Registry and Gift Forum

Registering for gifts online?

Hi!  My fiance and I are contemplating setting up a wedding gift registry through Amazon.com.  I know that department store shopping is being quickly replaced by Internet shopping, so we figured this would give our guests a different way to purchase gifts for our wedding.  Is this a tacky idea?  Should we also register with department stores, as well?  Thank you for your help!

Re: Registering for gifts online?

• I don't think it's tacky at all, but you might want one in-store registry for those who do not shop online. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you do the amazon one, you probably want a traditional one too. 

I just went to a baby shower where there was only an amazon registry... and of course several of us waited until that morning or the day before to shop... so I had to go rouge off-registry.  I also really wouldn't have wanted to pay shipping on something that I was going to wrap and carry to a shower. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Some friends of ours did Amazon only for their registry for their July 2010 wedding.  I wish they would have also done a traditional one.  I bought less expensive gifts for them because I had to also pay for shipping so the total cost would be about the same.  I went to her shower and had the gift shipped to my house first then took it with me, I hate showing up empty handed.  I am also the queen of grabbing something off the registry on the way to an event so that definitely put a kink in my gears. 

I think its acceptable to do an Amazon registry these are issues your guests will face it this is your only registry. 

• there's an online registry called myregistry.com where you can either get the items online or pick them up at the store...you can add stuff from basically any store...my sister used it and i think i'm going to also. It seems pretty easy and everyone used it for my sister's wedding.

• A couple friends of mine who got married this past summer only did Amazon.  But since you don't advertise where your register, a lot of people had no idea to look there.  I didn't even know until about 2 weeks before the wedding and I was one of the bridesmaids!  Maybe they were just bad with communication, but make sure people are aware by using a wedding website or having the BM's up to date so they can answer questions.  The downside to Amazon is that you have to deal with a lot shipping, and the possibilities of duplicates if people see the list and then go in and buy it in store.  It's a great idea though because then you technically aren't limited to 2 or 3 stores!  I just second the PP's in that you should do both an Amazon and a traditional registry for those who don't shop online.  Good luck!  Registry shopping is fun, but really tiring!

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • I registered at Amazon and liked it until I tried to return anything.  The returns have to go through the gift givers account, which won't work if anything is out of date with their account.  Also, the return window is 30 days.  And if someone doesn't give you the gift right away and there is anything wrong with it, you can't return it.
    However, I liked the universal registry function.  That lets you pick items from different stores and list them.  That way the return policy is with the store that it is bought from and you are less likely to have problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards