Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

House Hunters? (Poll)

Seems like a lot of us are talking about houses recently!  Post wedding-itis?  Answer below!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: House Hunters? (Poll)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I'm ready to give up on house hunting already!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're trying to get our finances in order and decide where we want to live/work before we start house hunting.  Probably start looking next year... we're not in a rush.
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought a condo while I was dating FI (prior to getting engaged).  Now I am wishing I bought a bigger place with more closet space. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    well not really recent home owners, FI bought in January 2008. He wants to find a bigger house ASAP, I don't want to go anywhere until I know we can have children. Why would we need a bigger house if we can't have kids? Plus, we remodeled our house and I am not ready to move into a 1970s type house since we are used to our modern home.

I confess I am a complete pessimist and for some reason think I wont be able to have children.
  • Options
    LadyJ10LadyJ10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Nicole! I'm not going to get all up in your business, but I hope that's not true!

FI's condo has been on the market since April, and we just got an offer two weeks ago -- and they want to settle December 27! Luckily we can move in to my parents' house until we find something, but unfortunately that puts me living in my parents' house! I'm so ready to start looking!
    And they're the five best friends that anyone could have, the five best friends that anyone could have! Photobucket
  • Options
    Jesster153Jesster153 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_house-hunters-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:c47588fc-9abd-4d89-8ccf-59bd547ed3d7Post:0189fc1b-b4f1-470e-9643-f23de3ad90d5">Re: House Hunters? (Poll)</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're trying to get our finances in order and decide where we want to live/work before we start house hunting.  Probably start looking next year... we're not in a rush.
    Posted by miguelhilary2010[/QUOTE]

same exact thing with us. We're good in the apartment right now 'having someone else fix the leaky sink' ;)  and once we save up some more money over the next year then we'll think about houses.

nicole :(  I also hope thats not true for you!
    Siggy Challange: Me and my girls :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    J - I have no physical evidence to confirm if I can or can not have children. I don't even know why I think this way but for some reason I worry I wont be able to! My family is a bunch of baby producing machines!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nicole i hope you can breed. You and your man are a great looking couple, and would spawn beautiful babies! ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jenny, what happened??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_house-hunters-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:c47588fc-9abd-4d89-8ccf-59bd547ed3d7Post:4b03e2cf-b7a7-42ce-aa15-9e9cd79d6c20">Re: House Hunters? (Poll)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nicole i hope you can breed. You and your man are a great looking couple, and would spawn beautiful babies! ;)
    Posted by Bride_to_be_2011[/QUOTE]

haha I am cracking up... we would love to create some great looking babies!
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    edited December 2011
    B2B-  you have such a delicate way of putting things :)  (Thinks back to our conversation on Sunday)

Nicole-  I hope that's not the case for you, but remember, there are always other options!

JIY--  did I miss a post?  What happened?  I thought you were on the verge of settlement??

We are "softly" looking right now.  OUr lease is up in April, so right after the holidays we really need to start pounding the pavement.  As much as I am going to miss this apartment, I don't want to rent anymore.  I NEED STORAGE!
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    edited December 2011
    we just bought a house in sept. 3 days before the wedding! lol we're finally getting to remodel. We are hoping to get our living room done before the 18th which is our secret santa party. we have less than 3 weeks!! I'll post pics when we're done
  • Options
    edited December 2011

They accepted our price, but would not accept FHA lending because the well and septic drain field were too close together to pass an FHA inspection. Our lender told our agent that the underwriters for the PMI insurance weren't sure if it would be accpetable for a conventional loan either. We ended up walking away from it. Going with a conventional loan would have meant putting more down and a jump of more than 1% in interest.
    We looked at more houses this weekend, but I keep comparing them to that one :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    mana8503mana8503 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For now we are renting.  FI mentioned house hunting in June... after we see what we can afford. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my 2012 shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (2012 shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We kind of did things backwards...we were under contract for our home early last year ...then got engaged...then moved in to our home in July.  It was definitely not as fun as I expected it to be especially since our agent wasn't that involved and my fiance was picky about everything!  We saw a ton of houses and looke for a year.  I'm sure we could have probably waited a little longer because as soon as we closed, rates dropped a whole percent.  Doh!  But we love our home and I'm pretty sure we'll be there for a while =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jenny - so sorry!   But everything really does happen for a reason.. as much as it sucks to hear that now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks!
    Thats what everyone keeps saying.
    Our new "favorite" is a house we looked at this weekend. Its 63 years old and its the original owners selling it (with just about everything else original about it). It needs A LOT of updating! There is only 1 bathroom, and it has a tub, no shower. We are trying to decide if we are up for the challange of updating it. Its also priced a little high for the amount of updates it needs.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_house-hunters-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:c47588fc-9abd-4d89-8ccf-59bd547ed3d7Post:88c7ac7b-702a-4250-b301-09662aadb938">Re: House Hunters? (Poll)</a>:
    [QUOTE]B2B-  you have such a delicate way of putting things :)  (Thinks back to our conversation on Sunday)
    Posted by Amerbutt81[/QUOTE]

I just LOL'd, but I had that convo with her twice haha ... .

Nicole - I hope you're fine, you will have some damn good looking kids.

We bought a condo. Unplanned, we bought family members out of theirs because they couldn't afford to pay condo fees( my grandparents paid their mortgage for them ... long story).  So we bought at a decent price, so they could move into something they could afford.  It wasn't the best experience, considering our mortgage was approved on our wedding day! We were supposed to move two weeks later, but their apartment wasn't ready so they stayed another month ... UGH ... so we moved the day we came come from our HM and H had not packed!!!  I packed before we left.  Moving was not fun . .

I would rather have a house, but we're building equity and we will get the tax credit this spring.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We (by which I mean "I" since FI is a grad student) bought a house last April. House hunting is a pain in the butt and there are a LOT of things I would do differently if I could do it over, but we love our house.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just settled on the last day of August!  We are so happy that we are finally settled and don't have to look anymore!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards