Wedding Woes

AW - Jewelry making

So I've learned a ton of new techniques and I love it. I'm actually looking into maybe doing some street fairs in NYC or setting up an etsy store.

this summer I'm taking a wire crochet class. So H is no longer the only jeweler in the family. It's become a great hobby.

CW, I have one necklace done for you and I'm working on the next one.

Re: AW - Jewelry making

• loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is so cute. What a great hobby. I'd love to see your work.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I'll take some pics and post them on FB. I'm really proud of what I've learned.
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay. I can't wait.
  • edited December 2011
    ::faints:: cant wait to see it!
    I have a gift cert from my birthday last year for a jewelry making store. Maybe I'll finally get my butt in there and buy some stuff. I've made one necklace and loved it for about 30 seconds (which is how I ended up with the gc, dammit), but I don't love it anymore.
  • edited December 2011
    CW, when you get more into design and the like and learn new techniques (other than just stringing a bunch of beads on thread) it can be awesome or so taxing you want to throw your tools across the room.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i saw people wire crocheting, and crocheting with beads - both seemed pretty cool. I'm going to try it at some point - I already know how to crochet.

you could give needle felting a try as well - it's a lot of fun. 

I want to see pics too. 
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I should try this. I need hobbies and the few times I've made necklaces I've really enjoyed it. What is wire crochet? It sounds awesome.
  • edited December 2011
    TD, it's just crocheting with wire. You can add in beads and all sorts of stuff. It's very intricate. If you google image it you'll see some really gorgeous work.

Barbie, I would love to learn felting. How did you pick it up?
    edited December 2011
    i was looking through etsy and kept seeing cute little needle felted statues - i was like, "hmmm, i can do that"

so i bought some supplies and looked up a tutorial online (it was to make a ladybug). I went through the tutorial, and then just took off from there. The basic technique is easy, and you can incorporate things like a wire frame or bead/thread accents. 

i get my supplies from here:

• edited December 2011
    crap. another expensive hobby.

you might have to come to NYC to teach me :)
    edited December 2011
    We should have a craft GTG. It would probably have to be a whole weekend to cover all the stuff people do.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd totally be up for it. Question is: Where? I almost feel like we'd need a hotel ballroom with all of our supplies.
    edited December 2011
    I have all of my craft stuff packed into a bunch of those huge rubbermaid tubs in one of our spare bedrooms. this does not include my mosaic supplies, which are in the basement. 

i would really love a pottery wheel and a kiln, but DH would never go for that. 
  • edited December 2011
    See, we have an extra room in the aparment but it's full of other stuff. I have to limit my crafting supplies.

I stopped making painted glass stones. I have some scrap-booking supplies even though I don't scrap book (I make boxes and stuff as baby shower/bridal shower gifts). My knitting and crochet stuff is in various bags throughout the apartment. My beading stuff has to be out because I'm doing it weekly due to class. I seriously need a house with a room that I can dedicate to my hobbies.

Don't even ask where my sheet music is.
    edited December 2011
    I basically need a separate house for all my supplies. Right now they're overpowering our loft/office. I would love to turn the spare bedroom into a craft room, but the landlord left behind a queen bed that's almost as big as the room, and I don't want to have to give up my craft room when it inevitably becomes a nursery. Best to just not know what I'm missing.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_aw-jewelry-making?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:eef35c5a-24dc-4ca9-aeb4-6e877b8ee364Post:9ab1185f-26e6-4a9b-92c7-1ba87fea0398">Re: AW - Jewelry making</a>:
    [QUOTE]I basically need a separate house for all my supplies. Right now they're overpowering our loft/office. I would love to turn the spare bedroom into a craft room, but the landlord left behind a queen bed that's almost as big as the room, and I don't want to have to give up my craft room when it inevitably becomes a nursery. Best to just not know what I'm missing.
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]
    I'm going to have to. My mom already pointed out that my craft table would make a perfect changing table. Nooooo!
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you do wire wrapping tt?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards