Snarky Brides

Wedding Reception Dance Music Poll...

So first of all...I went to work today and managed to stay off TK and when I finally got on there were like a trillion posts about the callout site and wow, too much too read...

Completely different topic...

FI and I were talking about music for the dance portion of our wedding reception and it appears we have slightly different opinions on how it should go...his family totally dances a ton so he wants lots of oldies...like 70s, 80s stuff...none of my family will really be there so it is mostly my friends and they are more of the 90s/00's generation.

So it begs the question...what do the ladies of SB like to hear when it comes to wedding dance music?  Eclectic? Stuff everyone is guaranteed to know regardless of age? Let the DJ figure it out?  

The only thing I know is that I want people dancing long into the night because we have the DJ til 1am and our late night pick up isn't coming til half past 1!

Re: Wedding Reception Dance Music Poll...

• edited August 2010
    I would say to give him a list of some favorites of yours that you definitely want played and that you could also see people enjoying.

Then I'd just give him an idea of the other types of music and have him play a mix of the 70's/80's stuff and 90's stuff. Experienced DJ's are usually pretty good at reading the crowd and seeing what draws people to the dance floor.

EDIT: (Because my reading comprehension skills are failing me today)

I will have a lot of different styles of music too. Between FI and I we listen to a lot of different types of music. Everything from Motown to Classic Rock, to Hip Hop. I'll defintiely have some specific songs I'd like, then the rest I'll leave up to the DJ.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Our music is going to be really eclectic. If I had it my way we would probably have a mosh pit. haha. I love classic rock and various forms of punk rock. FI, on the other hand, loves country and some 80s stuff. So, it's going to be an interesting mix of those genres.
    Photobucket
  • We are having oldies, country and 80s.  The band is in charge of most of it. 
  • Eclectic. We had everything from the Doors and Nickleback to "I'm Too Sexy" (joke song for my brother) and Kenny Rogers. People seemed to enjoy the variety, especially when an oldie came on that they loved.
  • We had a mix of everything. We did have almost all the group participation/line dances, the only ones I put the brakes on were the Macarena and anything involving props such as a Limbo. Those definitely got the most people on the dance floor since our friends & family (it was mostly family, smaller wedding about 100 guests) are older and don't dance as much. Little kids like them too if you have a lot of children on your guest list!
  • a mix of everything is always best.
    Photobucket
  • We just went for a mix of everything. Our DJ says he only plays clean versions and will avoid any song we want him to. I told him no Clarence Carter, but and only line dances if they are requested. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We did a mix of Guyanese, Hindi Filmi, and American Pop :) It was awesome!  Our DJ played clean versions as well, and we had a no play list (which included YMCA, Electric Slide, the Macarena, and a very very annoying Hindi song)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • I like a mix, pop (lady gaga, black eyed peas), hip hop (kayne, jay z), 70s (bee gees, village people), madonna's 80s (get into the groove, holiday)
  • I think we're sticking with a lot of classics, like Nat King Cole and Sinatra, for the first few hours, and then for the last hour or two, when some of the older folks leave, we'll do more dance-able music, like 80s/90s.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards