Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Snowball Dance

Is anyone else doing this, and if so what song are you using? 

For those of you who don't know what this is, like me until I started planning my music, this is the description my DJ gave me. It is a great way to get your guests on the dance floor.  The wedding party is called to the dance floor and then the chosen song is played (must be a fast song) and the bridal party starts dancing.  When they hear the music stop, each lady will go into the audience and bring back a different man.  The men will bring back another lady partner.  When this is done, dancing begins again.  This cycle continues until everyone is on the dance floor.  This is usually done at the beginning of open dancing.

Here are my issues with this.  It sounds like it would be so much fun, but the men in my BP do not dance.  I just wonder if it will look weird if it starts out with only the ladies.  And, I am concerned that some people may not want to get up and dance, but would rather be a spectator. 

What are your thoughts?

Re: Snowball Dance

• edited December 2011
    I don't see anything wrong with just staring with the ladies if the groomsmen aren't up for the challenge.

That said, I'd be really pumped as a wedding guest to get picked to dance if I were a close friend/relative of you or your hubby.  But if I got picked early and I was the +1 from someone's invitation and I didn't know anyone on the floor, I may feel a little awkward.  I think you may be able to avoid the awkwardness if you stop the dance before EVERYONE gets on the floor...2-4 rounds of partner choosing and then have the DJ play something else upbeat to keep the energy going and let people dance with whoever they want.  Good luck choosing!  I'm sure it'll be great either way!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    just playing devil's advocate here...i'd feel SUPER uncomfortable if someone picked me to dance.  i am NOT a dancer...until i have a couple of drinks in me.  i would absolutley hate if i got picked and either had to go dance...SOBER.  or if i had to be the person like, "NO NO NO NO...i insist, NO!"

i think if you play the right music...people will get up and dance if/when they want to.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    This is one of those things that could go either way.  You could have a crowd that is into it and it's awesome or one that is not and it's an epic fail. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards