Attire & Accessories Forum

MOH Bought Her Dress (PIP) + mini complain sesh

The good news:

My MOH bought her dress and it's adorable (pic below)! Gilt was having a sale on TwoBirds infinity dresses, so she nabbed it, and I'm really happy it looks so great on her. I think it's a super gorgeous dress, and she looks especially good in it. 

I know some folks have had questions about infinity dresses, and so far she loves hers. She feels it's completely bra friendly, but I could see how many of the suggested styles would not be. She's also obviously a specific body type between super skinny (so she doesn't feel weird without a pushup bra) and very curvy (so she can easily keep her boobs in check). 

The not great news:

Even though I'm having my bridesmaids do mismatched dresses (matchy matchy feels like a Production of Our Wedding to me, yikes), it seems drama is going to happen no matter what. 

First of all, I've told them a million times that there is no need to buy a dress this early; MOH simply did because she loved that dress, and it went on sale on Gilt. If you see a dress you like between now and the wedding that fits the color scheme, nab it like she did. 

Second of all, the instructions they've been given are: neutral-toned, not satin and the same level of fancy. (My MOH is the exception to this, as she wanted to stand out and have a long dress, but everyone else said they preferred short.) So, I'm not even dictating a specific color. I had told them that I saw this going more of a light blue/grey/light purple thing or a nude/rose/blush/taupe thing. 

If anyone is curious, I made a pinterest board of many, many dresses I like because A) I'm bored a lotttt these days, and B) it's a cheat sheet: http://pinterest.com/emeejeeayen/maids-in-neutrals/ (they don't have to pick one of these, just thought it would make things clearer.)

All the bridesmaids said explicitly they did not care which color side we went with. MOH purchased the above dress, and now one of the other girls is saying that "no color in that scheme works with [her] skin tone." Seriously? There is nothing in the rose, blush, taupe, nude, beige or pink color families that work with your skin tone? 

But whatever, we have months, so who cares, right? Future Me will deal with this.

Just excited my MOH is happy and gorgeous (and wish my other friend weren't doing her best to stress me out about this so early in the game). Alas, can't win 'em all. 

Edited to resize picture! Whoops!
Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com

Re: MOH Bought Her Dress (PIP) + mini complain sesh

• mrsmtothekmrsmtothek member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    That dress is lovely! But in regards to your bridesmaid complaining, you should try to be a little more sensitive to her feelings. For me personally, that color family you described would really look awful on me. I have incredibly pale skin and light blonde hair--it would completely wash me out. I'd definitely have to go tanning to wear any of those colors. So to me the complaint is plausible. As a bride, it can be hard to step into her shoes because you want everything to be as you envisioned it. But the best way to get your girls to appreciate your efforts is to make sure they feel heard, regardless of how silly or stupid the idea may seem. It will ensure your experience with them is a positive one! 
  • Haha, I was thinking the same thing!  I'm a super pale redhead.  People would keep checking on me to make sure I wasn't naked!

Corals work really well with pale skintones, and would look lovely next to that dress you posted. Perhaps that's an option?
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_moh-bought-her-dress-pip-mini-complain-sesh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:b1da3fce-0a3a-4d07-b980-e8c34814f3e6Post:58b4d598-f66c-4d62-80e2-0560807dac17">Re: MOH Bought Her Dress (PIP) + mini complain sesh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha, I was thinking the same thing!  I'm a super pale redhead.  People would keep checking on me to make sure I wasn't naked! Corals work really well with pale skintones, and would look lovely next to that dress you posted. Perhaps that's an option?
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

<div>Totally. Like, pale girls wear pinks and corals all the time. She isn't saying it explicitly, but I don't think she likes pinks or corals. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I actually really like the monochromatic pale girl with blush tones look. I regularly wish I were pale to pull off that look. No joke. I would never force someone into something they're not comfortable with, but genuinely I think it's super cute. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • mrsmtothekmrsmtothek member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    emeejeeayen LOL I personally dont know too many pale girls that love wearing those colors, but as for me--I almost always avoid wearing pink and coral. It does NOT compliment me at all unless I'm tan, and achieving that is impossible unless its fake (spray-on). Being outside in the sun for less than 10 minutes equals sunburn for me, and flushed skin + pink dress = awful! Grass is always greener! So I wouldn't be surprised if she genuinely felt insecure. I'd encourage the tanning thing though, it helps me a lot!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_moh-bought-her-dress-pip-mini-complain-sesh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:b1da3fce-0a3a-4d07-b980-e8c34814f3e6Post:0faef1b2-03d2-4a8d-a2a0-e3c3538a5005">Re: MOH Bought Her Dress (PIP) + mini complain sesh</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOH Bought Her Dress (PIP) + mini complain sesh : Totally. Like, pale girls wear pinks and corals all the time. She isn't saying it explicitly, but I don't think she likes pinks or corals.  Also, I actually really like the monochromatic pale girl with blush tones look. I regularly wish I were pale to pull off that look. No joke. I would never force someone into something they're not comfortable with, but genuinely I think it's super cute. 
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Oh my, I'd probably do something illegal to be able to tan.  Seriously, SO jealous of people with skin tone.  I get 15, MAYBE 20 minutes without lotion in direct sunlight before I'm a lobster.  It's aweful.  And as a bonus I skip the tan and go right back to fishbelly white.  bleh.  Then again, my husband has a thing for redheads, so I guess I have no room to complain (though I have to keep my eye on him when Pepper Pots shows up on the big screen :P )

BUT, back to your main post.  Your bridesmaid is being silly.  Most girls don't get 1/8 of the consideration you are showing them when standing in a wedding.  I suspect she had her eye on a dress in a different color group, and now that the MOH has settle a different color group, she's just being grouchy.  She'll get over it, just give her time.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_moh-bought-her-dress-pip-mini-complain-sesh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:b1da3fce-0a3a-4d07-b980-e8c34814f3e6Post:f90c465e-165c-41da-82c8-c16957d8aa9a">Re: MOH Bought Her Dress (PIP) + mini complain sesh</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOH Bought Her Dress (PIP) + mini complain sesh : Oh my, I'd probably do something illegal to be able to tan.  Seriously, SO jealous of people with skin tone.  I get 15, MAYBE 20 minutes without lotion in direct sunlight before I'm a lobster.  It's aweful.  And as a bonus I skip the tan and go right back to fishbelly white.  bleh.  Then again, my husband has a thing for redheads, so I guess I have no room to complain (though I have to keep my eye on him when Pepper Pots shows up on the big screen :P ) BUT, back to your main post.  Your bridesmaid is being silly.  Most girls don't get 1/8 of the consideration you are showing them when standing in a wedding.  I suspect she had her eye on a dress in a different color group, and now that the MOH has settle a different color group, she's just being grouchy.  She'll get over it, just give her time.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh my gosh, I have the same problem.  I CANNOT tan to save the life of me, regardless of sunburns.  I'm going to Jamaica for my honeymoon, and my friends have bets on how long it takes me to get sunburned.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, I agree with PPs that monochromatic looks really wash out pale girls, but I think your friend is just grumpy.  You have plenty of time, so I would give her a short while to get over it.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards