Registry and Gift Forum

Vintage Handkerchiefs: Good or Gross

I was thinking of embroidering vintage handkerchiefs and giving them as gifts the day of to my Mom, FMIL, and Grandma, but is this a good momento or gross considering someone may have previously used it. Of course I would wash them, but still...

Re: Vintage Handkerchiefs: Good or Gross

• Go for it if you find ones in good condition. I just actually bought several at an antique shop. I want to use them for bouquet wraps for miy bouquet as well as my BMs.  They are in very good condition, have clearly been washed and pressed and were in individual bags.  I think they're very pretty and you just don't find ones with some of the detail on them like that anymore. 

Crosswalk
  • I did this but I didn't embroider them.  I went to an antique store and found some with their initial on it.  Turned out that my MIL gave me one with my new last name initial on it for my wedding day!
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Go for it!  It sounds very cute.  Definitely not  gross.
  • I can see where you're going with this, but do you really want to embroider a glorified snot rag and give it as a gift?
  • I've had this dilemma at antique stores before...I'm going with gross.  I haven't been able to buy any because of it.  In fact, it creeps me out so much that I'm not sure how they have managed to stick around this long.

You could always find some good fabric at JoAnn or somewhere nice and embroider it yourself...a lot of new sewing machines have embroidery tools on them and can be set to make designs etc.  Talk to one of the sewing machine salespeople about it.  They may be able to do it for you even or recommend someone to hand make them for you, and at the very least help you figure out the sewing machine settings. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards