Canada-Ontario

Wedding Cake

Hey Ladies,

So I went to three different cake vendors. They ranged in different prices so my FI and I loved one of the cake vendors because their cake tasted really good. The only thing was they were pricey. They also design the cake for you so it's unique. I want a nice looking cake since it will sit at the reception the whole time until we cut it. My FI is really into a nice tasting cake. 

I'm being told that most guests do not eat the cake anyway so there is no point of spending so much on it. This is probably true however the other 2 cake place that we tried, we both hated the taste of it. 

So is this true people do not eat the cake at a wedding? what is the reason? Too much food eaten already by the guest or the guests usually expect the cake to taste like crap therefore they do not eat it. 

Re: Wedding Cake

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well some people cut their cake and serve it as dessert, which ensures that most people eat it.  That's a good choice if you are worried about it - because your pricey yummy cake won't go to waste!

For us, we cut it an hour after dinner, and we were left with a lot of cake.  We had a small 3-tier cake that was supposed to serve 100.  We asked them to keep the top tier for us unless all the cake was going fast, but we were left with half of the bottom tier at the end of the night too!  Our parents split that part but it was a LOT of cake gone to waste.  We didn't spend THAT much money ($300) compared to other cakes, but still!

At weddings I attend, sometimes I'll grab a little piece of cake if they cut it later on if I'm taking a dancing break, or I've had too much to drink and cake sounds like perfection at that moment, lol.  For the most part I don't go out of my way to eat it, but I always go right to it in the beginning to take pictures and see it all done up.  

I don't avoid it because I think it will taste bad - on the contrary - wedding cake now usually taste incredible compared to the fruit cake of the past.  It's simply because I've had a full meal already.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your wedding cake baker should be able to recommend the size of cake you need based on your guest count and how you are planning to serve the cake - whether it's the only dessert, individually served or part of a buffet table.

Also, the more flavours you have, the more likely it will get eaten. Some people will want to try all the flavours.

We had 160 guests and got enough cake for about 70, 2 flavours. It was part of the dessert buffet and we had a HUGE dinner, so we thought it would be enough. But apparently some people didn't get any at all... that was slightly embarrassing. It didn't help that the venue sliced the portions really large and saved the top tier for us when we had told them not to.

If it's good cake, people will eat it. FWIW I usually eat cake. You probably want enough cake for 50-70% of your guests but again, that depends how you plan to serve it. Ask your baker for their recommendation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I don't usually eat cake at weddings for 2 reasons:
    - it is served with other late night food and/or desserts and mini cheesecakes are more appealing than wedding cake
    - I forget.

I've heard that you should aim to get cake for ~75% of your guest list, but that of course would change if you are serving it for dessert or as the only late-night option.

Cayla - how much were your quotes for (if you don't mind me asking)?  I've gotten a couple quotes too, for $340 and one for $540 for 3-tier (6, 9, 12" rounds) including delivery and want to see how they compare to other people.
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Littlin, that's an amazing price.  The quotes I've been getting are all twice that.  Who was your baker?

OP, I've never eaten wedding cake before.  Having said that, they did cut up and serve my sister's wedding cake and most of it was eaten at the wedding.  Are you going to have any kind of sweet table?  Because if not, it's probably worthwhile to go for the expensive cake that tastes good.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • edited December 2011
    Hey ladies,

Thanks for all your insight. The cake will be served as part  of the sweet table later in the evening. We are having appetizer, pasta then beef and chicken for main entree with potatoes and veggies. The dessert is 3 different flavours of sorbet. So I am a little concerned that is not going to be eaten. We also have a cocktail hour before that. 

The cake that my FI and I thinking of getting is a madagascan vanilla cake with lemon buttercream and whole blubberries. When I had a consultation with this specific vendor they did recommend to only have enough for 70% of the guest. We are having about 150 people. I bought this flavour just as a cake so my family can taste and they all love it. The other 2 places were recommended to me by family and like I said the cake were really dry. My FI 's family always make their own cake/dessert for family gatherings so it is important that the cake taste good.

The cake is expensive, it starts at 600. I'm going for food tasting at the banquet hall in February. I am going to ask them if they can serve this cake along with the sorbet. Here is the cake vendor  http://www.cakeoperaco.com/
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Her name is Daniela Mier - sweetest woman ever, and she'll replicate or create your own - her website is: http://www.cakensdesigner.com/
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Littlin.  I'll check her out! :)
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • onetieronetier member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cakeoperaco is probably one of the most expensive cake bakers out there right now.  She does make fabulous cakes but if you aren't really into spending that money and not making your cake the centerpiece of the night, I wouldn't go with her.

Try someplace like Irresistible Cakes.  They have a good taste.  Or Dufflet.  They will come in at a way better price range.

I agree with what everyone else has suggested as well with only going with 70-75% of the guests.

It's just a stigma that is attached to wedding cake because wedding cakes have been so poorly made and bad tasting for so long people don't even bother trying anymore.  I think that going for a smaller, good tasting cake is more important than going for one that is bigger and poor tasting.  If it happens that there is none left at the end, then I say that says something about the good choice you made!
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ordered a white chocolate cheese cake and we are serving it for dinner (With fresh fruit, drizzle.. all that stuff)

That said, if you aren't using it as a main dessert I was told to order for 50% of the guests..

Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• edited December 2011
    Hey all!

I had to post because I have a friend in the cake business.

She has done dozens of wedding cakes now, but as she is still relatively new her prices are way below average! She's done a couple of knotties and she's doing mine :D

Check her out www.acheforcake.com or on Facebook :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards