Illinois-Chicago

Booking Hair and Makeup

Hi Ladies,
I am 10 months out from the big day and I am trying to book all of my big vendors before I go back to work next week (I am a teacher).  I am curious as to when you all booked your hair and makeup artists.  I have all of the other big things booked, but I am not sure if it is too soon to do this one.  Thanks for all of your help!!

Re: Booking Hair and Makeup

• edited December 2011
    I haven't yet. I was wondering when to do all of this as well!
  • edited December 2011
    I actually booked my makeup artist a year and a half in advance.  I was lucky to have contacted her so early - she raised her prices A LOT a month later! 

With hair, I contacted someone six months beforehand and gave her a deposit.  Then a few weeks later, she and her husband got a job offer to do a comedy show on a cruise ship on the day of my wedding...I ended up finding a hair stylist two weeks before the wedding - used a friend's stylist.

GL!
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm still trying to find a MUA, so I'm not sure when I'll book. Hopefully before the end of the year.

Sonia Roselli looks great, but the prices are high when you figure in day of makeup and a trial....and travel to NWI.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I booked my vendor a month or so ago, and i'm about 12 months away from our wedding date!  there were some AWESOME MUA out there but they were WAY too expensive... I want to look hawt on my wedding day, but I cant give away my arm and leg to do so :)
  • edited December 2011
    I know so many people on here rave about Sonia Roselli....but I have a different experience.

I thought the person I dealt with to try to book her was really rude, and when she was breaking down prices....it got RIDICULOUS to book for a wedding party.

I just really got a bad taste in my mouth.  So I went with Cynthia Sally.  Maris (who is doing my wedding) did my make-up for our engagement photos this weekend, and I looked fab!

I think Cynthia Sally is very fairly priced, and everyone there is extremely nice & professional!!
    image **Married 7/9/11**
  • edited December 2011
    Just realized I didn't aswer the question!!  I booked one year in advance. :-)
    image **Married 7/9/11**
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_booking-hair-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:2498b965-ec69-44a4-9cbd-33e5c1d0196cPost:4ae0912f-4132-48e6-b1bd-09597a038832">Re: Booking Hair and Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know so many people on here rave about Sonia Roselli....but I have a different experience. I thought the person I dealt with to try to book her was really rude, and when she was breaking down prices....it got RIDICULOUS to book for a wedding party. Posted by PenelopeSnuz[/QUOTE]

I actually had a similar experience with her booking person, Susan.  I asked a few questions and they went unanswered because I was asking about the diferent prices for associate artists.  Oh well, I moved off of it.
  • Jami86eJami86e member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think we booked nine months in advance. we are using peter vassallo for both hair and makeup
    Visit Jewish.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is May 2011, but I'm not going to book until Nov/Dec. I wish I could book Sonia Roselli/Cynthia Sally/Monique Madrid because so many girls have given them all great reviews, but their prices for just make up (I have my own hair stylist that I'm using) are a little steep IMO. So, I'm having my hair and makeup done at Amato Salon in Tinley Park. I talked to my stylist and she said I should book by Dec. since my wedding is on a Sat.
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't scheduled my hair trial yet (gotta do that SOON).  I had a trial with Cynthia.  She was very nice and did a nice job but I wasn't 100% sold on it....so I'm trying to decide if I try someone else or if I go with Cynthia and hope it'll be better.
  • edited December 2011
    I booked my artist last June. My wedding isn't until June 2011. I feel if you know who you really want to use, you should do it as soon as you can.
    I'm using Holly Kasprisin for both my hair and makeup and MOH. I doing a Sunday wedding so she's doing it at a lower price then her normal rate. 
  • edited December 2011
    Ladies,

I am a makeup artist and I have affordable rates.  Please email me at aprettyprincessmakeup@yahoo.com for more information. 
  • miasmama13miasmama13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can personally refer Alma Valdes...She is a MUA that has done weddings, fashion show benefits, and local film sets. She is VERY reasonable, and will come to you! She did my makeup for a wedding that i was in for the enire wedding party and the bride. Alma was punctual and very professional, while still making us all feel at ease! I can pass you her number it is  773 816 3365
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards