Pennsylvania-Central

Alfred Angelo customers..

Does anyone have experience with Alfred Angelo's alterations department? The person I worked with when picking out my dress was very nice and helpful (harrisburg location) but I'm starting to find things she said to be exaggerations. There aren't locations near my bridesmaids (she looked it up and said there were! There are some in their STATE but hours away!) and the dresses took much longer than expected to arrive after ordering. Now I'm worried that the alterations she said would be "simple" are going to be much more complicated and a LOT more money. I ordered my dress which is strapless with a straight neckline after she promised it would be super easy to turn the neckline into a sweetheart. She said it was super easy and they did it all the time. I'm not supposed to take the dress in for alterations until January but I'm getting more and more worried as time goes on and my budget gets eaten up by other expenses. What if they 1, can't do it or 2, charge me more than the cost of the dress to make the change?
Anyone with an idea of their pricing?

Re: Alfred Angelo customers..

• edited December 2011

I am in a wedding on 10/16/10 and we got our dresses from Alfred Angelo. I went to the one in Harrisburg to have my alterations done(just a hem) and it was about $65. The woman that does the alterations was awesome tho she showed me some things to do to save me from having to do anything else to the dress so I would not worry about her not doing something, but I would be a little worried about the price.  Maybe look into other people that can do dress alterations and compare prices.  I hope this helps and let me know how it goes, I'm supposed to take my wedding dress in for alterations in Feb.

Good Luck!!

• edited December 2011

They told me things that weren't true as well. Seems as though they do and say whatever it takes to get you to buy the dress.  I was told it would take 2 months for my dress to come in and it took 2 weeks.  They measured me wrong and when my dress came in, it was too big and was told the alterations would be minimal. A few weeks ago I went for my 1st fitting and my alterations didn't stop at $400!!  I only lost 8 pounds from when I bought my dress till my 1st fitting.  I ended up buying a new dress...one off the rack that I could try on and amazingly it was 4 sizes smaller than the one they ordered me!  

I would suggest setting an appointment with Nancy, their Seamstress (she's very nice), and if the alterations are too costly then tell them that you'll need to get other quotes.  Good luck.

• psuxray07psuxray07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm I made an appt. for both my mom and I for Oct. 17th for alterations on our dresses at the H-burg store.  I don't have personal experience with it yet...  my one BM who is getting married next week had her straight lined strapless made into a sweeheart with no problems... she didn't say anything about the pricing.   They were on target with when all the dresses (mine and BM's) were to come in, which took 2-3 months.  I know I have a BM in another state and there's a store who deals with Alfred Angelo dresses, because I don't think there's an actual AA near her.  They also told all my BM's they only need to make alteration appt's about 6 wks before the wedding....I assumed it would all flow easily, lol...I hope so...
    *12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • JB26368JB26368 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    After reading this, I'm now in a panic over my alterations! I also got my dress from the AA in Harrisburg, and everything so far has been on target. However, I definitely know that I need my dress hemmed, and will need it taken in as well since I fell between 3 different sizes. I can only imagine how much this will run......the alterations lady at the HBG store was very nice when I bought my dress, and made suggestions as to what size I should order so that there wouldn't be any last minute surprises when it came to fittings (I measured between a 0 and a 4 and bought the 4). Maybe I should start savings for these sooner than I planned....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I bought my dress from AA in Lancaster and I went else where for my alterations. Typically those kinds of stores are very high priced for alterations! I was also told my my seamstress that they actually don't do the alterations on site, they ship the dresses to Florida (I think) and do them there. Personally, I would save yourself the headache and just find a reputable seamstress near you. If you are in the Lancaster area, I used Country Threads by Gail in Manheim and I would recommend her over and over again...she was fabulous!! And her prices were fantastic....she put a corset back in my dress, did a sweetheart neckline and also made me a veil for about $150.
    TTC #1 since 11/10
    10/11: Dx PCOS, 2000mg Metformin
    imageimage
    My Blog
    April Nesties March siggy challenge: Next Vacation, Anguilla!!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow that sounds great for only $150!! I'll definitely look into other places to have it done. I just worried that another place wouldn't have as much experience in wedding dresses specifically. Sounds like that won't be a problem!
  • psuxray07psuxray07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The H-burg store doesn't ship them out.  The seamstress actually has her own store in Hummelstown, but again I can't comment on the price yet lol.
    *12.31.10*New Year's Eve!*
    *BFP 1.3.13* IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I may be way off base here (I actually haven't shopped in-store yet for a dress) but don't they have to give you everything in wrting? The dress style, size, special requests, alterations etc. Along with a quote for price?

And although I don't know any seamstresses from the HBG area, I would make sure you have a few glowing recommendations before going with anybody privately. 

Sorry if I wasn't helpful, but wanted to throw that in.
    When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things must happen: There will be something solid for us to stand on, or we will be taught to fly. -Patrick Overton
  • edited December 2011
    All alterations are a totally separate deal. I've paid for and picked up my dress so that part is done and if I choose to get my alterations done there I'm to take the dress in next year and meet with the seamstress, get measurements re-done etc. I'm still a little worried about it but what can I do at this point? We'll see I guess!
  • TrishPATrishPA member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    unfourtunately I have not heard anything positive about this place, either of them, Lancaster or Harrisburg.  :( 
    My girlfriend went to the Lancaster one and felt like the force her into a decision and when she went the next day to cancel they made her feel really bad. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards