Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Reception at the University Club?

Has anyone heard any reviews/opinions about a wedding reception at the University Club in Oakland?  The pictures online look really nice but my fiance and really want to make sure the food is outstanding, and I can't seem to find any opinions about the facility.

Re: Reception at the University Club?

• edited December 2011
    The facility is newly renovated within the last year/year and a half.  It is on the smaller side, I believe it holds about 150 people.

I'm not sure who does the catering, it may be in-house.

Sorry I'm not more help.  Good luck and Congrats!
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The University Club was actually one of the places we looked at when we were touring reception venues last summer. It was also THE place my FI wanted to have the reception at since he was a Pitt alum. I also thought it would be neat since I had been getting my master's at Pitt.  I had been in contact with the events director and had set up a date to tour. Our time and visit had also been confirmed by the lady herself when I sent an email a few days prior. She had stated that she wouldn't be working that day but she said that one of two gentlemen would be there to take us around and answer our questions. So here's what followed:

My FI and I are both extremely punctual people so I think we arrived about 10 minutes early which is fine. On Saturdays, non-club hours (I think there is a lot more going on during the week with school functions and whatnot), there is no one at the reception desk. Me being naive and thinking that at a place like this it would be professional, I just assumed at our designated time someone would come down to the lobby and greet us. 1 PM came and went. We waited another 10 minutes until I decided this is ridic. we need to go find someone. We went up to a level where there were administrative offices and although doors were open, there was no around. In the main ballroom there was a function going on but neither of us were about to go into this room and try to seek out the needle in the haystack type person. We go back down to the lobby and by this time it was almost 1:30-30 minutes later and we had still not been met by anone. FI was really upset by this point, I was just plain furious. About five minutes later a cleaning lady walked by and I explained about our situation. She then tried to radio the person we were supposed to meet with. Eventually she went in search of him. Now it was about 1:45 and finally the guy comes down. What infuriated me the most was that he totally acted like he had not kept us waiting for the last 45 minutes. It wasn't as if we had come by unannounced. We had a time set up to meet with someone and we were completely blown off. I know that if we had not come across the cleaning lady, he would not have come down at all.

Long story short, he took us around with that lasting for about 10 minutes. We obviously didn't end up going with the club namely due to the fact that I didn't want  $10K being spent on a place that didn't deem us important enough to meet with at our pre-set time/that they exhibited no profesisonalism at all.

Catering is in-house/they also have a pastry chef there too. Excluding our unfortunate incident, another thing I didn't like was that they have the beautiful patio that overlooks Soldiers and Sailors and 5th but because they can potentially have 2 receptions going on at the same time, you're not guaranteed use of it. I thought that was one of the biggest draws for booking there.

I'm sorry for the book I wrote but I just wanted to have you be aware of what happened to FI and I. You only have your special day once in a lifetime and for me I wanted to have it be in the hands of people that were competant and cared about our reception and special day.
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry that you had such a bad experience, Phillychica. This place was also my FI's #1 choice. It didn't work out for us either, but I loved it.

When we went to tour, we were able to meet with the lady who usually books it. (I forget her name). She was very kind. We didn't get the impression that it was very likely that they'd have 2 receptions at once, but I'm sure it could happen. I imagine you could probably book the patio (for an additional charge) when you book the ballroom, so I assume you'd know it was all yours.

I called soon after we toured and placed our date on hold. I had fallen in love and was getting pretty excited about it, and then I got a call the next day or so telling me that the University  had decided they wanted it on our date, they had priority, and we couldn't book. I was devastated. It really made it hard for us to find someplace else, because we'd already found 'the one," if you will, and we kept comparing everything else...

Make sure you have your guest list nailed down because my biggest concern was that I felt people might end up being cramped. I don't know anything about the taste of the food, but it SOUNDED good!

Good luck in your search!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yrteemsyrteems member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What were the rates at the UC? Also, do you have to be a Pitt alum or faculty member to host an event there?
  • AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, you don't have to be an alum. I don't think I still have my info w/ rates. I think the cheapest plate was in the high 70's, low 80's, and went up significantly if you got something fancier (but it sure sounded good!). Don't take my word for it, though. We looked several months ago, and I could be wrong.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • eddiesgirl11eddiesgirl11 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

I also had disappointing results with this venue. I simply sent an email to inquire about pricing and set ups ect and was ignored for TWO MONTHS.  If someone can ignore a potential clients email ( who hasnt paid yet) it def. made me wonder what they would do once they got my money and really didnt care.

• bieltzmbieltzm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    After looking into the University Club futher I was extremely disappointed.  My fiance and I made an appointment and actually saw the venue (which is beautiful), but when I needed questions answered it took me two and a half weeks to get in touch with the planner!!!  I must have left 5 or 6 messages! Then after getting in touch with her (just by chance) we called again to talk about booking the reception place.  It has been 2 more weeks and she still has not returned our call! Looks like we are not having our reception at the University Club
  • Just met with them last nite..did a food taste with our daughter and it was wonderful...service,,etc..can not say enough...they treated us perfect and was extremely nice...KElly and staff were wonderful...we signed contract immediately and was by far the best staff, food, location...p.s. we have checked over 15 locations..menues...very ..very..happy with them...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards