Honeymoon Discussions

Oahu or Maui?

Hoping that somebody here has stayed on both islands and got some good info!

Husband and I are planning a trip to Hawaii for April most likely between the 8th-15th.   It's either between Oahu or Maui for the non stop flights from PDX.

One of my concerns is being close (within 10 minute drive) to beaches that are good for swimming during April. 

I know I shouldn't expect much for planning a vacation less than 3 months out, but we'd like to stay in a hotel/condo/house/cottage for under $200 a night with a nice lanai, full kitchen, washer and dryer.  Any recommendations would be great.

Re: Oahu or Maui?

• I've been to both islands and each are very different from one another. I found Oahu to be way too crowded for my tastes-the beaches in Waikiki were packed, traffic was not that great, and the downtown area was noisy. But, Oahu is a great place to go on a tighter budget and has a lot of shopping or night life opportunities. It's quite vibrant. Maui is a bit more laid back, though definitely has its touristy areas I liked the beach better in Maui and also liked the natural attractions more (Road to Hana,  Haleakala). You are probably more likely to find something in budget in Oahu, but just because of more choices being available, but usually the air is cheaper into Oahu.

• I'm a Maui fan too, but we live in Chicago so we prefer something that doesn't have a city-feel when we go on a tropical vacation.  
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Maui hands down.
  • My FI and I are planning on honeymooning in Maui this May!  It seems a lot more laid back and we searched for condos through VRBO and found TONS of reasonable ones especially down in Kihei and Wailea that are right near the beach. 
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards