California-Northern
Options

San Francisco Bay Area Catering Prices

Does anyone know the average price range for decent catering in the San Francisco Bay area?  I've just begun planning my wedding and have found a few seemingly inexpensive ceremony/reception venues that let you bring your own caterer and I'm wondering just how much this saves.  It seems like the venues I've seen so far with required in-house catering range from $40-$150. Would love some insight if anyone has researched outside catering. 
My Blog: onewaytothebay.wordpress.com

Re: San Francisco Bay Area Catering Prices

• Options
    edited December 2011
    $40+/person is what I've found for outside/independent caterers. That's before tax and gratuity, and may just be dinner, no cocktail hour. Also, no alcohol.

We got a complete proposal from Wedgewood, which is one of the less expensive all-in-one venues. I think it worked out to $30-50/person for the food, with appetizers/cocktail hour. It was the same price buffet or plated. I think vendor meals were $25/each.

We looked at some venues with approved caterers lists, the middle road between an in-house caterer and choose-your-own. The approved caterers were always on the high end of the price range and never specialized in the food we want.

If you want a tight but realistic budget, I'd do $50/person to include cocktail hour, buffet dinner, but not alcohol. If you don't want to be limited in your choices, I'd budget up to $100/person.

There are ways to save on caterering if even $50/person is too much. I once priced a cake-and-punch reception at less than $2/person.
  • Options
    Thanks!  Seems to be on par with what I've seen so far.  Looks like there's a pretty wide range of pricing for both in-house and external catering.
    My Blog: onewaytothebay.wordpress.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards