Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

1st Dress Shopping Trip / Did you go Princess??

So I 'm going this weekend for my first dress shopping trip.  I'm being realistic & don't expect to find "the one" on my first trip; I'll just be happy if I can figure out what styles look good on my curvy frame. 

So the question is this... Did you try on at least one "Princess" gown?  Did you think you wanted that when you went in?  I'm 95% sure I'm not going down that road, but kinda feel I want to try on one, anyways... just so I won't regret not doing it... what do you think?

Re: 1st Dress Shopping Trip / Did you go Princess??

• Options
    Not really but I am having a destination wedding and knew I didn't want that at all.
  • Options
    I let the consultants put me in whatever they wanted. I've tried on strapped, strapless, fitted, princess, etc. You'll be surprised what looks good on you (seriously). Tell them if you have an idea what you want, but let them know you're not TOTALLY positive and you'd like to try on some different looks, too. 

Have fun!
    tiffandshel.tumblr.com
    www.tiffandshel.com/wedding

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    Try on everything you can, even if you don't care for what it looks like on the rack. I tried on TONS of empire-waist & halter-top & split-front dresses in flowy chiffony fabrics (they were all the ones I loved in the magazines and catalogs). Never liked any of them.

On my third shopping trip the consultant brought me a strapless ivory satin gown with a slightly dropped waist empasized by a wide band of beading/embrodery, and I thought "Ugh, that'll make my hips look EVEN BIGGER."

I put it on and it was MY DRESS. I bought it two days later and took it home with me right from the store. :)

• Options
    One of the first things I was told by the woman who was helping me was to not judge a dress by what it looks like on the rack (or on another woman..) I tried on this one dress that I was in love with, but I was NOT in love with how it looked on me :(

I do understand the feeling about 'princess' dresses though. Even if I don't know what looks good on me, I really wanted something that wasn't too poofy or heavy! I tried on one though because my friend wanted to see what I looked like on it. She loved it but me, not so much />.>

Try it on, just in case ;)
    Anniversary
    wedding bio
  • Options
    I wanted a princess dress :) In high school I never wore those big, over-the-top things and while I didn't want miles of fabric, I did want to go "slightly" all out. Plus I have short legs, so my best options were an a-line or a ballgown.

This is a dress I had a down payment on at first (in ivory):
    http://www.morilee.com/Bridals/Blu/dressint.php?idves=4524&idcat=1&idscat=3&npic=6&npag=2&bsel=

And this is the dress I found when I went back to double check ALL the dresses!
    http://www.morilee.com/Bridals/Voyage/dressint.php?idves=3654&idcat=1&idscat=2&npic=3&npag=4&bsel=

It was just what I was looking for the first time, but all we found the first time were ballgowns with tremendous trains and I hated that.

I agree with PPs, try on everything. You never know what might look fabulous!
  • Options
    rtv3rtv3 member
    First Comment
    ipwtfa91 - I love your dress!! Mine is from Mori Lee's Voyage line too, #6133 :)
    With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rtv3, we're almost dress twins! Haha. Mine has that sort of scattered embellishment on the bottom too, but you can't really tell from the picture. I love your dress...but that bodice would NOT flatter me. Although I am trying super hard to get back in shape pre-wedding, but still...I picked a "safer" dress :)
  • Options
    I was about to buy a princess style dress, it was pretty, well made, looked great on me and fit my tight requirements (no beading, lace, sparkles, ruffles or embroidery of any kind, I would not need a fancy undergarment, and the fabric was not shiny, and if well defined my waist), it was the first one I tried on and I would have bought it but I was hesitating because the bridal shop people were rude and unhelpful and I will be moving before their alterations timelime. I ended up trying on some dresses for fun while BM dress shopping with my sisters at Davids bridal, and found one I love so much more that doesnt fit my requirements at all! It is a sheath ie, no waistband, has some ruffle/flower type embellishments, and I will have to wear spanks or something.  Go figure!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards