Oregon

What county to get license?

Fiance comes home from Alaska Wed & we are getting our marriage license (he was gone so couldn't get it earlier, boo!).  Do you get it in the county you live in or you are getting married in, or does it matter?  What all do we bring, just our ID & birth certs?
Boyd & Jen 9.17.10

Re: What county to get license?

• edited December 2011
    I don't think it matters what county. (We got ours in Washington but were married in Polk.)
    What count are you in now? Google the county's page about getting a license and it will give you a list of requirements
  • jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It doesn't matter in which county you obtain your license. It is valid statedwide three days after being issued, for sixty days.

It's recommended that you take your birth certificates so that the information on the marriage license matches that on the birth certificate.
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Take cash.  Several of the counties (Clackamas included) only accept cash and do not have an ATM.  We learned the hard way when we went and I had to work on filling out the app while H went to look for an ATM.

Clackamas County has this worksheet - http://www.clackamas.us/docs/recording/marriage.pdf
    It's not the actual application, but helps you make sure you have all the info you'll need for the app.

I have also heard that you have to sign the marriage license app. with the name you plan to use after the wedding.  That was not the case when we got married, but someone told me recently that this is the new thing.  If you haven't decided what you're going to do about your name yet, you might want to be prepared for that!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_county-license?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:119Discussion:6bf13bd8-ebac-4f6f-adbf-516ffe22be54Post:fdf7128a-0ee8-4012-908e-0322b69b72f4">Re: What county to get license?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have also heard that you have to sign the marriage license app. with the name you plan to use after the wedding.  
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

<div>This wasn't the case for me when I got mine in August. Just signed my current signature. It did ask what your name would be AFTER the wedding. So I took my FI's name at that point. Still looks weird to me though!</div>
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_county-license?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:119Discussion:6bf13bd8-ebac-4f6f-adbf-516ffe22be54Post:1e3b8a6b-47e9-4232-bbc9-84e1f47ad450">Re: What county to get license?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What county to get license? : This wasn't the case for me when I got mine in August. Just signed my current signature. It did ask what your name would be AFTER the wedding. So I took my FI's name at that point. Still looks weird to me though!
    Posted by snarky_girl[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok.  Still, back in the olden days I didn't have to make that decision when we got the license.  Which was a good thing, since I didn't really know what I was going to do until after we got married and I tried to take his name - and hated it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards