Wedding Invitations & Paper

Adult only reception wording

I am newly engaged, however, my fiance and I have been talking for months about what we want (and don't want) at our ceremony and reception. One thing we are both very adamant about is an adult only ceremony and reception. We both have family and friends with children, and while we love them, we would prefer to have adults only on our day. We will not be having flower girls or ring bearers. How would I explain this to people who do not understand. And is simply stating on our reception cards "adult only reception" sufficient?

Re: Adult only reception wording

• Please do not put "Adults only reception" or any other variation on your inviations or elsewhere. This is considered very poor etiquette.  Instead, just address the invitation to the people who are invited.  If the invitation is addressed to Mr. and Mrs. John Doe, and they RSVP with their children, call them and politely explain that the invitation was just meant for the two of them and children cannot be accommodated.  Be prepared to have some people be angry or refuse to attend without their children.  In that case, just reply, "I'm so sorry you won't be able to attend" and stand your ground.
  • Yeah. You can't put "adults only". We still had people show up with their kids even when they weren't on the invitation AND weren't RSVP'd for.

We had one couple RSVP for 5...the two of them, two kids, and their babysitter when the invitation was only for Mr & Mrs John Doe. Uggghhh.

People are nuts when it comes to their kids.
  • Ditto PPs above. And MS.....ugh. That happened to my aunt. Her SIL showed up with kids despite going through the whole polite process/chain of invitation explanation. I just can't imagine being such an ass.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thank you so much for your honest responses! I was hoping to get some good feedback!

• I have included on my wedding website info about finding a babysitter under accomodations. I think this is a subtle way to clear up any confusion on this subject. We will see if it works.
  • Personally I don't care if its impolite to put adults only, or kid-free or some variation... Im doing it anyway. I absolutely do not want kids there and I feel like I have to specify for those people who lack common sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards