Honeymoon Discussions
Options

No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?

Well, my FI still owes $700 in back child support and they won't give up his passport so looking more and more like our Mexico honeymoon won't happen. :( Is there anywhere else that you all have ideas for us?

Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?

• Options
    ...can you give more info about yourselves and your budget? Where have you been before? You could look into Hawaii or Puerto Rico or an Alaskan Cruise (one that doesn't stop in Canada). Do you want white sandy beaches? a place rich in history? a great party?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Also, why doesn't your FI just say the 700$ in back child support so he can get his passport?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have really been saving for a year and a half for this wedding and honeymoon and to be totally honest, he just got done paying on his sons child support. We really didn't even think it was a issue only because he for one owed so little and he has been always paying on his child support his sons entire life and what not. It was 2 months of non payment due to his job. We have just been trying so hard to get a nice wedding which I have slimmed down to a total of $2,500 for our entier wedding and we just really wanted a nice honeymoon which we have been making payments on thru Apple vacations. Trust me if we had the $700 we would just pay it and get it done with. We would really love a beach setting, our budget is small but like i said we have been saving about $150 a month since Jan with Apple not much we could think of. I did not think of a cruise hummmm... Sorry for a long story. It just totally took us by surprise.
  • Options
    If you can afford a honeymoon, you can afford the pay the child support. Pay that first and then see where your budget is at. Then you can decide where to go for a honeymoon.
  • Options
    Smallen forever not sure that would work, I did call Apple and they said they would only take it all due to the fact the insurance does not cover anything with the issue of a passport so we will be out the $2200 for the honeymoon we booked. It was not even thought of oh well guess we would re try for a wedding and honeymoon next year. I will have to get it all done soon since our wedding is in 67 days. :(
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-mexico-honeymoon-any-other-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6615cd8c-ac7c-47c9-bac7-8a35f1c55ed9Post:ed5d8849-5616-4e5b-9969-f3f8239774ba">Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you can afford a honeymoon, you can afford the pay the child support. Pay that first and then see where your budget is at. Then you can decide where to go for a honeymoon.
    Posted by SmallenForever[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I'm sorry but that child (or children) comes first. Any vacation can wait. I personally wouldn't even think about a wedding until any major debts are paid. But since you didn't ask my opinion, how about Florida?
  • Options
    Florida might work maybe Apple can do that, the child is in College and we pay for part of that too. But since noone asked I thought I would let you all know. :)
  • Options
    I totally agree with you that is why my FI makes his payments and we have been making payments to Apple for the honeymoon.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-mexico-honeymoon-any-other-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6615cd8c-ac7c-47c9-bac7-8a35f1c55ed9Post:ed5d8849-5616-4e5b-9969-f3f8239774ba">Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you can afford a honeymoon, you can afford the pay the child support. Pay that first and then see where your budget is at. Then you can decide where to go for a honeymoon.
    Posted by SmallenForever[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    That might be our best choice and I really don't mine either. Thanks for your suggestion.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-mexico-honeymoon-any-other-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6615cd8c-ac7c-47c9-bac7-8a35f1c55ed9Post:e70d53b6-c9a2-4966-b5c5-345f1ed43c4b">Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Florida is nice, just don't come during hurricane season. Why don't you just wait to take the honeymoon you want? We waited months to go on our honeymoon because that was when it was convenient for us to take off work. You'll enjoy your vacation more if you have the energy to sightsee and do stuff, instead of just sleeping off the wedding.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    So you've already put money towards a vacation, which is non-refundable, but you can change the destination, correct?  Can you postpone it as well?  Perhaps give yourselves 6 months to pay off the child support and get a passport and then you can go to your original destination?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Why would you give Apple Vacations money to hold for you for a vacation that's not yet booked?  Why not at least earn a little interest in a savings account rather than letting Apple Vacations have an interest free loan?  What is the benefit to you?
  • Options
    The vacation is booked, with Apple you can make payments to your vacation.We live on a budget of payments and this was a way with AAA to allow us to get a honeymoon. I didn't know that it was going to be such a issue.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-mexico-honeymoon-any-other-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6615cd8c-ac7c-47c9-bac7-8a35f1c55ed9Post:1a9b9ebc-15ee-4524-aa41-aa6ba0925dd2">Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why would you give Apple Vacations money to hold for you for a vacation that's not yet booked?  Why not at least earn a little interest in a savings account rather than letting Apple Vacations have an interest free loan?  What is the benefit to you?
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Yes that is correct, we are waiting to hear from our travel agent since our vacation was paid off this last week. We spoke about it last night and decided ya know if we have to wait we will. It was not even thought of as stated in the last response it was just like an everyday expense we pay and didn't think oh he can't get a passport since he owes so little and it's just not a big deal. But it was and it is what it is and if we have to wait we will. :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-mexico-honeymoon-any-other-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6615cd8c-ac7c-47c9-bac7-8a35f1c55ed9Post:d855b5c8-af2b-420d-b9c7-a8d8ad224d87">Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So you've already put money towards a vacation, which is non-refundable, but you can change the destination, correct?  Can you postpone it as well?  Perhaps give yourselves 6 months to pay off the child support and get a passport and then you can go to your original destination?
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    in my eyes you have no business paying anything for a wedding or vacay until his child support is current.
    sorry.
    hold off on a vacation until after you take care of his responsibility with his child.

• Options
    I really don't even know what to say to this. I pray it all works out and we can move forward. Nothing is ever perfect... :) Be blessed everyone.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-mexico-honeymoon-any-other-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6615cd8c-ac7c-47c9-bac7-8a35f1c55ed9Post:24dbaea3-031f-471c-a1e6-d1f880ab248d">Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]in my eyes you have no business paying anything for a wedding or vacay until his child support is current. sorry. hold off on a vacation until after you take care of his responsibility with his child.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    FWIW, I'm not trying to be rude or in your business, but since you put it out there...
    Don't you think he should have paid the child support before ANY deposit was made on wedding and/or HM?  His child support should be priority over vacation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-mexico-honeymoon-any-other-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6615cd8c-ac7c-47c9-bac7-8a35f1c55ed9Post:b26af499-c6b8-4e3d-97b3-7eeb25f8bb25">Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FWIW, I'm not trying to be rude or in your business, but since you put it out there... Don't you think he should have paid the child support before ANY deposit was made on wedding and/or HM?  His child support should be priority over vacation.
    Posted by LiLe422[/QUOTE]

Co-signed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It wasn't even a thought to be honest and that's all there is to it. Either way it will work out somehow. If we have to wait then we have to wait, if we have to get married then go on HM great too. I am tired of stressing I really was looking for other options to go somewhere with the money that was saved. Child support is being paid.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-mexico-honeymoon-any-other-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:6615cd8c-ac7c-47c9-bac7-8a35f1c55ed9Post:b26af499-c6b8-4e3d-97b3-7eeb25f8bb25">Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FWIW, I'm not trying to be rude or in your business, but since you put it out there... Don't you think he should have paid the child support before ANY deposit was made on wedding and/or HM?  His child support should be priority over vacation.
    Posted by LiLe422[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I am sorry you all, I really wish you knew us because we are a great family. It was a lesson learned for sure. :) We decided to get married and figure it out from there. I hope everyones weddings and lifes are great. Thanks.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_no-mexico-honeymoon-any-other-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:6615cd8c-ac7c-47c9-bac7-8a35f1c55ed9Post:f68985e0-7a69-4987-b949-8aae3e007014">Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>It wasn't even a thought to be honest and that's all there is to it.</strong> Either way it will work out somehow. If we have to wait then we have to wait, if we have to get married then go on HM great too. I am tired of stressing <span style="font-weight:bold;">I really was looking for other options to go somewhere with the money that was saved.</span> <strong>Child support is being paid.</strong> In Response to Re: No Mexico honeymoon any other ideas? :
    Posted by harjess[/QUOTE]

The thing is, he has a legal obligation to pay XX amount of $$ in support.  You cannot be oblivious to the fact that that $$ must be paid or there will be consequences for him. 

Maybe you guys can take that money saved and pay his back support so you can start fresh.  And if it is being paid, then he should have no problem getting his passport back and you guys can go on your Mexico honeymoon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ugh....ANYWAY....let me help u. (I work for child support). When is your honeymoon? If it's after tax season, it'll be paid becuz they'll take his income tax check. Also, see if your CSEA requires him to pay the full amount or just the partial amount. In Ohio, we don't require the full arrearage to be paid to release a drivers license or passport. Don't let people get u don't....s*it happens....sometimes child support gets behind due to no fault of the clients fault....there's plenty ofmsituations where people lose passports and licenses due to agency error. Of course child support is important, but he is obviously paying monthly now. Don't feel bad for wanting to take a vacation. It's not like he is a deadbeat! Also find out if they have an amnesty program....in my county, we have one every year. I hope that you can have the vacation of your dreams :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards