Catholic Weddings

Anyone here?

Is anyone around this week?  What's up?

I'm a huge fan of the 3 or 4 day work week.  It makes it easier to ignore the stuff that goes wrong, somehow.  Although I've had lots of internet problems this morning, and feel ridiculously tired, I am kind of in a good mood.  Weird, right? 

I had a super fun and eventful weekend, including my sister getting engaged!!  Her FI had me and a couple of her best friends take her out to her favorite winery, and he showed up and proposed.  It was so sweet, and I'm so happy for her!  He's an awesome guy, and I know they'll be happy together. 

Re: Anyone here?

• Me! I'm here!

I'm also a fan of the short work weeks - somehow they make me plan my time a little better, knowing I only have 3 days to get x amount of projects done, rather than spreading it out over 5 days.

I had a good weekend, although I definitely wasn't feeling good Saturday morning after the party bus Friday night!  I would've liked to sleep in a bit more on Saturday, but my in-laws stopped by for awhile, and then the last regular season game for our college team was on TV.  They won, and are conference champs! Whoo hoo!  Their first playoff game should be in town so that'll be exciting - there's a chance that they could continue to host playoff games the next several weekends if the wins continue, and H and I would miss them since we'd be on our honeymoon.  I know he'd be sad to miss them, but, we'll be on our honeymoon in warm, sunny Mexico so that should make up for it!

Congrats to your sister!  That's so exciting, and how fun that you were able to be involved.  Did you know ahead of time that he was planning to propose?
  • Yeah, he had us all involved.  It was kind of stressful, though, because I was just so worried that someone would slip and spoil it.  She was SO surprised, and it was just awesome!

• awww, that's sweet!  Surprise proposals are the best.

I have a two day work week, and then I'm off all next week too. I took Wednesday off to bake. I'm doing probably 100 - 120 mini pies. Last year I did half squash, half pumpkin. This year I'm getting super adventurous and adding apple to the mix.

I'm more excited about the baking than my vacation to Nebraska next week. My parents live there. It'll be nice to catch up with old friends, but taking a week off from DIY's for the wedding is going to be challenging.
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats to your sister!

My org has a two-day work week -- awesome! Except I'm a contractor, so I don't get paid for the days we're not here!

Is anyone going to Thanksgiving Mass? My mom's always super busy all morning, of course, so I've actually never been. I want to drag her away from her hostess duties this year though lol
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • How exciting for your sister, Resa!

We have two days of school, but I strongly maintain that the two days before Thanksgiving are by far the most pointless days of the school year.  Even at the end of the year, at least you have finals.  At this point the kids are convinced that Monday and Tuesday will be blow-off days, and I even get some kids who are indignant that other districts get the whole week off, while we "only" get three days.  I hope my district (wherever I end up next year) just takes the whole week off next year.

MT - I'm thinking about it, but we will have a house full of non Catholics to entertain, so I don't know how I feel about leaving them all alone in my house.

We did all our shopping for Thanksgiving yesterday and I started baking last night.  I'm getting really excited and only a little nervous.  The pie I made last night didn't turn out EXACTLY how it should have, but hopefully it still tastes great.  I've got lists of what to make tonight, tomorrow, and Wednesday, but my list for Thursday is LONG and we are having Thanksgiving lunch, so I will be cooking for quite a while!
    Anniversary

• I was wondering where everyone went! I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving, although the holidays have always been a point of contention with our families (particularly mine). My fiance and I have been together for five years now and even though our families live just ten minutes apart, each family always makes a big fuss if we don't eat with them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2012
    @Professsor You sound like a busy lady lol How many people are you having over?

My in-laws are doing lunch because my family always does dinner [more suppertime-ish].
    This will be my first split Thanksgiving, which I am a little... sad?.. about. I feel so selfish!
    I love his family so much, but I've always spent all morning and day helping my mom with the cooking, baking, and general getting the house ready for our relatatives. I always have so much fun at his family's gatherings, but this time I'm a little reluctant lol
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:363d5a74-98cf-42e4-994d-0f4ccf46c296Post:b43299cd-219b-478c-ab92-e1acd4657cf4">Re: Anyone here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was wondering where everyone went! I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving, although the holidays have always been a point of contention with our families (particularly mine). My fiance and I have been together for five years now and even though our families live just ten minutes apart, each family always makes a big fuss if we don't eat with them. 
    Posted by MedStudent13[/QUOTE]

I feel (in my little experience!) that the girl's side is usually more adamant. My taken male cousins don't get to hang out as long on the major holidays lol
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • I can relate to feeling a little sad (and maybe a little selfish) when it comes to splitting holidays.  This year H decided that we'll have dinner at my parents' house (around 1 or 2, so more like lunch), and then head over to his parents' house.  I think he decided that was better since only my brother spends Thanksgiving with my parents.  My 4 sisters and other brother never do, so it would be a really lonely dinner for them without me and H.  I think my Mom is really happy to be having me, but yesterday his parents seemed really sad about it :(  We'll be at their house by 3:30, though, so hopefully they will look at the bright side :)

• It's definitely no fun having to split your holidays.  I wish H and I had the option of seeing both of our families the same day, but they live 4 hrs from us in either direction, so that won't happen.  For now, we just do every other year, Thanksgiving and Christmas, so at least we see each side once during the holiday season.  Hopefully once we have a house and room to host we can get both sets of parents to visit us more often, rather than always having to choose who to go see!

This year, we're visiting my parents for THanksgiving (so H's for Christmas then).  My dad is in Brazil on a work trip and won't be back until Saturday, so we're saving the big turkey meal for then because he doesn't want to miss it.  One of my sisters only has Thursday off, so she's coming over and we're going to make a bunch of snacks/appetizers and try out some fun new recipes.
  • mt- I'm going to thanksgiving mass! You should totally go if you get a chance- I LOVE thanksgiving mass b/c no one who is there is only there b/c they have to be there! Everyone wants to be there! I've always found it to be such a nice atmosphere, like everyone sings and is happy! :-)
    Anniversary
  • Yeah, our parents live in completely different states, so we always have to split the holidays.  Since I get two weeks off for Christmas, I usually have time to go see my parents, but H doesn't always.  Now that we're married I'm definitely pushing a little harder for him to make an effort, even if it's just for a day.  We're a little more central now that we live in Oklahoma, so it's actually easier for my family to just come to us for holidays.
    Anniversary

• Thanksgiving mass is probably one of my top 2-3 masses to play per year. 

Like Lalaith said, everyone that comes wants to be there and they all sing. 
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited November 2012
    You ladies would love my parish - everyone at our mass is fully particpatory every week (except for a few parents that are tending to their children).

I am SOOO SLEEPY today! We had our dept lunch and that is making it even worse! I really could crawl under my desk and sleep right now.

We are making the turkey this year at my parents' house. We're pretty excited about it - my husband makes an awesome turkey and we haven't had a chance to "share" it with family yet.

** random prayer request **
    My dad was taken to the hospital for something that should be simple - but seeing that he spent 6 months in the hospital earlier this year, for something that should have been simple.... all prayers are much appreciated!
  • Carrie, what are your other favorite Masses to play?  I would imagine Easter is up there!

• i had friday off which was heaven.
    i am off wed/thur/fri (we get thur and fri paid). 

i am so ready to eat and relax.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:363d5a74-98cf-42e4-994d-0f4ccf46c296Post:6b64d3fd-2558-4b1b-902e-a8013e9b6e76">Re: Anyone here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Carrie, what are your other favorite Masses to play?  I would imagine Easter is up there!
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>First, to clarify, my parish really participates and sings regularly. It's on certain occasions when it is extraordinarily louder.</div><div>
    </div><div>I like different masses for different reasons. I LOVE Holy Thursday. I like Easter vigil, but due to the length, we have smaller numbers in the church, so Holy thursday is always more people, and they sing so loud they drown out my drums. (My drummer isn't very loud, but he is playing drums). Sometimes I get a werid feedback in my ear from the loud singing by the congregation. I also wrote the music for the psalm that night, and I like playing that.</div><div>
    </div><div>Easter Vigil also has a lot of visitors that aren't catholic because they have a family member converting. There's also the added stress of the different rites going on and keeping things straight with what comes next. </div><div>
    </div><div>I would like Easter except there are more logistical concerns with parking lot changing, getting musicians in and out in between masses, etc. It's somewhat stressful. There are so many CEO's on Easter Sunday that they are absorbing sound but not making any, so not as much participation then. </div><div>
    </div><div>My other group at my parish plays for Good Friday and I think that would be a top one if I played it. </div>
  • I also love Holy Thursday Mass!  It's a neat experience, that's for sure!  I actually love Advent Masses, too.  I love when we light the candles on the giant wreath before Mass starts; I love the songs; I love the sense of antication that advent brings!  Plus, it's like the Catholic new year, so I enjoy that, too.

My parish is actually pretty loud/participatory, but I never really notice that until I attend Mass at another parish. 

• The parish where we got married had a ridiculously beautiful choir (like, all professionals), and I loved it because it was gorgeous, but I also hated it because people wouldn't sing or even felt like they weren't supposed to sing.

Where we are now people participate a lot more.  The last few days the music director has been introducing some new music for some of the "familiar" parts of mass, like the Gloria, and so he sits down and practices with the whole congregation before mass starts.

I guess the only thing I don't like about it is everyone is so darn chatty it's sometimes hard to concentrate and pray before mass starts.
    Anniversary

• Late to the party, but I'm around. H has a short week, which I'm glad of! We're doing Thanksgiving with his extended family this year. It's nice because it's a pretty low-key group. Just hanging out, playing games, watching football and eating!

I actually wish our families lived further apart. It would reduce our stress level about making everyone happy. We're trying to put our foot (feet?) down more this year, because driving all over the Phoenix metro area with a baby is not our idea of fun.

Prof, I totally hear you on the uselessness of Thanksgiving week. I've always gotten stuck with a half-day Wednesday -- talk about a waste!

Resa, congrats to your sis! Riss, prayers for your hubby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Biblio, now is definitely the time to put your feet down about traveling all over Phoenix each holiday.  Hopefully both sides of the family will be understanding and supportive about it! 

• Congrats to your sister!

I'm here :)

I got sick this weekend...not fun. I'm doing way better, but I just had a serious sneezing fit.

For Thanksgiving my fiance and I will be going to his sister's house. Thankfull y my family does an early Christmas eve lunch, so I can split my time between both families pretty easily.

Wednesday night the "Young Professionals Catholics" group I belong to, is hosting a thanksgiving eve party. The theme is breakfast. So we'll be eating lots of pancakes. :)

Friday I'm getting my first ever professional manicure. I'm pretty excited.
    Sat is our rehearsal

and then Sunday is the big day!! =D This week is going to fly.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I don't think people appreciate how nice it is to have multiple families that love you enough to want to see you on holidays. 
  • That's a great point, Carrie. 

• I definitely appreciate having lots of family members who love and want to see us, no question there.  It's because I appreciate and love both my family, and H's family, that it gets hard to "choose" who we will spend certain holidays with.  There's no way we can see everyone for every holiday, and while I'm thankful for all the great people in our lives, it is sad not to see them as often as we'd like.

Christina - sorry you're not feeling well, I'll be praying for you to get over it all and be well for your big day!  It's so close!

Riss - prayers for your dad as well.  Hope everything goes as planned and he's released soon.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:363d5a74-98cf-42e4-994d-0f4ccf46c296Post:9fde5ef4-fd93-4b21-a48a-f9ee9617a3a6">Re: Anyone here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My in-laws are doing lunch because my family always does dinner [more suppertime-ish]. This will be my first split Thanksgiving, which I am a little... sad?.. about. I feel so selfish! I love his family so much, but I've always spent all morning and day helping my mom with the cooking, baking, and general getting the house ready for our relatatives. I always have so much fun at his family's gatherings, but this time I'm a little reluctant lol
    Posted by mtrosales[/QUOTE]

<div>We do the exact same split thing, too!  Our parents only live an hour apart, so no excuse for us to not do both at this point.... I do miss spending the whole thing with my family, though.</div><div>
    </div><div>@Resa, congrats to your sister!!  I hope my little sister gets engaged someday soon... except her boyfriend lives a million miles away in Bismarck, ND right now... so guess my family will all just have to wait patiently.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:363d5a74-98cf-42e4-994d-0f4ccf46c296Post:6ae12dc3-6d1a-48e1-a526-9fde31c49660">Re: Anyone here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Christina - sorry you're not feeling well, I'll be praying for you to get over it all and be well for your big day!  It's so close! 
    Posted by erin5286[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you, Erin! I'm much better than I was this weekend...I should be good for Sunday. I just need to get rid of this icky dry puffy nose. Not attractive for wedding photos. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:363d5a74-98cf-42e4-994d-0f4ccf46c296Post:a597ba7c-a523-42d0-a73c-abc8856bd18e">Re: Anyone here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think people appreciate how nice it is to have multiple families that love you enough to want to see you on holidays. 
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

<div>I think people on this particular board realize that plenty! :) </div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards