July 2012 Weddings
Options

Memorial Day Weekend

My mom spilled the beans last night and told me that my shower is being planned for May 27, Memorial Day Weekend (she's hosting it)... I knew her planning a surprise shower would never work hahaha. 

Anyway, anyone else have any wedding-related activities planned for that same weekend? 

MDW is kind of a big holiday weekend in NJ where massive amounts of people travel to the shore, and other spots around the state... so I'm thinking that having a shower that weekend will be a pain in the ass for people who have to travel... even a short distance.  Also, a lot of people plan vacations and trips for that weekend, too, and I'd hate to have people plan it around my shower.  So should I suggest to my mom to plan it for a different weekend?  Or just let it go?

Apparently none of my bridal party even knows about it because one of my BM's is planning a mini-bachelorette party down the shore for the Friday night of that same weekend.

Blah... sorry for the length... I'm not sure what to do.  I'm really not used to all of this attention and planning just for me.
Follow Me on Pinterest
Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Memorial Day Weekend

• Options
    Hmmmmm this is a tough one! I am personally going to be traveling with my fiance for a mini-vacay to see his cousin graduate down in Orlando, and I would guess that lots of people would (probably) already have travel plans at this point, if they were going to have them.  Lots of people go on getaways for Memorial Day, so I would worry about people already having plans. 

That being said, perhaps your mom has already sent out emails telling people about the date so they can plan?? 

I am going to two weddings the weekend of Labor Day, so I don't think it is totally unacceptable to plan wedding related activities for holiday weekends...I just think you have to plan pretty far in advance and tell people about the date early so they can make proper arrangements. 
  • Options
    PS My shower is kind of similar - the day before Mother's Day - but my cousins decided to do it that way since, hopefully, lots of my college aged cousins will be back in town visiting their Moms for the weekend and will be able to come to my shower the day before :) so I think it really just depends on what people's plans are!!
  • Options
    If the bridal party does not know about it and no invites have been ordered I would ask your mom to try and change the date.  I know that I would not want to go to a shower that weekend because we do always go to the shore for the weekend.  I just think the turn out of your shower won't be that big on a holiday weekend.  Is she flexible with dates? 
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Hmm that's a tough one. I'm sort of a control freak and wouldn't like the idea of someone planning something for me without even asking me for a time preference, but that's just me.

I guess in your situation it sort of depends on what the guest list looks like. Are a lot of people on the list going to be traveling that weekend? Do you have a lot of local people that would be coming? I guess I would sit down with your mom and let her know your concerns about this. I know it's hard because you want to be grateful and not be too involved in something that was supposed to be a surprise but you're right, that weekend is kind of a big deal and a lot of people plan 3-day weekend trips.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    My gut is telling me it's a bad idea for all of the reasons you girls have mentioned.  I don't think anyone really knows about it yet, either... and with it being on a holiday weekend (and not really that far away), I doubt anyone would be able to come.  I'll talk about it with her tonight when I see her.

PS - I don't think I would even want to go to my shower that weekend hahaha
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    My shower is only at the end of June, and I have to work Memorial Day weekend... :(
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_memorial-day-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:c797cf61-fa6c-43a9-924a-3cfb699162c6Post:f81c4f2c-e019-47f2-8488-a030f9d1f766">Re: Memorial Day Weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]If the bridal party does not know about it and no invites have been ordered I would ask your mom to try and change the date.  I know that I would not want to go to a shower that weekend because we do always go to the shore for the weekend.  I just think the turn out of your shower won't be that big on a holiday weekend.  Is she flexible with dates? 
    Posted by LADY324[/QUOTE]

I kind of agree. As someone from Philly, I know how MDW is for people in PA/NJ and I too already have plans for that weekend. If she hasn't set the date or told anyone yet, I would LIGHTLY suggest that she move the date. Just mention what you said to us - that you're concerned people will be feel obligated to travel on a very busy holiday, or that people important to you may already have plans, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Same here-my sister and brother who live out of state usually come home for MDW and our family has a big BBQ. So, it just made most sense to turn that party into a bridal shower! 

I can see why it wouldn't be a great weekend. As PPs have said, you know your guest list, so if you know it will cause a lot of change in plans or no-shows from people you'd like there, discuss a different date. Good luck, showers should be FUN not stressful, right?! :-) 
    ~ES~
  • Options
    That's my birthday! 
    But to answer your question, growing up I almost always had birthday parties the weekend before or after because everyone was out of town on MDW. I agree that if she's not far along in the planning process another weekend might be better.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto pps--try suggesting another weekend if invites haven't been sent out.  I know I planned to go to Vegas that weekend at the end of last year, so I'd imagine a lot of other people made plans early on for that weekend, too.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_memorial-day-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:c797cf61-fa6c-43a9-924a-3cfb699162c6Post:db6814e7-8a48-4c4e-8c2e-0e96f4995fa1">Re: Memorial Day Weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]My gut is telling me it's a bad idea for all of the reasons you girls have mentioned.  I don't think anyone really knows about it yet, either... and with it being on a holiday weekend (and not really that far away), I doubt anyone would be able to come.  I'll talk about it with her tonight when I see her. PS -<strong> I don't think I would even want to go to my shower that weekend hahaha</strong>
    Posted by k8888[/QUOTE]

<div>Hehe. :)  </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    I agree with the pp's.  I had a graduation party from college that weekend (because it worked for family) but most of my friends couldn't make it because they had other plans.  I would ask her to change to a different weekend if possible

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards