Registry and Gift Forum

When is the best time to register?

My Knot checklist is telling me to register 8 months ahead of time.  Why so early?

Re: When is the best time to register?

• Take the Knot's checklist advice with a grain of salt. You do not need to register htis early. But you can, you just  may run in to problems later on with discontinued items. Register before any gift-giving events, like a shower.
  • I think 6 months out is more than enough time.  Longer than that and you'll have items get discontinued. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A lot of The Knot's checklist timelines are way off, IMO.  Every bakery I've been to says that they only need to be booked a month in advance for a wedding cake, but the knot insists that I should do it 5 or 6 months out.

6 months out is a good rule of thumb to start registering. 
  • You can register now or you can wait closer until you have any gift giving parties.  Fi and I started a couple registries before our engagement party because people were asking what to get.  Now we have just been checking every month or so and deleting any items that are no longer available and adding an alternative.

If you register early just keep an eye on it to make sure your registry isn't filled with items people can no longer buy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would say about 6 months out...my FI and I have a short engagement (5 months) and we did it about 3 months from the wedding!  It was SO fun though!  It's nice to do it early enough that when you start to realize things that you forgot to add, you have the time to do so!

• edited September 2010
    I think PP gave good advice -- we registered now (8 months out) because family wants a list for Christmas and birthday gifts, since our birthday are both in the late fall. But it is annoying because I'll have to go back on it every few months to update it and make sure stuff isn't discontinued.
  • It all depends on the couple if you want to register really early.  If someone is throwing you an engagement party then you should register so people can pick stuff from your registry.  We registered over 9 months early so that my family could shop off our registry for Christmas and my birthday.
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Christmas Movie
    My Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards