Just Engaged and Proposals

E-ring/Diamond - exchange or upgrade?

We were engaged a few months before I got my ring due to some budget issues - I'm in school, and we have some things that took higher priorities. Now I have it! YAY!We ended up getting my ring from Helzberg. The experience was good, and I LOVE the wedding band/wrap that goes with my solitaire. I can't wait to wear it (and, of course, marry my FH. But this post is about the Shiny).So I'm soliciting opinions about the solitaire.We bought a ring with an I2 stone. I didn't think there was much of a difference, but now that I have it, I can see the inclusions (which is part of the definition of an I) - they're like two tiny bubbles in the stone, really visible when I take the ring off and tilt it in the light. An SI ring is definitely out of our current budget. I could exchnge for an I1, but it would be smaller (I'm at 5/8 right now).I could buy elsewhere (I'm thinking Blue Nile, they have 5/8 stones in the quality I want for about the same price), but my w-ring will be welded to my solitaire, I'm not sure how it will effect our care planI'm trying to decide if it's worth exchanging, or upgrading later. My FH doesn't care - we picked it together and he wants me to love the ring. Thoughs? Any advice is appreciated.

Re: E-ring/Diamond - exchange or upgrade?

• redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_e-ringdiamond-exchange-upgrade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:b3b7ba15-b5b6-4dcd-a6c0-988ff0130e15Post:dd750a81-4eff-4965-814a-683e1fa0b23d">E-ring/Diamond - exchange or upgrade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were engaged a few months before I got my ring due to some budget issues - I'm in school, and we have some things that took higher priorities. Now I have it! YAY! We ended up getting my ring from Helzberg. The experience was good, and I LOVE the wedding band/wrap that goes with my solitaire. I can't wait to wear it (and, of course, marry my FH. But this post is about the Shiny). So I'm soliciting opinions about the solitaire. We bought a ring with an I2 stone. I didn't think there was much of a difference, but now that I have it, I can see the inclusions (which is part of the definition of an I) - they're like two tiny bubbles in the stone, really visible when I take the ring off and tilt it in the light. An SI ring is definitely out of our current budget. I could exchnge for an I1, but it would be smaller (I'm at 5/8 right now). I could buy elsewhere (I'm thinking Blue Nile, they have 5/8 stones in the quality I want for about the same price), but my w-ring will be welded to my solitaire, I'm not sure how it will effect our care plan I'm trying to decide if it's worth exchanging, or upgrading later. My FH doesn't care - we picked it together and he wants me to love the ring.  Thoughs? Any advice is appreciated.
    Posted by modon001[/QUOTE]

You need to check with Helzberg, but usually if you get a stone from another store it voids the warranty with the chain stores. Which is the problem with the chain stores, you are now bound to them for life.  Also if you go with a smaller/larger stone your setting might no-longer work. So keep that in mind. Why did you two buy the ring if you are unhappy with the diamond (usually the expensive part)?

As the diamond is the expensive part, you might want to wait a few years when you can afford more options. (Many couples upgrade years later when they can afford more options). But if you plan to change the diamond at some point, I would not weld the W & E ring together.

ETA: Can you still return it? That would probably be the best option for you right now. Places like blue nile, whilte flash, etc. are much cheaper (usually).

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Honestly, I knew the I2 would have visible inclusions, but I didn't find noticeable ones in the store. 
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_e-ringdiamond-exchange-upgrade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:b3b7ba15-b5b6-4dcd-a6c0-988ff0130e15Post:f7d2fde4-a656-47ef-9874-4b5ff7655aa2">Re: E-ring/Diamond - exchange or upgrade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I knew the I2 would have visible inclusions, but I didn't find noticeable ones in the store. 

Have you told them that you are unhappy once it was out of the jewelry store/ in natural light? Can they exchange it for one that has incursions placed better (as in under the prongs of the setting? Honestly, I think your best option is to return it and find a  ring some where else. (Sorry, IMO mall stores are very over priced).

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

• Oh, and yes, I can still return it. We just got it, and Helzberg offers a 60-day return window.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_e-ringdiamond-exchange-upgrade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:b3b7ba15-b5b6-4dcd-a6c0-988ff0130e15Post:e10eba12-78f8-41d7-be2b-a61ce5ca0912">Re: E-ring/Diamond - exchange or upgrade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and yes, I can still return it. We just got it, and Helzberg offers a 60-day return window.

Then I think that is your best bet. Check out pricescope.com for ideas/options as to how you can get the best stone for your money.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

• modon001modon001 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Ok, I really can get a better ring on Blue Nile. Getting the rings at the same place was attractive because of the ease of maintenance/warranty. But I'm beginning to think it's not worth it.

So, second question....

I still like the wedding ring. The stones are SI, and it's beautiful, and it fits well with the classic solitaire.

But I'd want the wedding ring welded to the e-ring, because it's a combo band/wrap.  Anyone have thoughts/experience on this?  

Thanks for all your thoughts, everyone.  

EDIT: thoughts/experience on buying one ring online, one in store, that is.
  • I just want to echo everything that redheadfsu said. Pricescope is a great resource. I wish we had found the site before FI got my ring, not because I would have wanted something different but because it could have been much cheaper if purchased online through one of the pricescope recommended vendors. Whiteflash, BGD, BlueNile, etc. are great places to look and you'll get a diamond with a higher quality at a great price.
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_e-ringdiamond-exchange-upgrade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:b3b7ba15-b5b6-4dcd-a6c0-988ff0130e15Post:f2e9325a-64cb-46d4-8b42-a6c4e1be4f20">Re: E-ring/Diamond - exchange or upgrade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I really can get a better ring on Blue Nile. Getting the rings at the same place was attractive because of the ease of maintenance/warranty. But I'm beginning to think it's not worth it. So, second question.... I still like the wedding ring. The stones are SI, and it's beautiful, and it fits well with the classic solitaire. But I'd want the wedding ring welded to the e-ring, because it's a combo band/wrap.  Anyone have thoughts/experience on this?   Thanks for all your thoughts, everyone.   EDIT: thoughts/experience on buying one ring online, one in store, that is.

Any jeweler can do this (if the rings match-up), but there might be a small fee. I would recommend looking for a local place (Like a mom & pop place). They usually do it on-site, not send it somewhere like the chain stores do. But you might want to look on-line for your wedding band too, as it would probably be cheaper.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_e-ringdiamond-exchange-upgrade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:b3b7ba15-b5b6-4dcd-a6c0-988ff0130e15Post:c8de6ad7-248a-43b0-a88b-e217f5ae57e1">Re: E-ring/Diamond - exchange or upgrade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: E-ring/Diamond - exchange or upgrade? : Any jeweler can do this (if the rings match-up), but there might be a small fee. I would recommend looking for a local place (Like a mom & pop place). They usually do it on-site, not send it somewhere like the chain stores do. But you might want to look on-line for your wedding band too, as it would probably be cheaper.
    Posted by redheadfsu[/QUOTE]

<div>All of this. We got my wedding band from a local jeweler (a family business--we were actually helped by the third generation [store's name] guy) and they sized it on-site. I'm sure you could find someone willing to solder rings purchased elsewhere.</div>
  • I'd see first about exchanging it at the store.  I really like having a brick and mortar store to go to for inspections and cleanings.  I get mine replated with rhodium (white gold) twice a year for free.  That's why I'd hesitate about Blue Nile.  Otherwise their rings are awesome.  I was hesitant to use them because I hadn't tried on rings and didn't know what I would like (I got to pick my own ring after we were engaged).
  • Sometimes if you weld them together, it voids the warrenty. Keep that in mind. I know there will be times I won't be able to wear my e-ring because it interferes with the gloves I'd be wearing during research, but as I'd still like to wear my wedding band I didn't really consider attaching them. 
  • I think what's been bothering me the most is that I know the amount we paid, and I know I can get a better stone for the same range online.  I did call helzberg, and they said that if I buy a ring elsewhere and want it soldered to the w-band (which I would need to do. I can't wear the w-band alone) they wouldn't charge for maintenance/dipping the fused ring.

My FH pointed out that if I buy online, there's no "diamond replacement" if the solitaire stone is lost (Helzberg offers that). How realistic is the need for that? Especially if I'd be bringing my soldered ring in every 6 mo. for re-dipping and checking of the w-ring diamonds... 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_e-ringdiamond-exchange-upgrade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:b3b7ba15-b5b6-4dcd-a6c0-988ff0130e15Post:2641b266-60c9-46e7-9da7-c550ce203c47">Re: E-ring/Diamond - exchange or upgrade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think what's been bothering me the most is that I know the amount we paid, and I know I can get a better stone for the same range online.  I did call helzberg, and they said that if I buy a ring elsewhere and want it soldered to the w-band (which I would need to do. I can't wear the w-band alone) they wouldn't charge for maintenance/dipping the fused ring. <strong>My FH pointed out that if I buy online, there's no "diamond replacement" if the solitaire stone is lost (Helzberg offers that). </strong>How realistic is the need for that? Especially if I'd be bringing my soldered ring in every 6 mo. for re-dipping and checking of the w-ring diamonds... 

You should get independent E ring insurance anyway as usually the stores replacement policy is not as good as an getting a rider to your homeowners insurance or getting jewelry insurance. Plus what if they go out of business? Having a separate insurance policy is always best.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards