Missouri-Kansas City
Options

Recommendations for Cheap Welcome Lunch Location?

We're looking to spend as little as possible (less than $2000 if possible) for a welcome lunch for about 75 people, but the location we wanted turned out to not work for us.  We were going to go to Jack Stack at the Freighthouse, but they wouldn't budge on some little things that bugged me ($2 per soda, no refills?  Come on...).

We'd like something casual but "KC" for all of our OOT guests.  As close to the Plaza/downtown as possible.

This will be October, so I'm a little wary of outdoor sites.  I wish we could rely on the weather to be good because I'd love to do something at a park and just bring in Hy-Vee or something, but I don't think I want to take that risk.

Any suggestions?

Re: Recommendations for Cheap Welcome Lunch Location?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    oh, and obviously with the amount of people our house is out of the question.  And our hotel is the Residence Inn, which doesn't have a big enough space.  We'd be willing to switch hotels I suppose, if one had a good location for the lunch.
  • Options
    HammysGirlHammysGirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm...what day are you wanting to do the welcome lunch on?

Have you thought about trying to rent one of the studio "reception" places in that area but for lunch instead? I don't know if there'd be a price break or not but then you could bring your own caterer.

We were thinking about doing Buca de Peppo for our RD since their portions are so large/family stlye; depending on what you order, it may be possible to get it under $2K (I haven't really looked into it yet, so I couldn't say for sure).

If I think of anything else, I'll post it! ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if you're after a specific kind of food, but Manny's does excellent (and really, really affordable) mexican and it's not too far from the Plaza.  You could also try one of the steakhouses in town as well.  Steak's almost as "Kansas City" as BBQ. 
  • Options
    QueenofQuirkyQueenofQuirky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking Oklahoma Joe's but then you are still stuck without a location to eat it in. :) You don't want to eat it there since it is a gas station. But price-wise they would be in your budget and they were rated one of the 10 places to visit before you die by national food critic Anthony Bordain.

Re: the Plaza, it's so hard to find non-chain restaurants there anymore, isn't it?  Classic Cup has a great private dining area, but it might be too much. Ok, so need to find an affordable location that serves food to a private group in the restaurant:

You could do a few places:
    Cupinis (in Westport) - Italian but locally owned. Maybe not as "Kansas City" as you hoped to be.

McCoys- a local brewery in Westport. Nothing says local than homemade beer? :)

If I think of others, I will let you know. Sorry for the rambling response.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards