Massachusetts-Boston

Destination Bachelorette Parties

I was just wondering how common it is to have a destination bachelorette/bachelor party. My fiance and I actually met on one (I was on a bachelorette and he was on a bachelor party in Vegas) and now we're thinking of doing one with out wedding parties. I'm a little worried about asking people to spend money on a trip, but at the same time most of our friends have responded positively to the idea.  What has your experience been with these? Like? Dislike?

Re: Destination Bachelorette Parties

• edited December 2011
    I think it really depends on your bridal party and their budget.  My friend went to Philly for her bachelorette party (not quite sure why...) and everyone was cool with paying.  If everyone can afford it, I don't see it as a problem, but if not, I wouldn't do it.  FI and I are getting married two months after his best friend, and friend suggested a dual bachelor party in Vegas, but that got shot down realllly quick.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine was in South Beach and it was amazing - Pics in my planning bio.

Most of my bridesmaids (4 of the 5) live in FL so picked Miami so they could drive. I think it's nice if you could make it somewhere ppl don't have to buy a plane ticket if you know they are on a budget. You know your BM's so if they have money to blow on a big trip, go for it. If not, try to keep their budgets in mind. I think a girl's weekend away is a fabulous way to do the bachelorette!!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that it depends on your bp.

I know with my bms they would not be able to afford to fly somewhere for a weekend away (as well as pay for hotel, food, going out, etc). Now somewhere closer like the Cape is probably swingable.
  • Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im going to do both.  One destination for my friends who want to/can afford to and one in town for those who cant.  It works for me, lol, since I basically get 2 Bachelorette parties out of the deal! 

My friends are happy with that since the single, childless ones have the extra cash laying around and my friends that are married and moms still get to have an awesome night out!
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • eouelleteouellet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine was in Chicago...a bunch of my girlfriends live there, so it wasn't really "destination" for everyone but we all stayed at a hotel anyway (even the ones who lived in Chi) and it was just a fun getaway.  I really liked having it somewhere besides Boston because, while I love living in this city, I am totally used to it and go out here all the time.  It was nice for something new.
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing both too. Going with fewer of my BMs to Florida, but we are staying at one of my friends' parents house, so it isn't going to cost us that much. Also it is a double bachelorette- I am the MOH for my MOH, and we were happy to celebrate it together! Then I will go out with all my BMs and other friends after the bridal shower, just for a girls night.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine was in New Orleans a few weeks ago...there was no pressure to go with any of my BMs or friends and I knew it was another thing they had to spend money on but they individually made the decision to go or not.

One of the things that worked best for us, is we booked our flights almost six months in advance to take advantage of a slight drop in airline prices. Another thing is to call the hotel you are planning on staying at and set up a room block for your group (similar to what you might do for your wedding) - there was no obligation on the number of rooms we had to take and we ended up staying on Bourbon Street for less than $150 at a four star hotel and only used 5 of the 10 rooms in the block!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to South Beach and cannot wait! I agree that it depends on your friends situations.  You just have to understand if a friend says they can't afford the trip. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    my opinion is that in this economy it might be tough for people to afford it and even more awkward for one BM to have to decline for financial reasons when everyone else might be able to afford it. can you do one locally and an optional destination party?
    Irish *wife* on Nantucket, lovin' the island life with the love of my life! image
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree with PP.  Sounds like a ton of fun, but you have to be sensitive to the people who might not be able to afford it.  I would maybe mention it and feel people out.  If they all sound excited, go for it!  If some hesitate, I'd ditch the idea.  And make sure your WP doesn't pressure the others into going if they can't afford it. That happened to my FI and it was really frustrating (they tried to make him spend $1000 on a trip he coudln't afford, knowing we JUST bought a house!).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards