Christian Weddings

premarital counseling

Hi ladies!!
FI and I are inbetween churches because of just moving. We are having a friend marry us back in our home state. I would like to find a book or something that FI and I can work through just the two of us. We have been together for 8 years and have talked about everything(at least I think so). I just think that it will be something extra to do that way we make sure we cover everything you should talk about/know before getting married. Do you have any recommendations of books?

Thanks!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: premarital counseling

• We're reading The Meaning of Marriage, by Timothy Keller. It's one of the best I've read.

In our spare time for funsies we're starting to pick random chapters of the "Before you Say I Do" workbook by H Norman Wright and Wes Roberts. 

Even though you've been together 8 years both of them should be really helpful. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FH & I are reading through "Before You Say I Do" and while it has good points, there are also some of the chapters that are a little "cheesier" than others. But, overall, I give it a good review.

I just finished reading "Hedges: Loving Your Marriage Enough to Protect It" which, IMO, is another good read. It's geared towards already married couples, but it's definitely given me some ideas of "hedges" that he&I should talk about and plant to protect us.

I'm also reading through Gary Chapman's "Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married". So far, so good - although I've just started that one. If you haven't already - I highly recommend reading "The Five Love Languages".
  • Another vote for "the Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. 

We'd read it before we started our counselling, on our own.  Then at our first session with the minister, he brought it out and was going to recommend it, but we said we'd already read it, so we were about to discuss it during our first session rather than our second.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks Ladies!! I'll look at all of them, and then see which one he wants to do! I've read parts of "the Five Love Languages" a long time ago, I really enjoyed it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards