Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Blending two religions

Anyone out there have experience with how officiants of the Methodist and Catholic faiths blend their ceremonies? 

Re: Blending two religions

• Are you being married in a catholic church? Because then the rules are pretty strict (and I think  you have to be if you want the catholic church to recognize the marriage if I am not mistaken), If you are getting married at a methodist church you would probably have more wiggle room to include what you want, but it might not be reconized in the catholic church. Talk to the pastors/priests would be my advice. They will be able to tell you for sure what they are willing to do for fact instead of us just making educated, but ultimatly guesses at what they would be comfortable with.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• It is possible for a Catholic to marry outside the Catholic Church in a non-Catholic ceremony and have it recognized and registered by the Catholic Church. It requires special meetings and paperwork.

My recommendation is to do a quick meeting with the clergyman where you want the wedding. "This is our vision. Is it even possible?" Then do meetings with the Catholics. They have more procedures to complete, regardless of whether the wedding is in a Catholic church. Also, there's about one Catholic Priest per 10,000 Catholics in the US. For everyone else, it's closer to 1,000 or, at my Anglican parish, 100. So plain scheduling with Catholics is harder.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_blending-two-religions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:19c78e63-34a6-40b3-ae65-898e8b678a40Post:27114041-262a-4bb9-9f7e-004fc5818a2a">Re: Blending two religions</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>The Catholic faith and the Methodist faith are not two different religions.  They are both Christian churches.</strong> My mother was married in a Catholic church by a priest and a Methodist minister co-officating.  This was not a problem because at the time neither Mom nor former step-father had been divorced, and Mom was not able to have more children.  They did not have a full Catholic mass.  I saw no difference in the ceremony from the Methodist ceremony I am used to.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thank you for this!  It really annoys me when people don't understand the difference between religion, and denomination. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards