Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

How to handle service charge for facility / food?

I hope all you recent newlyweds can help me out.
I am looking at multiple venues, and some automatically incude a 20% service charge and then tax you on top of it. Others do not inculde this service charge.
At first, I thought, Great!, no service charge. Then I figured if I am tipping my DJ, Photographer, etc, I should tip the facility, especially if they are helping me out with coordination. Then I thought, Maybe their $110/ pp fee inculdes them already tipping their vendors, so I shouldn't just fork over 20%. But I'd feel like I'm insulting them if I don't give 20% for a job well done.
So my question is, when facilities don't include a service charge, are they just leaving it to your discretion to tip, just as a restaurant would? And do I automatically tip 20 or 15% for a job well done?
Help! I don't want to insult anyone, but don't need to ovetrip...

Re: How to handle service charge for facility / food?

• Some venues break out the contract to clearly show a per-plate cost, the tip, the tax, and a total.
    Other venues just give the total.

I would just pay what the venue charges.  It's up to the venue to break out the costs.  I've never heard of anyone tipping the venue on TOP of the total.
  • It really varies from one venue to the next.  How large a party are you having?  I would be very surprised if tip were not included if it's going to involve numerous staff, since there's no way you could tip them all yourself on wedding day.  I'd try to get the venue to put in writing so you don't have any surprises later.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Most venues do charge the 15-20% service charge and then sometimes another for your normal tax. Our venue had everything clearly stated in the contract, so I would definitely get them to break it all down for you so there are not any surprises when you pay the final bill. That is the last thing you want right before your wedding or on your wedding night.

If they say that it is up to you to do the tipping, I would just do the normal 15-20% like you would in a restaurant, plus, that is what most of the venues are charging anyway. I think ours was 18%.
  • Ask for an itemized break down per venue.  If they don't supply one, and they are the cheapest, then go with them - pending if the reviews are good about that place. Else look elsewhere.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Our venue did not have the service charge and it is part of the reason we went with them.  It was included in the total charge and we didn't tip anybody from the staff that night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards