Missouri-Kansas City

KC Ballrooms

Hi all,
I'm still in the process of investigating KC venues! I'm most interested in large ballroom-style venues in the downtown/midtown/Plaza area that can accomodate 275+.

I've either taken tours and/or spoken with reps already at these venues:
- Grand Ballroom in KC Convention Center
- The Sawyer Room
- Town Pavilion
- Kauffman Performing Arts Center
- Hilton President
- Crowne Plaza downtown
- Marriott downtown
- Intercontinental

I'd consider Union Station ... but after trying to contact three different people on multiple occasions with no response, I've given up!

Are there any ballroom sort of venues that I'm missing???

Also ... does anyone know about The Grand Reserve? I've seen photos of weddings here on a few different photographer's websites. I love the photos, and all the websites point to www.thegrandreservekc.com as the website. That doesn't seem to be a real website. Frown

Thanks!

Re: KC Ballrooms

• What are you looking for besides a ballroom?  Do you want in house catering?  Ceremony?  Certain decor?  I would list your pros and cons of the places you've visited and make a "wish list" of things in order of what you really want in a venue.

As far as the Grand Reserve, I know their website used to work because my mom contacted them last year when we were looking at venues.  From my google search I didn't turn up too much and it appears some of their previous listings on wedding sites have been removed, so I'm not sure what that about.  I would just call their number to inquire about the venue. 
  • Thanks!

To answer Kelley's questions ... I'll be getting married in a church, so I'm not concerned about the ceremony and reception in one location. I'm open to different features of venues in my 'searching' process, so I'm interested in learning about as many as possible. I know, I have a "get all options on the table" approach. We're not in a hurry. Cool

I'm just hoping that I haven't overlooked any ballroom venues in the downtown/Plaza areas. 

And no ... I've never heard of Scarritt Ballroom!
  • There is another Marriott in the Plaza but I honestly cannot remember how many people their ballroom can accommodate.  

Not exactly downtown but pretty close the former Hyatt Regency Crown Center (now the Sheraton Crown Center) and the Westin Crown Center have decent ballrooms, my guess is they can accommodate a group as large as yours.  
  • Laurenbiz-- Unfortunately I have not started to look at any reception sites yet, but I am curious what you thought about the last 3 venues on your list... Crown Plaza downtown, Marriott downtown, and the Intercontinental are literally the top three venues I want to scout out first. Since you toured them, would you have any (brief) tips/reviews about these?? Thanks so much, and good luck with your search!

Also, I'm not sure if this is the same one, but did you consider the Little Theater at the convention center?
  • Oh, I also forgot to mention The Clubhouse on Baltimore!  It's also very nice.

http://theclubhouseonbaltimore.com/rooms.asp
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_kc-ballrooms?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:82Discussion:eaebd275-6f16-4bc7-b483-683a199bdc82Post:e23a47da-0b6b-48f2-80e1-3494b5146b85">Re: KC Ballrooms</a>:
    [QUOTE]Laurenbiz-- Unfortunately I have not started to look at any reception sites yet, but I am curious what you thought about the last 3 venues on your list... Crown Plaza downtown, Marriott downtown, and the Intercontinental are literally the top three venues I want to scout out first. 
    Posted by sapink[/QUOTE]

<div>I toured Crown Plaza downtown it was originally my top venue choice and I attended an event at the Marriott downtown.  The ballroom at Crown Plaza to me is flawless! Loved the 360 views of the city.  I just felt that outside of the ballroom the set up was awkward.  There is a decent size room that you can do ceremony or cocktails near the ballroom but I wanted to use that space for ceremony but then the only other place I could use for cocktails was the ballroom itself which I did not care for.  Also you may find that their food & drink minimum is higher than other venues. They told me this was because they only have one ballroom and can only do one event a night where as places like the the Hyatt Regency can do two or three.  I was able to negotiate their price down a bit but decided to go with another venue. </div><div>
    </div><div>The Marriott is really big and spacious it was just a little outdated for my taste.  Oh and I did see pictures from a wedding that was held at the Intercontinental and it was gorgeous! </div>
  • Was the grand reserve one of the places that got shut down?  I also had no luck contacting Union Station.  The Sawyer Room is really pretty, just only one room which through me off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards