Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Confused by Catering price differences

I went about RFPing caterers a little differently.

I sent them ideas on what I wanted to do for a menu and asked them to give me their feedback and pricing.

One caterer offered it for about $55 a head, while another offered $125 a head.

The difference seems a bit drastic- is this normal?

I just feel like I'm being taken advantage of by the latter just because of the difference is pricing. 

Any thoughts on why this could be this way?

Thank You!

Re: Confused by Catering price differences

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Make sure you check what each includes-- one might be food only, the other includes servers, linens, silverware, etc. Also factor in taxes and tips-- check if any of them already include it.

But yeah, I had gotten a bunch of quotes too, and ever after I factored everything in, they came out so widely different. For the record, we went with Chef Roland, who was the cheapest, and our food was amazing. And he included so much more than anyone else would have for more money.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It varies a ton....no doubt about it ...the level of polish and service are some of the reason at times.  More pricy caterers have more artistic set up and service generally.  Often many more servers and helpers too.  

Figure out your budget and ask them for references. And of course a tasting is always good if you can get there. 

• Options
    GBroc22GBroc22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is normal, and as PP said, check to see what you're getting.  Is it just food, or is one caterer showing you complete cost (with service, linens, etc.).  Also, food quality can drastically vary. I'd look into reviews on each caterer and then gauge where the happy medium between price and quality falls for you! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your responses.

They both offer the same and don't include any linens etc or service!

I'll look for reviews.

Thank You!!!!
  • Options
    mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes definitely look at peoples reviews or talk to people who have eaten the food before.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards