Wedding Party

bridesmaid gift

I am thinking of doing a spa package for my BM that would fit into a tote bag.  In there I would include lotions, shower gels, salts, face masks ( each would match what they like).  However, I do not know if this would be appropriate for my flower girl (she is 10) or if I should do one that is a little simpler for her.

Re: bridesmaid gift

• Do all your BMs like the spa stuff?  If not you should really tailor each gift to each girls likes and dislikes.

Also, it is fine to buy your flower girl something age appropriate and that differes completely from what you are getting your other BMs.

• This is a tough one. A lot of people have preference to certain brands or products they use/don't use. I honestly throw out every "cheap" body wash or lotion I receive as gifts and I know I'm not alone on that.

The whole "Spa Kit" thing is kind of cliche and overdone, IMHO.

If you insist on doing it, I think your flower girl can handle this type of gift. I liked body washes, lotions & such when I was 10...
  • edited August 2012
    I always put the ones I get as gifts in our guest bathroom in a nice little basket. THEY love it! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Would you feel satisfied giving each of them that gift for their birthday or Christmas?  If not, keep looking.  For me, the whole thing would be wasted money.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I think the spa gift idea is nice! However, I'm one of the few that disagrees with the shopping for each girl like it's their birthday thing. I've been in weddings where feelings were hurt because someone got a nicer gift, etc. If your bridesmaids are truly your friends, they would enjoy any gift you picked out and appreciate the effort.

I probably would buy the 10 year old a different present though. It depends on if her parents would allow beauty items or not. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gift-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:6cf3d559-afb8-4677-a1c5-35f06838b70fPost:a57a2705-53f0-4d5c-9896-8fa46d2aadc0">Re: bridesmaid gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the spa gift idea is nice! However, I'm one of the few that disagrees with the shopping for each girl like it's their birthday thing.<strong> I've been in weddings where feelings were hurt because someone got a nicer gift</strong>, etc. If your bridesmaids are truly your friends, they would enjoy any gift you picked out and appreciate the effort. I probably would buy the 10 year old a different present though. It depends on if her parents would allow beauty items or not. 
    Posted by SmallenForever[/QUOTE]

Well then those people need to grow up.  Instead of being hurt because they didn't get what someone else got they should realize that the bride went out of her way to get each girl something that was meaningful for each individual person instead of treating them all like props and throwing them a typical monogrammed tote with random wedding day items in it that no one would ever use.

OP, if I was in your wedding party and received a tote full of spa stuff, it would sit in my bathroom cabinet for about a year and then be pitched into the trash when it came time for spring cleaning

• One thing I forgot to mention is that they like this type of thing and they will use it. it is better then giving them a necklace that they will only wear maybe once (or not at all).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gift-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:6cf3d559-afb8-4677-a1c5-35f06838b70fPost:a57a2705-53f0-4d5c-9896-8fa46d2aadc0">Re: bridesmaid gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the spa gift idea is nice! However, I'm one of the few that disagrees with the shopping for each girl like it's their birthday thing. <strong>I've been in weddings where feelings were hurt because someone got a nicer gift, etc.</strong> If your bridesmaids are truly your friends, they would enjoy any gift you picked out and appreciate the effort. I probably would buy the 10 year old a different present though. It depends on if her parents would allow beauty items or not. 
    Posted by SmallenForever[/QUOTE]
    Did those people also pout on someone else's birthday when they didn't get a gift, too?  Because that's about the same maturity level.  If the couple keeps the price points similar and tries to get something that each person would genuinely like, any remaining jealousy isn't the fault of the giver.<div>
    </div><div>And I hate the, "If they're you're friends, they'll like it" argument.  It completely removes any responsibility of the bride to be a friend too.  If YOU'RE truly THEIR friend, you'll put in some effort.  Friendship works both ways.</div>
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • WOW...thanks for getting me more confused then ever.....
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gift-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:6cf3d559-afb8-4677-a1c5-35f06838b70fPost:8a491eb1-d256-45a8-93d4-7dd4ce030021">Re: bridesmaid gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: bridesmaid gift : Did those people also pout on someone else's birthday when they didn't get a gift, too?  Because that's about the same maturity level.  If the couple keeps the price points similar and tries to get something that each person would genuinely like, any remaining jealousy isn't the fault of the giver. And I hate the, "If they're you're friends, they'll like it" argument.  It completely removes any responsibility of the bride to be a friend too.  If YOU'RE truly THEIR friend, you'll put in some effort.  Friendship works both ways.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't always like the gifts my friends give me, but I always appreciate the effort. Giving gifts is hard and some people are super picky. I think hating someone's gift and not appreciating the fact that they got you something is about as mature as being jealous over someone else's gift. Ilike getting a bridesmaids gift that matches everyone elses. Before, I've gotten jewlery and I liked having something that was from that particular wedding, rather than just any old gift. It's fun when I wear my necklace from so and so's wedding to have lunch with another one of their bridesmaids and our necklaces match. Brings back good memories. And if OP thinks her girls would all like the gift, then there is no issue. </div>
  • Just buy for them like it's their birthday.  I don't know why people feel the need to get everyone the exact same thing.  My BM weren't the exact same people, so it didn't make sense.  FWIW, OP, I got my girls

a SC palmetto wooden sign (she lives in Charleston and this is her home decor)
    a Freddy Krueger/Robert Englund print (my sister is obsessed)
    a whale bottle opener from BHLDN (it was on her pinterest "i want" board)
    gold earrings from Anthropologie (it was on her pinterest "i want" board)
    a SC/Clemson house divided wooden wreath (it's self explanatory)
    a gift card to her favorite restuarant with the promise to babysit (her and her H never get a night out alone)
    a pirate necklace and earrings (she's obsessed with pirates...has a pirate wench tattood on her rib cage and a pirate flag on her forearm)
  • edited August 2012
    Regardless of what you end up getting your bridesmaids... I would get something different for the flower girl OR a "spa package" more age appropriate. Instead of lotion/bath salts, maybe get some girly nail polish, lip balm, hair accessories and a locket or other nice necklace. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gift-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:6cf3d559-afb8-4677-a1c5-35f06838b70fPost:1303f22e-7f70-46e2-adba-2e732322bd78">Re: bridesmaid gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]WOW...thanks for getting me more confused then ever.....
    Posted by Starangelgurl12[/QUOTE]

<div>OP:  Ha.  This type of gift isn't my thing, but I would gratefully accept the gift from a friend.  It's a gesture.  Anyone who is going to get upset about a gift is ridiculous.  BUT, that said.  For a 10 year old, this is PERFECT.  Are you kidding?  My 4 year old neice would love most of that stuff, let alone a 10 year old.  I buy  my nieces and cousins beauty products - nail polish, lotions, etc.  all the time.  Think about how fun that would be to share at a sleep-over.  So, your initial question of the approriateness of the gift for a child, yes.   But, take that with a grain of salt.  Some moms won't like the idea. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• Tons of cute unique gift ideas for everyone and every age! check out http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonstonecreation. it is such a cute shop with tons of handstamped jewelry, bottle openers, military related jewelry, keychains, cufflinks, etc... Makes great wedding gifts for bridesmaids & groomsmen. I really like the key chain with a line from your vows stamped on. My hubby is reminded of our day and our promise everday.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-gift-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:6cf3d559-afb8-4677-a1c5-35f06838b70fPost:ca6566bf-3485-47d3-82b8-430a4d0a10fc">Re: bridesmaid gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just buy for them like it's their birthday.  I don't know why people feel the need to get everyone the exact same thing.  My BM weren't the exact same people, so it didn't make sense.  FWIW, OP, I got my girls a SC palmetto wooden sign (she lives in Charleston and this is her home decor) a Freddy Krueger/Robert Englund print (my sister is obsessed) a whale bottle opener from BHLDN (it was on her pinterest "i want" board) gold earrings from Anthropologie (it was on her pinterest "i want" board) a SC/Clemson house divided wooden wreath (it's self explanatory) a gift card to her favorite restuarant with the promise to babysit (her and her H never get a night out alone) a pirate necklace and earrings (she's obsessed with pirates...has a pirate wench tattood on her rib cage and a pirate flag on her forearm)
    Posted by gurrlballa10[/QUOTE]

awesome gifts!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards