Florida-Central Florida

Question about taking engagement photos at Disney

Hi girls. I'm getting married in Alabama so I don't get on this board but I'm orginally from Florida and have a Disney question and thought I might be able to get some help here. This might be a stupid question but does anybody know if you are allowed to take professional photos on Disney property with an outside photographer? I'm wanting to do some engagement photos in the Polynesian resort area because that is where we had our first date and got engaged but knowing Disney I'm sure they have some rules about this! I'm sure we could sneak around and do it anyways and I'll do some investigating on their Web site...but if anybody knows or has done this I would love to know. Thanks!
"When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis

Re: Question about taking engagement photos at Disney

• edited December 2011
    I did my engagement photos on the down-low at the Magic Kingdom, however my parents were the photographers and we sort of "blended in" and looked like tourists with really nice cameras (i.e., we tried not to "pose" too much).  I believe that it's not Disney-approved to use outside photographers inside the parks, but outside the parks (i.e., in the Polynesian) it's okay. 

I'd check at this website to see if anybody's posted about it:  www.disboards.com (scroll down to find Disney Weddings), or ask in a new thread on those boards.  These people know EVERYTHING about Disney it seems!

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    In the parks is a big no-no since 2008 and "sneaking around" just isn't cool. Some brides pay hundreds to get engagement photos in the parks, so trying to do it on the downlow probably really upsets them. Plus, there's people all over the place in the background of the shots, which messes up the look in my opinion.

But it IS allowed at the Poly, Boardwalk, etc, as long as you are a paying customer, so going out eat there or staying there overnight.
  • jmucheech21jmucheech21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance did shots at the Beach Club and no one even questioned it.  =)
  • edited December 2011
    We actually did our engagement photos at the Polynesian. We just went over saying we had dinner reservations and they let us in. We walked around and my friend had her camera and camera pack with her. We didn't set up special lighting or anything cause there is soo much natural light. No one said anything to us at all. Congrats! I also got engaged there! Such a magical place!
  • japeace041011japeace041011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did our Engagement Photos in Magic Kingdom this past May 9we too got engaged there).  All of the workers were very nice and didnt say a thing to us.  We used different merchandice and really had a good time, one of the bakers gave us a marshmellow stick treat to use in our pictures and keep!

My photographer is amazing and does shoots there all the time, and at the local hotels!! She hasnt had any problems!!

Hope this helps! I
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I have to say.. I was a CP in the magic kingdom and after 9 months of working there I would have had no idea engagement pics weren't allowed.. i mean I don't doubt it, but i certainly wouldn't have thought to stop anyone either.  Just avoid security.
  • edited December 2011
    Great information...thanks everybody. Now I just have to find a photog down there that is available Thanksgiving weekend.... any suggestions?
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • edited December 2011
    my photographer was kristen wynn photography and her blog shows some Disney type stuff like at the Boardwalk Inn and whatnot. If you contact her, tell her Kimmie sent you!!!
  • Jatkinon517Jatkinon517 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there! My name is Jennifer and I am a photographer in the Orlando area as well as what my family and friends proclaimed me as the pickiest bride to ever walk the face of the planet. I am actually shooting an engagement session at the Poly tomorrow. I would love to send you a few sample pics when they are finished. I know first hand how important wedding details are, big and small every little thing counts. Please feel free to contact me at jatkinson517@gmail.com
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sam Dickinson - SMD Wedding Photography. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards