Moms and Maids
Options

Mothers-in-Law Who Rock!

Often I feel like the mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationship is portrayed negatively in the media, but I've also noticed many negative posts on the knot.

I am truly sorry for the brides-to-be who have bad relationships with their soon-to-be mother-in-law, and I am so grateful to have one (as well as a mom) who rocks!

Seriously, my MIM married off her only daughter in February, and she still found time to ask about our Nov. wedding plans. Once her daughter was hitched, she instantly offered up her services in anyway possible (most recently, beginning the task of cutting out 900 tulle squares for a wedding project). All of us have fun together, and she an my mom have even looked at dresses together.

So, I'm just wondering -- does any other Knottie want to give a shout out to a future mother-in-law who rocks? 

Re: Mothers-in-Law Who Rock!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i freakin love my FMIL!!

At first, I thought she hated me... and didn't want FI to be with me... but ever since we've been engaged I feel like her and I are BFF's!
  • Options
    slaarwalhzslaarwalhz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine rocks too!! This is the first nice question I have seen all day.

Yay for FMILs!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love my in-laws, they are amazing. I do wonder if DH's grandparents like me (they hate that I'm not Christian or even baptized) but I barely see them anyway so who cares?

My in-laws helped out so much with the wedding and were never the horror stories found here. Hell, MIL gave me a check for the cake and said, "make your wedding cake dreams come true." So yeah, she's pretty awesome.

And I'm pretty sure the feeling is the same with DH and my family. They love him and he loves them back. Our families don't know each other that well since they are in different states and don't meet much, but we all get along. I guess DH and I got lucky and married into awesome families.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love my FIL's, they are amazing and have helped me so much through the planning since my parents suck. Sorry, they just haven't done anything for the wedding and I mean anything, seriously.
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd like a shout out!  My FMIL is awesome.  She always asks me what she can do to help, and is totally supportive.  She gives her opinion, and is very respectful of mine!  FI and I were planning to pay for the whole wedding ourselves, and she generously offered to pay for photography and the rehearsal dinner.  I asked her to come along with my mom dress shopping, and her answer was that she would be honored. Awesome!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AustinMelissaAustinMelissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are all blessed! I don't have the same situation with my FMIL but my future husband and I have tried to talk with his mom about respect and boundaries. We have come to terms that she might not be a part of our lives after our Wedding in 3 weeks time. It's a sad situation be one can only invest so much of ones self. We wish her the best and hope that she can realize that calling me a b***** and having a negative position towards us is not something we accept.
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lime. Green. Jello.
  • Options
    amdjellyamdjelly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL is pretty awesome, and I appreciate her all the more after seeing some of the situations others are in. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yey! Something nice for a change. I'll be you're all as nice as your FMILs and Moms.

• Options
    Xtine22Xtine22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have to say mine is the BEST!!! This is coming from someone who lost her mother 3 years ago so planning  a wedding without my own mom has been hard but my FMIL has been GREAT!!! She will do anything to help she went dress shopping with me whenever I have a freak out (and I dont have to many) she liks just call and we will figure something out..

As for MY own family thats a different story!

But I am soo thankful that she is in my life and soo fantastic and if I can't plan my wedding with my own mom she is the next best thingLaughing

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic width=220>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL ROCKS!! She really has been great! As one of the other posts said... my family seriously SUCKS! But I am very thankful for my soon to be family!!
  • Options
    KMB611KMB611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL is a great woman. She's not able to help with the wedding financially, but she is supportive in what my FI and I want. She's always welcomed me since day one into their family.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I want to give a shout out to my FMIL also!!!  She has been great.  When we first started dating I didn't think that they cared for me too much (I am 8 years older than FI).  I don't feel that way now though.  FMIL has been awesome.  She has helped when asked, went dress shopping with my mom and I, and hasn't had anything bad to say about anything.  I love her!
    1st pic of us together. Apparently I thought something was funny.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~Holly and Jeff~
    image 232 Made the cut! image 96 Ready to party!
    image 44 Have better things to do!
    image 92 Are going to cause me to have a stroke!
  • Options
    agoldhammeragoldhammer member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

My future in-laws are crazy, and I wouldn't have them any other way! =)

• Options
    KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am happy to say that I do get along with my FMIL.  She's a great lady that loves her son and really loves me, it seems.  From the moment I met her, she treated me like family.  She often says how glad she is that FI found me and loves how much that I love her grandchildren.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards