Second Weddings

White dress at 53?

My fiancee has been married before, but never got to see his bride come down the aisle in a pretty white dress.  I want him to have that!  And I found a dress that doesn't look too young, it's not huge, and is conservative.  But it is white!  I don't know the etiquette concerning this.  I would like to know what people think.

Re: White dress at 53?

• Do it! It's a day to celebrate your love and commitment. You are showing both by picking a dress that sounds perfect and also doing something thoughful for him.
  • White means happiness, if you're interpreting the colour. Age is a number, and nothing more.

If it's the right dress, I'd say go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • White dresses have nothing to do with virginity.  Back in the day women just used to wear their best gown, which was usually a color.  Rich people could afford to have white gowns because nobody else would ever spend money on something that would get dirty so easily, so wearing white became a sign of weath.  It became popular for weddings in the Victorian era (so really, not all that long ago).

If you want to wear white, then you should wear white:-)  
    DSC_9275
  • If you want to wear white go for it!   I did when I got married last year at 48...  It was my groom's wish to see me in a gown and that he wore a tux - so that is what we did.

• Just making sure you have as many votes as possible - wear the white! If you have found  a dress you love, wear it and enjoy it
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I wore white.   (Actually ivory but whatever)  at age 48 and after a failed marriage prior to this one. Wear what makes you feel good and pretty.

Edited for Droid wackiness. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Go for it!!  :-)

image 82 Invited
    image 35 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image41 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: Dec 19
    image Favorite Registry Item/South FL Board
  • I wore white at 56. While it was my first marriage, I'd had 2 kids already so I REALLY wasn't "virginal", LOL.

If you have found a dress you like, then wear it, regardless of color.

Enjoy your day and don't mind people who make a big deal about (if they do).
  • My mom is 55 and getting married in 5 weeks. She is wearing ivory. It's a traditional wedding dress. She originally didn't want to wear a wedding dress, but I was the one that convinced her to buy a real wedding dress. She has been very off about her wedding because I just got married 5 weeks ago. (Yes, 70 days in between our two weddings!) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wore a white (well, ivory) dress for my wedding at age 56.  It was my second marriage, and my two grown children were my attendants.

If white looks good on you, wear it.  There are no etiquette rules that would impose a maximum age on wearing white.
  • As far as I know, there is no etiquette issue regarding dress color for a bride of any age.  Go with what you want. 

Enjoy!!
  • I say go with it! If it's the dress you want that's all that matters!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's a lovely, thoughtful gift to your intended!  If you love the dress and feel fantastic in it, then wear it with joy (and blow his mind just a little--in the best of ways--when he sees you!  Wink).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards