Maryland
Options

XP: Ceremony Musicians

(Crossposting this on the Maryland-Baltimore and DC boards)

We decided we would like to have a string quartet/trio for the ceremony only.  Our reception venue is about half an hour away from the church, so we won't be having them travel there for the cocktail hour (our DJ will handle that part).

That being said, what is a reasonable price?  I've been quoted anything from $500 to $800 for a quartet, slightly less for a trio.  We want all strings, no flutes or guitars or harps.

I've read a lot of good reviews for Antares, but they were at the high end of the price range.  Chesapeake Strings also had some decent reviews.

Who have you worked with in the past and would you recommend them?  Is $800 reasonable for an hour of work?  And do I need to tip them on top of that?

Thanks in advance.

Re: XP: Ceremony Musicians

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In my experience, $500-$800 range for a string quartet is pretty standard. I've seen them go much much higher, but not any lower. Imho it's a little much for only an hour, but you have to keep in mind it's a very specialized skill and most professional musicians have dedicated years, if not decades, getting as good as they are.

I never expect any extra gratuity from any of my clients other than what I charge as a service fee, so although it's always a nice bonus, it certainly is not necessary imo.

Best of luck with everything!

Cheers.
  • Options
    4n6chick4n6chick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you very much!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards