Oregon
Options

Current wedding theme: confused.

I am having a hard time creating a cohesive theme to my June wedding in Portland. We are getting married in a very traditional lutheran church with dark wood and stained glass. Then our venue (Urban Studio) is very modern and urban (as the name suggests.) Two very contrasting settings.

The decor I find myself loving is the kind of homespun-look, like the weddings found on stylemepretty.com and oncewed.com. They are indie, vintage-inspired, DIY and often outdoors... mason jars and eclectic feel. I just don't think this will match our settings, let alone bridge them.

How did you choose your theme?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Current wedding theme: confused.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a total DIY wedding in ballroom.  Everyone in my family was worried about whether everything would go together and if it would mesh and so on.

I just did whatever I wanted, and I've been told that everything looked beautiful and pulled together just fine.

I had no set colors... and I didn't really have a theme.  I just kinda went with what I wanted.

If you see something that you like, go with it.

Something that might help you out though, would be to pick out a few colors you like, and go with that pallet. 

Also, draw from things that remind you of you and your FI. 
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that the theme that you love could absolutely work!

An idea that I had when reading this, was if you took a color like Champagne or Navy, or something rich like that, and put the wedding party in it for the ceremony and then for the venue added a fun hue like yellow, spring green, spring orange, fuschia, or light pruple or light blue or soemthing, you could really liven it up with that color and modernize it for the urban loft!  I know that the Champagne color would be something that would work in both palettes, and its not too dark for a june wedding.  I hope this made sense and helped! If I understand the decorating style you were describing, then I have found it looks superb with brighter and lighter colors. Have you checked Etsy for stuff?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

@Payne2Surrey - I LOVE the idea of doing Navy for the bridesmaids dresses than punching it up a bit at the reception. What about going with Navy, Magenta with accents of lime? Sounds like a lot of color, but I have been to a wedding where they did that and it looked GREAT!

You could do different shades of deep pink flowers in mason jars, navy ribbon accents, lots of candles, and perhaps a few wreaths on the doors of the modern venue to give it a more relaxed feel? Don't forget to dress up tables in cute vintage type ways, what about a dessert bar displayed using antique cake plates? You could sew some fabric pennant garlands to hang along tables, make little navy/magenta/lime ribbon sticks to wave at the send-off. Don't forget that simple decor can go a long way. Find some old trunks or luggage and place them in corners of the space then prop open the lids and fill them with flowers you can get wholesale from local vendors or even from a friends backyard. Big blooms like hydrangea work really well for this type of thing and transport easily. Keep things vintage feeling with you favors and invitation suite too. Choose a less-modern type invitation to get things off to the right foot and make a memorable home-spun ending by sending gusts home with jam or honey in a mason jar with a personalized label.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards