Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

Do you have to have vintage music if you expect guest to dress up in vintage?

We're been looking for music and the albums that we found are 50's and onwards and there are hardly any really party type music, it's mostly slow. What did you do for your vintage theme knotties? Thanking you in advance :)
Definition of WEDDING 1: a marriage ceremony usually with its accompanying festivities : nuptials 2: an act, process, or instance of joining in close association 3: a wedding anniversary or its celebration! Hence a 2nd wedding forum isn't JUST for ppl getting married again! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do you have to have vintage music if you expect guest to dress up in vintage?

• Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    We played vintage music for the cocktail hour and during dinner to set the mood.  We also used vintage music for some of our special dances/events like the mother/son dance and father/daughter, bouquet toss, garter removal etc.  All the rest of the night--where our guests want to have a good time--was dictated by their taste of music.

editted to add:  For whatever it's worth, we also didn't ask our guests to dress up.
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    I'm mixing vintage music in throughout the night, but will also be playing a wide variety of other music.  If you are trying to go for a total theme with people all in dress you could try to lean more towards all 50's-60's music.  There is a lot of good dancing music from that time!
  • Options
    Try libraries for some CD's with oldies!  Watch movies from the 50's 60's or movies about that time for music inspiration.  Here's a list of the top 100 "rock and roll" songs from the 50's....lots of good dance songs in here!

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs50s.html
  • Options
    I consider my event to be vintage-inspired, but not a costume party. So I don't feel bound to just one time point. That said, my event current has no music and dancing planned. I am considering trying to rent the bowling alley across the street--I actually think more people would have fun with that. I think you can play music there...

BTW: It is candlepins. Giggle.
    Retro/Vintage Inspirations

imageimageimage

• Options
    I also plan to have big band music and the like from the 30's, 40's, and 50's during the cocktail hour and dinner.  But since music of all types is a huge part of my life I'm not limiting the evening to that genre.  We'll have a few ceremonial songs during the reception from that era, but we'll have music both new and old all night including hip hop in the 11 o' clock hour.  Even our first dance will be from 2008. This is part of the reason why I try to avoid the word "theme" when we talk about our wedding and instead use "inspired." :)
  • Options
    We plan on using some Big Band 30's music for the cocktail hour and special dances and then will switch over after dinner to more modern dance music so we can whoop it up all night long! 

No costumes for guests but our photobooth will have a few props
  • Options
    We are doing almost exactly the same thing for music!! 
    Congrats to you!! Hope your day is amazing!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards