Attire & Accessories Forum

discouraged dress shopper

I keep finding beautiful gowns online that I would love to try on.  It never fails though. I call the local shops listed on the designer's site and, yes they carry the line, but no they don't have that specific dress!  Many have told me that I would have to BUY the dress in order for them to get it because the designer doesn't "loan" them to the shops.  How the hell am I supposed to buy a dress I've never tried on!  I've tried just going in to a shop to see what they have available but I haven't had any luck yet...
I have time but this isn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

Re: discouraged dress shopper

• I don't know if it's possible to travel to a larger city? You could always pick out the dresses you like, call the stores in another city to ensure they have them and try them on.
  • I found that falling in love with dresses online isn't fun... I kept falling in love with all these dresses would drive hours to go see them and find that in person... they don't look good at alll!!! The last time i drove 2 hrs to see a dress I found online and ended up finally finding my dress... and it WASN'T the one I found online!

I would suggest finding the styles that you like and not getting attached to one online! Just keep trying and sometimes you find your dress when you least expect it like I did!

good luck :)
  • I had ALL of these dresses bookmarked online, and guess what? I didn't like many of them when I tried them on in the store. I actually picked all dresses from completely different designers. Were you picky when you were browsing through the dresses? My mom and my aunt picked out dresses for me, and I reluctantly tried them on to appease them. I loved them! Sometimes it's hard to judge just by looking at them on the rack; you have to try it all.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • HawkteacherHawkteacher member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Go to a store and forget online!  I found that everything I thought I would like looks awful on me and a dress that I would have never thought of was "the one."  Besides that, it's just so much more fun to go and try on a bunch of dresses in a store instead of looking at tiny thumbnails.  Photos just can't capture what a dress really looks like in person.
  • I found my dress online and no one around me carries it.  I took a picture to the shop and they were wonderful at picking out similar dresses for me to try on (ones with the same shape, neckline, similar gathering, etc.).  I wound up loving the style and after seeing myself in similar dresses (it took three or four to see what each part would look like) I was able to decide on ordering it. 
  • Thanks for letting me complain girls.  I'm going shopping again today.  Wish me luck!
  • I am not sure where you are shopping but most good stores, and I want to stress good.  Most of those good stores can borrow a sample.  The only thing they should charge you is a small amount that the designer company charges them to get the dress, that is fair.  I asked my store to "borrow" a dress and they did.  I decided on a different version but had the other to compare and paid the other charges gladly.  Finally, after ordering my gown they credited that small charge to my account.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_discouraged-dress-shopper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:6aeeb9ce-3262-488c-b7ab-a085613d9a1cPost:f4613468-3f79-421f-afcd-73de65d4abeb">Re: discouraged dress shopper</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had ALL of these dresses bookmarked online, and guess what? I didn't like many of them when I tried them on in the store. I actually picked all dresses from completely different designers. Were you picky when you were browsing through the dresses? My mom and my aunt picked out dresses for me, and I reluctantly tried them on to appease them. I loved them! Sometimes it's hard to judge just by looking at them on the rack; you have to try it all.
    Posted by mstar284[/QUOTE]

This. This is EXACTLY what I did as well, and I wound up with a dress I thought I would hate when I tried it on.. I always thought I wanted simple - turns out, the more detailed the better! I also thought I hated strapless - guess what I bought? Thank goodness my mom made me try on those other dresses..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I did the same thing - I had my 4 top favs online - but went to stores and tried on similar ones, and even completely different ones since I could not find those 4 anywhere!  I found a different dress which i liked a lot - but wasnt totally sold on it - it was a little out of my price range which my parents said they would cover if i couldnt.  I have family in Minneapolis (3-4 hour drive) and went up there one weekend in my search, and found one of the 4 dresses - i bought it that day. 

Everyone is different (and yes it's kind of a pain to drive 4 hours for my fitting (july 10th!) and to go pick it up a few weeks after - but i get to see family while im there.  So like PP post said if you have the option of traveling to a different city you should - even if its jsut to give you piece of mind that you found it and its not the one VS thinking your "settling"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Go try them on! I said for months I didn't want a strapless but I only tried on one wedding dress that I tore out of a magazine thinking I woulnd't like it once I tried it on and I LOVED IT. I could not be happier plus shopping is a good time to let your friends and moms be invovled. This is the one time you really need someones opinion
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards