Students

taking the June LSAT and applying to Law School

Hi! I'm new to this board, but I thought maybe there were a few of you in the same boat as myself...

I'm recently engaged, and going into my Senior year as a Poli Sci major.  I'm taking the June LSAT, and plan on beginning my applications to law schools in August.
All while planning a wedding!

We are planning a July 2011 wedding (after graduation, before law school)

Anyone else going through the same?

-Beth
first camping trip engagement
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: taking the June LSAT and applying to Law School

• Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming law school!  Good on you!!  Everyone told me that I was putting too much on my plate but I'm pretty happy with my plans.  I'm graduating in May, starting grad school in June and getting married in July.  The most stressful part is finding a venue but once that is over with it will be so much fun!  All the best!!!  Also- I'm finding it pays off to get married while in school.  My university print shop is going to do my invitations for 15 cents each!! :)  Hope you do well
  • I am going through the same thing! However, I am taking the October LSAT and applying to law school immediately when I get my results! Hopefully I do ok! I would take them in June but I will be on a cruise. I will be entering my senior year as an economic major. No wedding date set yet most likely late summer 2011. I am glad to see someone in my situation. Good luck!
  • I'm about to finish my second year of law school.  Good luck with the applications!!  I hope someone gives you lots of scholarship money. :P 

I'm hoping to get married August next year after I (and my loverface) take the Bar in July.... I MIGHT be a crazy person!  :)
    imagePhotobucketimagePhotobucketPromote My Wedding
  • We are getting married in January, which is in the Christmas break in the middle of my 3L year of law school - I will actually miss the first two days of Spring semester on my honeymoon.  Good luck....you will find the application process isn't that time consuming unless you are applying to a ton of places. 
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I'm in the same boat.  I'm taking the June LSAT and applying this year, while my fiance will start business school this fall.  To add to the difficulties, my fiance will be in Boston, I will be in DC, and the wedding will be in San Francisco in May 2011.  I'm not terribly worried because there's over a year to plan, and applications for law school will be done in early fall I hope.  My mom is retired and lives in SF, so she plans to help out a lot. 

But it's soooo hard for me to focus on the LSAT these days; all I think about is wedding planning.  I have to be very disciplined with myself and put aside time to take practice exams.  I find that setting a target (e.g. four PT's a week) helps to keep me on track with law school.  I guess it also helps that I recently got laid off from my job, so I don't have any other commitments.
  • Hey bethlovesjim!  Yeah, 4 PT's a week is a lot, especially if you're in school.  Sometimes I get burnt out from it, so make sure you don't overdo it! 

Hehe, long-distance stinks, but Boston-DC is an improvement for us.  For 1.5 years he was in Brazil while I was in DC, so I'm grateful he'll only be in Boston.  :-)

Good luck with the LSAT in June!  It's such an evil test, and I hope you slay it.  If you feel overwhelmed with school, just keep focus.  You'll be in a much better position if you're able to get the LSAT done early and out of the way.  I for one am 25 years old, which is getting kind of old to be starting the law school application process.  But it sounds like you're right on track with both school and life!  :-)
  • I'm finishing my undergrad in Legal Studies in 2 weeks.
    Took the LSAT in October & February & I've been accepted to law school.
    Currently planning a Harley themed wedding for summer 2012.
    I figure that gives me 2 summers to plan, while I spend the rest of the time focusing on school work!!

Besides, working an unpaid internship will be SO much more fun while I'm planning a wedding ;-)

Hope everything works out well for you!!!
  • Similar-ish. Getting married in 26 days. Starting my masters this fall. I'm seriously considering going to law school. I'm getting my BA in accounting and my MSA in tax. Being an estate planner sounds really cool, and I've loved everything we've learned about it. You make way more money as an estate planner if you've got a law degree just because you can draw up the papers required to implement your plans. But I'm really sick of school and I didn't really enjoy my business law class. So, I don't if what I want to do is really worth more time in school. :/ We'll see.
    Anniversary
  • Courtney BC: First, Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!!!   Estate Planning and Real Estate law is what I want to go into. But after 3 years of Law School, who knows!  I have a concentration in Law for my Undergrad BA, and I LOVE all of the law courses (Constitutional law, Law and Medicine, law of contracts, law and gender, civil law... just to name a few)   3 years of law school is an A$$ kicking if you don't really enjoy law classes.

georgemc88: Congrats on your acceptance to law school!  I hope this time next year I will be able to say the same for myself :D  You have 2 years to plan, AWESOME! that will help with the stress of wedding planning.   I'm giving myself a little over a year. My plan is to be married when I go to law school, so I can drag my man with me :P

GJones27: At least there is a direct line from DC to Boston! not far at all. My FI and I spent 2 years of our relationship 80 miles apart. I saw him like once a month :( but he moved back to Dallas in December, YAY!   I have found that most law students are unconventional. I heard the average age of a law student is 28.  I myself am 27, in my senior year of undergrad, so I will be 28/29 when I go off to law school.  I decided to go back to school after being laid off at work. this was November 2008, and I STILL haven't found a job... AGH! I MUST find a job by mid May. I need to start saving up for my wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's good to know. I've got a few friends in law school I'll probably talk to before I make a decision. We've got an open campus, so I may even sit in on a class or two. My prof for business law was extremely boring and difficult to understand, so I'm not really sure if I hate law or I hate classes that man teaches.
    Anniversary
  • I am in my 1L right now, good luck on your LSATs!!!!
    I am getting married during Winter Break of my 3L, before the Bar. This way I can focus on everything that I need to, or hope to at least.
  • Hey, its nice to meet you.  I'm in law school too, a 2L.  We are getting married after graduation but before barbri, then going on our honeymoon after the bar.  Hopefully we will get jobs and everything will be fine.  
  • Compartmentalize!  Take care of each thing in it's own time.  The LSAT isn't that bad -- just set aside specific evenings/afternoons to study and take practice exams.  Law applications will be time consuming, but again, set aside specific days to complete each application. 

Good luck!!
  • Glad to know I'm not the only crazy person out there!  I'm taking the LSAT in Oct and graduating in Dec with an Apparel Design degree.  Hopefully start law school next fall.  Our wedding is supposed to be Oct 16th this year, which is like a week after the LSATs.  I might change it...heh
  • I just got out of the test.... OMG! for some reason I don't feel like I did as well on the actual test, as I did on the practice tests.

Now I must wait 20 days for the score.

In the mean time, We are still trying to figure out our honeymoon... We want to book the honeymoon FIRST... that way we get the honeymoon we want no matter what :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards