Hawaii

Post Wedding Ques re: WC Tip

I got married last week at a hotel and there was a main contact person I worked with as I planned my reception (not ceremony since this was at a church and completely separate) at the hotel.  She helped me with the floral order and booking the DJ - both vendors that are typically used by the hotel. She was there on the day of and delivered the flowers to my room (bouquets and hair flowers) and delivered the boutineres to the groom's room and came to get me during the photos so I could do the entrance to my reception. I am sure the hotel factors in the price of this planning help into their costs and there was a service charge with everything but does anyone have a suggestion as to IF I NEED TO TIP THE WC AND HOW MUCH? Thanks!

Re: Post Wedding Ques re: WC Tip

• fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there!  Congratulations on your marriage.  :)  To tell you the truth, I don't think there's a "set rule" on tipping your WC.  I asked our WC about tipping vendors in general and she said that "tips aren't expected, but always appreciated".  I think you should tip her, if you think it's well-deserved or if she went above and beyond for certain services.  

Other than that, I think it's entirely up to your discretion....  That probably doesn't help you out a lot, but I really do think it varies from case to case.  In general, I don't think it's expected, but always a bonus.  Instead of giving cash, you could always give a nice gift, hand-written card, or a gift certificate to show your appreciation.

On a side note, I know that hotels often have a percentage service charge added to catering bills and everything else.  However, I think that's usually for tipping service/waiting staff and the WC or Catering Manager isn't usually included.  I'm sure they get a commission somehow, but I don't think they get the extra tip that other service staff do.  Just something to keep in mind...  Hope that helps!  Congrats and enjoy your honeymoon!  Hope to see pics of the special day soon!  :)

• fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

P.S.  Different websites say different things about vendor tipping etiquette.  Some say up to 10% of the total wedding bill for the WC....but that might be a tad high...  This website seems to have a more decent tipping range:

It suggests that WC tipping is optional.  For a hotel catering manager or venue manager, it suggests $50.  For an independent coordination company (the vendor owns his/her company), tipping is optional.  HTH!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards