Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Hubs is allergic to his ring!

It has been about two months since our wedding, and we have come to realize hubs is allergic to his white gold wedding ring. We knew he was allergic to nickel, and like total sillyfaces, we believed the jeweler when she said white gold wouldn't cause an allergic reaction.

It did! A nasty one! So now we are negotiating with our jeweler to trade in his gold band and some old gold I had to upgrade him to a platinum band. It isn't cheap, but we wanted a "safe" metal that can be resized and cut if needed. He works with tools a lot and we would hate to have him lose a finger because the ER couldn't get his ring off in an emergency. He also is a weird size, so we can't get his ring in cobalt or surgical steel, according to our jeweler.

Now, my hubs is a very nostalgic, sentimental guy, and he hates the idea of giving up the ring I put on his finger on our wedding day. However, it is the only way we can afford the platinum. That being said, I promised him we would make getting his new ring special with some type of ceremony. I need ideas for said "ring dedication" ceremony.

I know I am going to order a cake or cupcakes in the same flavor and style of our wedding cake, as well as saying some type of vow with the new ring. Beyond that, I am stumped. It doesn't have to be extravagant, but it does need to be special and memorable, because he is pretty heartbroken.

Please use your wedding withdrawals to help a lady out! Thank you in advance for what I know will be awesome ideas.

Re: Hubs is allergic to his ring!

• Are you able to go back to the venue where you were married?  If it's a church go there during an off time and recite your vows to each other?
    Or take him to a new place and tell him you DO again
  • Instead of having to spend money on a "ring dedication", why don't you use that money to just buy the new ring and have him keep his original ring?  I am not sure how much you would save by not having a dedication, but it is just a thought!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was really stumped for a long time looking at rings for my FI since he works at a refinery and is very tough on his hands. I loved the idea of tungsten but was really scared that in an emergency it couldn't be cut off. My FI also wanted to be safe since it would be his finger that was lost if something happened so he spent some time doing research and found out that while tungsten can't be cut it can be shattered (jeweler told us the same thing when explain why they didn't carry that metal). To get a tungsten ring off you use vice scripts to squeeze down then release move a little over and squeeze again. Keep doing that around the ring and it will shatter. After we found that out I gave him a tungsten ring as his work ring and he will have a white gold ring for our ceremony and to wear for special occasions or really anytime his wants but won't be working with his hands.
  • I am trying to plan something just for the two of us, nothing extravagant or expensive, just meaningful. Sorry, 50 isn't going to buy him a platinum ring so he can keep the original.
  • Thanks for suggesting palladium. We were reading about it after we realized he was allergic to the gold, and in everything we read, it said palladium could contain nickel depending on the part of the world it came from.
  • You can cut other metals off in the ER. The weird size issue isn't even an issue. Your jeweler just wants you to go the more expensive route.
  • Have you tried tungstun? My husband choose that because it breaks instead of bends like golds. He is a heavy duty agriculture mechanic and won't be wearing his band 90% of the time but when he does have it on, I didn't want it to be a risk anyway.

Anniversary
  • There are coatings you can put on jewelry to act as a barrier. That or a few layers of clear nail polish works for me but my nickel allergy isn't that severe
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My fiance got a ceramic ring. We were both concered about Tungsten Carbide and how the ring would have to be removed. Ceramic gives the same look but it can be broken by taking a point object, like a screw driver and giving it a good tap. The ring will shatter, but better then losing the finger & then there is no point to a ring.
  • edited September 2012
    Have your jewler coat it in rhodium, if that's an option. I had the same problem with my engagement ring; I knew I was allergic to nickel, but didn't know how bad it would be! Less than 3 months into the engagement I got a really weird rash on my finger & had to take it in to the jewler. Fortunately the place my fiance got my ring from will recoat it in rhodium as often as I need it to be (every month even!), but I know not all places do that.
    Almost any type of metal can have trace amounts of nickel, but talk to a reputable jewler & do your research online. Most rings of palladium & platinum won't. 
    If it's a really pressing matter to not have the ring coated, then stick with the route you've got. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting it plated/coated in something like rhodium, & then upgrade to platinum when you've got enough money. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards