Wedding Party
Options

Opinions NEEDED!

Before I met my FI, I was in a relationship for about 6 years.  My ex and I are the godparents of HIS cousin's daughter-who lives in Florida.  His cousin is a nut case to put it nicely-she is home all day, has never had a job, and posts her life story on fb....thriving on attention and drama. At the time I was 19 excited that she asked me...not to mention that I thought we were going to be "together forever."  As soon as my goddaughter's mother found out I was engaged she immediately asked me: Are you going to have your goddaughter in your wedding?  I found this rather rude and told her I didn't know it was too early to decide.

After discussing with my FI, we decided that it would be rather uncomfortable having my ex's cousin at the wedding, even though her daughter is my goddaughter.  So I discussed this with the cousin and she freaked out on me making me feel like I'm a horrible person. We almost always communicate via text message or email, so I emailed her to tell her my thoughts-ultimately to ensure that I didn't forget to tell her everything that I was thinking. She even went as far as getting my ex involved and had him contact me. They were both telling me that if I don't want to be her godmother anymore than I should just say so, but that's not the case at all, I just don't want to make my FI uncomfortable on OUR day.

Is it wrong of me to not have my goddaughter in my wedding?
I'm not proud of doing this via email, but was that completely wrong? Foot in mouth

Re: Opinions NEEDED!

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    No, it's not wrong of you not to have your goddaughter in the wedding. It's your wedding and your bridal party is your choice alone.

Was it wise to give a lengthy explanation, especially over e-mail? A simple, "Sorry, but we've already asked our bridal party" or "Sorry but we're not having children in/at the wedding" would've been fine, with no further explanation or apology necessary. But too late now.

Just drop the subject and don't provide any further discussion.
  • Options
    What PP said. you are in no way wrong, and no one should ever assume they're in someone's weddng party... esp with that kind of awkward relationship situation. Heck, most people would assume that you wouldn't want their kid in your wedding in that situation.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    I plan on inviting them, even tho she told me that they don't want to come
  • Options
    Don't discuss it with her anymore. Just send an invitation and that's all.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards