Wedding Etiquette Forum

Family Issues

When we picked our Wedding Party, My sister and I weren't talking, so naturally I did not ask her to be a part of the bridal party. However, we are now in an "ok" place and I'm wondering what to do. I do have one less Bridesmaid than FI has Groomsmen. So I have been toying with the idea of still asking her to be a bridesmaid.

However, there are a couple things stopping me. 
1 - We have always had a rocky relationship whats to say we will be in the clear 11 months from now.
2- Her and Her Husband don't have alot of money and being in a wedding can be expensive.
3- She is currently pregnant, and is due in March. Now this is plenty of time before the wedding, however, I'm not sure what to do about her bridesmaid dress, as we are ordering the other girls dresses in the next couple months.
4- We are having no kids at the wedding. This would include her 4 year old and the new baby. I feel like if she is in the wedding party she will be less flexible with coming and going when she needs to. 

From the get-go I was hoping that even though she was not in the wedding party that she would like to do the readings at the ceremony. I'm wondering if this is still the most appropriate thing for her, as that way, she's not obligated to buy a dress and spend alot of money. She is still an important party of the day, but does not have any strenuous obligations, so she is free to show up and leave when she needs to go home to tend to her children.

However, all that to say, I'm torn because she is my sister, my only sister, and a part of me still would like her to be in the wedding. 

Does any one have any thoughts or advice. I really am stuck on what to do, I'd like to hear what people think!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Family Issues

• Ditto the reading.  And honestly, she is still a part of the wedding that way.
  • Sides do not have to be even.  Whether or not you ask your sister should only be a question of whether or not you feel the relationship you have with her is worthy of the honor.

You can certainly ask her do a reading and not mention being in the bridal party to her, but you shouldn't ask her to a reading as a consolation prize.  You can ask her to be in your bridal party, give her time to consider it, and if she says no then ask if she will do a reading.  Either way, reader of bridal party member, she will still be able to come and go as she needs.  Bridal party members are not obligated to do anything more than show up, sober and smiling.
    Anniversary

• edited October 2012
    Oh no worries, I certainly don't intend on asking her to be a reader as a consolation Prize. 

Infact, the bridesmaid thing hasn't come up between us at all, so If I ask her to read, it will be the first mention of anything to do with her & the wedding.  

I guess I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by asking her to do a reading instead of being in the wedding party. I dont want her to hold this grudge over me for the rest of our lives.

I honestly just feel like doing a reading makes the most sense for her logistically & financially.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Has she hinted about it at all?  Have you gotten the vibe from her that she's disappointed not to be invited to be a BM?  Only you have the answers to that one.

If she doesn't seem bothered, then don't be bothered yourself.  The reading is fine, and probably fits perfectly.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• She has not said anything to me directly. She has however mentioned to my mom that I haven't asked her to be a bridesmaid.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_family-issues-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3a3002f2-dd13-4971-bc1b-ef514564fcb8Post:c3a8305b-05e9-4ee6-bf8f-3a9101b0c678">Re: Family Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]She has not said anything to me directly. She has however mentioned to my mom that I haven't asked her to be a bridesmaid.
    Posted by ftrmrsweatherdon[/QUOTE]

Everyone always says that you should pick who you want as a bridesmaid because you truly want them. I think every situation is different and since she's hinted to your mom about it she's obviously going to be hurt if you don't ask her. To avoid family drama/conflict/grudges I would ask her to be a bridesmaid. It sounds like you still have 11 months until your wedding. I don't think it would be an issue to ask her considering it's still a ways off. I wouldn't worry about the pregnancy part she's not the first pregnant bridesmaid in history. Do you already have a style picked out?
  • Yes, we have picked our dresses, the girls have got their sizes taken, and we will be ordering them in a month or so, when my out of town bridesmaid will be in town to try hers.

I guess, do we order a dress that fits her now, and assume she will be about the same size with alterations 6 months post baby?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_family-issues-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3a3002f2-dd13-4971-bc1b-ef514564fcb8Post:cbd8212c-41f2-4487-83a8-ff0775a1d4c0">Re: Family Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, we have picked our dresses, the girls have got their sizes taken, and we will be ordering them in a month or so, when my out of town bridesmaid will be in town to try hers. I guess, do we order a dress that fits her now, and assume she will be about the same size with alterations 6 months post baby?
    Posted by ftrmrsweatherdon[/QUOTE]

Ask the consultants at the store where you're buying your dresses from. They deal with that situation more often than the rest of us. Are all the dresses the same style? You might have an easier time fitting her if it's a forgiving style.
  • I think asking her to be a reader is your best bet. especially since you know she has financial difficulties.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_family-issues-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3a3002f2-dd13-4971-bc1b-ef514564fcb8Post:cbd8212c-41f2-4487-83a8-ff0775a1d4c0">Re: Family Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, we have picked our dresses, the girls have got their sizes taken, and we will be ordering them in a month or so, when my out of town bridesmaid will be in town to try hers. I<strong> guess, do we order a dress that fits her now, and assume she will be about the same size with alterations 6 months post baby?
    </strong>Posted by ftrmrsweatherdon[/QUOTE]

No. Dresses can typically only be altered within two sizes. Unless she has stayed withing two sizes of her pre-pregnancy size I wouldn't recommend this.
    Ask the consultant for sure. But, you have will be at the 10-month mark when you order your dresses? That's pretty early.
  • Well after much deliberation, I decided to ask my sister to be a bridesmaid, but first giving her all the information she needs to make an "informed" decision and offered her the opportunity to be a reader if she decides she would rather not be a bridesmaid.

Well.... First of all, she does not want to be a reader whatsoever, so that is out of the question.

Second - she hasn't even answered as to whether or not she'll be a bridesmaid becuase she is too furious with me at we have decided not to invite her kids. As much and as kind as I tried to be and to explain to her, that its not her kids we don't want, its other people's and unfortunately we can't say yes to some and not to others. To be fair to everyone we have decided no kids. period.

Well she's furious. 

My Sister - making everying about her since 1989.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Children are not all or nothing.  You invite the ones you want to have there, the ones you have a relationship with.  You do not owe anyone an explanaition as to why some kids were invited and some were not.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_family-issues-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3a3002f2-dd13-4971-bc1b-ef514564fcb8Post:cc9b2144-4134-4e8a-bb10-4fca6ae3b001">Re: Family Issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well after much deliberation, I decided to ask my sister to be a bridesmaid, but first giving her all the information she needs to make an "informed" decision and offered her the opportunity to be a reader if she decides she would rather not be a bridesmaid. Well.... First of all, she does not want to be a reader whatsoever, so that is out of the question. Second - she hasn't even answered as to whether or not she'll be a bridesmaid becuase she is too furious with me at we have decided not to invite her kids. As much and as kind as I tried to be and to explain to her, that its not her kids we don't want, its other people's and unfortunately we can't say yes to some and not to others. To be fair to everyone we have decided no kids. period. Well she's furious.  My Sister - making everying about her since 1989.
    Posted by ftrmrsweatherdon[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Children are not all or nothing.  You invite the ones you want to have there, the ones you have a relationship with.  You do not owe anyone an explanaition as to why some kids were invited and some were not.

</div>
  • I get what your saying, but I don't feel that way. I would feel bad telling our friends, no you can't bring your babies, then they show up and there are other babies & kids there. I'd prefer to avoid it all together.

I'm dissapointed my sister, can't see that its not all about her. Somehow she turned my asking her to be a Bridesmaid into a situation about her and shes furious about it.

Both my parents agree with our decision. I wish she would just stop being so selfish.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is something I have considered.

She wouldn't be the first person in the history of childcare, to pump so that she can be away from the baby for the day.

Some women go back to work after a few months, you can't tell me that its impossible to be away from a 6 month old for a day?

To be completely honest, my sister is the type of person who will breast feed for a couple weeks until it becomes too inconvenient. She did it with her first, and sure I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, she may still be BF this one on the day of the wedding, but there are ways to make it work.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards