Not Engaged Yet

NEY MD: Eating at Work

I don't know if I would even find an answer to this on the interwebz, but...

I'm a terrible eater. I don't eat breakfast and drink at least 2 cups of coffee a day. I leave my house so early in the morning that even the thought of food makes me feel icky. I don't eat lunch while I'm at work, only drink water or diet Coke (sometimes I use a Crystal Light packet in my water). I get really busy in the middle of the day answering emails, so sometimes time gets away from me and by the time I look at the clock, it's 4 and I'm going home soon anyway, so why bother to eat? I have a snack when I get home, and then dinner later.

I've noticed that whenever I eat during the day at work, my entire demeanor changes. My productivity shoots down, I start feeling sleepy and sluggish, and I can't concentrate. Sometimes I even have trouble speaking (stuttering and stumbling over words, losing my train of thought).

I can't even begin to explain this. Anyone have any input as to what could be wrong with me?

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg

Re: NEY MD: Eating at Work

• polkadot111polkadot111 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You probably just arent' used to eating anything but dinner it seems.

You really need to get used to eating three meals a day. I wonder if you just made yourself eat breakfast and lunch for a week if you'd not feel so weird after eating...
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    edited December 2011
    Have you been tested for hypoglycemia?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I kinda feel that yaga is along the right track  - if there's something wrong, it may be with your blood sugar regulation.  That stuff can make you feel drunk even when you're not (which the symptoms kinda sound like, no?)

Maybe see if you can have your doctor run some labs before/after eating?

Although if you don't feel sluggish after eating dinner, I dunno.

That being said, I would pass out if I didn't eat until 4 each day :)  I really like food, haha
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ney-md-eating-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2251fccd-a4ef-4bf5-b4df-e0ddbcf041d7Post:8aaef71d-78be-4f22-a21b-b2c855b3342b">NEY MD: Eating at Work</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if I would even find an answer to this on the interwebz, but... I'm a terrible eater. I don't eat breakfast and drink at least 2 cups of coffee a day. I leave my house so early in the morning that even the thought of food makes me feel icky. I don't eat lunch while I'm at work, only drink water or diet Coke (sometimes I use a Crystal Light packet in my water). I get really busy in the middle of the day answering emails, so sometimes time gets away from me and by the time I look at the clock, it's 4 and I'm going home soon anyway, so why bother to eat? I have a snack when I get home, and then dinner later. I've noticed that whenever I eat during the day at work, my entire demeanor changes. My productivity shoots down, I start feeling sleepy and sluggish, and I can't concentrate. Sometimes I even have trouble speaking (stuttering and stumbling over words, losing my train of thought).   I can't even begin to explain this. Anyone have any input as to what could be wrong with me?
    Posted by bsidebella[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm the same way.  Midday eating does not suit me.  I'm never hungry and, if I eat anyway, I'm just exhausted <em>and</em> starving for the rest of the day.</div><div>
    </div><div>I gave up trying to fix it and just accepted it as the way my body works.  I only eat at night now.  I also lost about 12 pounds when I stopped fighting it.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    yaga - it's within the hour. I started eating lunch today and I think maybe 15-30 minutes later, the symptoms started.

lunar - I have not, but it's worth looking into. Now that I have health insurance, I plan on making some doctor's appointments.

B&W - yeah, it does feel like being drunk. I've used the description that I feel hungover even though I haven't been drinking. And no, I don't usually feel sluggish after dinner.

EDIT:

Elle - I WISH I could lose weight. I seem to be gaining. Which is no bueno.

Liv - I tried doing the SlimFast thing when I was working at the kennel and I'd have to be at work from 6am til 2pm. It helped get me through the day. Maybe I should try that again.

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    It may just be the extra blood sugar.  If you aren't used to it, you aren't going to handle it well.

Comparison - now that I was diagnosed with celiac and have cut the gluten out, when I do eat it, it's a THOUSAND times worse than what it used to be.  Although drunk Peek still hasn't figured that out.  Or she doesn't give a shiit what hungover/sober Peek feels like.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ney-md-eating-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:2251fccd-a4ef-4bf5-b4df-e0ddbcf041d7Post:2d8ee3ad-d8d0-4d80-a490-743aafdc95b6">Re: NEY MD: Eating at Work</a>:
    [QUOTE]What are you eating that normally makes you feel bad?  Sometimes I have to eat again (like within an hour) if I had something particularly carb-y.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

It can be anything. I don't usually bring lunch from home, just because I tend to flat out forget. I usually try to make better choices at work, like Subway. Today it was a chicken bowl from Chipotle (which is also giving me the worst acid reflux right now, ugh).

edited December 2011
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/reactive-hypoglycemia/AN00934

Reactive hypoglycemia (or alimentary hypoglycemia) is low blood sugar that occurs after a meal — usually one to three hours after eating. Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) usually occurs while fasting. Signs and symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia may include hunger, weakness, shakiness, sleepiness, lightheadedness, anxiety and confusion.
  • csousa1csousa1 member
    edited December 2011
    You're messing with your metabolism, that's why. When you don't eat breakfast or lunch, your body's metabolism naturally becomes slower overall. When you throw in a meal when your body isn't expecting it, it now has to process a meal it was not counting on. It's energy heads to your stomach instead of your brain.

If you can get yourself in the habit of having a healthy breakfast and at least a snack in the middle of the day, you will notice a marked difference. Your metabolism will increase, as will your energy. You may even notice some weight loss. I've been yelled at by my sister before for only having a granola bar for breakfast while trying to lose weight, because it's actually counter-productive to eat less in the morning.

ETA: Low blood sugar/hypoglycemia is also a very likely possibility.
  • Stina51286Stina51286 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Bsidebella, most likely the gaining your talking about is because when you eat after not eating all day you are probably eating way more then you should since your body is basically in starvation mode all day. I am no way an expert but I have done some research on my own as I am a runner and wanted the best "diet" to lose weight and become a better runner.

The drunk feeling your probably feeling is that of a caffine overdose (per se) from not filling your body with nutrients but tons of caffine from coffee and diet coke.

Im hypoglycemic, was diagnosed with it over 5 years ago. If i drink coffee in the am on my way to work and having nothing else in my body by at least 10 im done for and I lose all concentration, shake, and feel like im going to pass out.

I agree with what Liv said about some protein drink, the protein and fiber will make your body hold onto what you do eat longer and it will take longer for your body to metabolise certain sugars (the issue with some hypoglycemics) and you wont crash as fast.

Im an on the go type of person esp with breakfast, and easy one is to pop an english muffin in the toaster, lightly buttered, sprinkled with cinnemon or even a waffle done the same way.

However if you do try things ppl are suggesting and they still do not work, you might have some other kind of illness and should go to the dr.

• MtlBride12MtlBride12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_ney-md-eating-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:2251fccd-a4ef-4bf5-b4df-e0ddbcf041d7Post:cd67266b-3040-4319-9d22-3ecd20cd5ec8">Re: NEY MD: Eating at Work</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're messing with your metabolism, that's why. When you don't eat breakfast or lunch, your body's metabolism naturally becomes slower overall. When you throw in a meal when your body isn't expecting it, it now has to process a meal it was not counting on. It's energy heads to your stomach instead of your brain. If you can get yourself in the habit of having a healthy breakfast and at least a snack in the middle of the day, you will notice a marked difference. Your metabolism will increase, as will your energy. You may even notice some weight loss. I've been yelled at by my sister before for only having a granola bar for breakfast while trying to lose weight, because it's actually counter-productive to eat less in the morning. ETA: Low blood sugar/hypoglycemia is also a very likely possibility.
    Posted by csousa1[/QUOTE]

This!

You should definitely start 'forcing' yourself to eat breakfast in the morning, something with protein. You can do a protein shake which is fast and easy and will make a big difference in how you feel. Your metabolism is so slow since you're basically starving yourself every day, it hangs on to everything you put in, which could explain not losing any weight. If you can try and eat small meals every two hours or so I think you'll notice a big difference, maybe not feel such a rush from your big midday meal, and probably see some weightloss once your metabolism evens out.
  • edited December 2011
    Damn, I need like a food babysitter or something to remind me when to eat and what I should be eating!

edited December 2011
    It might help to prepare stuff on the weekend and have it all sorted out to bring to work the following week. I used to boil 5 eggs- and bring them all to work with me on Monday.
  • cavewoman92cavewoman92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try packing some healthy snacks just to keep yourself busy. I know I need to constantly be chewing on something so i've taken up almonds, strawberries and yogurt. Just keep everything at work to make your life easier.
  • Stina51286Stina51286 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Here are some good snack ideas and healthy too!

String cheese and a serving of nuts
    Apple slices and peanut butter
    greek yogurt
    Hummas and pita chips
    My favorite.....pistashios!

• edited December 2011
    I know how you feel in regards to breakfast. I love to eat it, but I can't eat it right after I wake up. There has to be at least an hour to two hours from the time I wake up until the time I eat. Otherwise, it makes me nauseas. What I've started doing is having a Boost High Protein drink (in Rich Chocolate). It fills me up enough to keep from having mid-morning hunger pains, but it doesn't make me feel sick like eating food would that early in the morning.
  • edited December 2011
    What Yaga said is exactly what I'm thinking. If you don't eat all day and your blood sugar is low, you end up eating a huge filling meal to compensate. Then your pancreas secrets an excessive amount of insulin for that meal which basically rebounds and drops your blood sugar even lower. I definitely agree that you should start snacking throughout the day to keep a normal BG level. Pretzels and orange juice are great options :)
    5/27/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards