June 2013 Weddings
Options

When to go dress shopping?

I am a petite person with a flat chest (sorry if TMI). I have always had to have prom dresses, BM dress, etc. alterted because of length and chest. When should I go dress shopping? I would hate to order something and then it not be back in time or not fit properly because there wasn't time for it to be altered. Also, when should the girls order their dresses?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When to go dress shopping?

• Options
    I'm starting my dress shopping in the early fall -- September or so. This will give me 9 months before the wedding. Generally you don't want to wait any longer than 6 months out. It can take 3-4 months for a dress to come in, and then you need to allow yourself time to get it altered.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    would that be the same for BMs?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be going shopping this summer, getting the dress/alterations can take 6-8 months so that will leave me plenty of time to have the dress ready. it's suggest BM's get their dresses 6 months out from the wedding date, however if you think their dresses are going to need crazy alterations I would get them sooner. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    If you're going to go will a smaller boutique instead of a national chian then give yourself more time. If you're going to go through a place like David's Bridal, then it will probably come in a lot quicker than what they quote you.
  • Options
    Most places I have talked to say about 10 months out at the minimum. I plan on going later summer/early fall.

PrettyinPearls- I went to a bridal show a couple weekends ago and Fantastic Finds from Lansing was there and while I heard they were a great place to get a dress from, they were seriously almost laughing at me when I told them I wasnt planning on getting my dress until late summer. They told me I must order it a year in advance, I dont buy that though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I already got my dress already but typically shopping for a wedding dress is about 12 months prior to the date and BM's are typically 8-10 months before the wedding. This gives plenty of time for them to arrive and alterations to be done.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! oh and mrskaiser...looks like we have the same date!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have already started dress shopping and I think I found the one! I'm going to wait until August to order it. This gives me more time to compare prices and look for trunk shows that would give me discounts. I'm also nervous of the dreaded dress regret so I figure it's a good idea to take a break from trying on dresses and if I still love it in the summer, I'll know I've made the right choice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards