Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception

Oh woe are we!

Because of various weird events, I had the idea of having a very small, intimate wedding and a reception later on down the road.

How much time can lapse between the wedding and reception and still be considered acceptable? I'm not talking about 30-45 minutes. I'm talking months. My parents eloped and had a reception a month later and it was considered fine at the time. If we got married in November and had the reception in March, would that be too great a time lapse?

The in-depth look at the issues: I have four sisters (two step, one half, one full blooded) and the only one who is full-blooded is in Afghanistan until December. We're trying to avoid having a winter wedding since both my hubby-to-be and I love Spring so much, and decided to have our whole hooplah in March so my sister could be a part of it. But we want to be married already! My sister told me she would be deeply hurt if we didn't wait for her to be a part of everything (this is a girl who generally cares less about family functions and has never shown any interest in weddings before). My fiance and I will possibly be moving next year (I'm waiting on grad school acceptance letters) and we are worried what that can do to such a young marraige. His family and he do not believe in sex or even living together before marraige, so we cannot live together in the meantime to build that foundation in the home. It has come down to pleasing people, which I hate, but I also truly want my sister to be able to be a part of things. By having seperate events, my sister can be a part of it still. Advice?

Re: Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_length-of-time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b5997ded-3496-42ea-9de0-6d916df0087cPost:a89c00d1-15f1-4f5d-a55c-69973a9d3cb4">Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh woe are we! Because of various weird events, I had the idea of having a very small, intimate wedding and a reception later on down the road. How much time can lapse between the wedding and reception and still be considered acceptable? I'm not talking about 30-45 minutes. I'm talking months. My parents eloped and had a reception a month later and it was considered fine at the time. If we got married in November and had the reception in March, would that be too great a time lapse? The in-depth look at the issues: I have four sisters (two step, one half, one full blooded) and the only one who is full-blooded is in Afghanistan until December. We're trying to avoid having a winter wedding since both my hubby-to-be and I love Spring so much, and decided to have our whole hooplah in March so my sister could be a part of it.<strong> But we want to be married already! My sister told me she would be deeply hurt if we didn't wait for her to be a part of everything (this is a girl who generally cares less about family functions and has never shown any interest in weddings before).</strong> My fiance and I will possibly be moving next year (I'm waiting on grad school acceptance letters) and we are worried what that can do to such a young marraige. <strong>His family and he do not believe in sex or even living together before marraige, so we cannot live together in the meantime to build that foundation in the home.</strong> It has come down to pleasing people, which I hate, but I also truly want my sister to be able to be a part of things. By having seperate events, my sister can be a part of it still. Advice?
    Posted by Fred13[/QUOTE]
    Sounds to me like you wanna get married so you can have sex. If it's important to you that your sister is there (it would be to me, and she's already voiced that she'd be hurt if you did it without her), then wait for her to get home. If you don't care about pissing off your sister and just wanna bang already, then get married. Having a reception months after the fact is a little ridiculous to me though. I wouldn't have a wedding in November, then a reception the following March.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    If you want a spring wedding and your sister is in Afghanistan until December, why in the world would you get married in November? Four months is not that long to wait, and you'll probably be glad, planning-wise, for the extra time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Most people would tell you not to call it a reception if it is that much later.  Also your sister will probably not be happy about just being a part of the reception.  It doesn't sound like you have a good relationship with her, so that might not matter to you.  Basically, you can have a party any time you want, but people might be hurt and you have to weigh that.
  • Options
    And winter weddings can be very beautiful so I don't see why that can't be what gives.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_length-of-time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b5997ded-3496-42ea-9de0-6d916df0087cPost:63081978-2d0e-42bb-964e-f78c74740eaa">Re: Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception : <strong>Sounds to me like you wanna get married so you can have sex.</strong> If it's important to you that your sister is there (it would be to me, and she's already voiced that she'd be hurt if you did it without her), then wait for her to get home. If you don't care about pissing off your sister and just wanna bang already, then get married. Having a reception months after the fact is a little ridiculous to me though. I wouldn't have a wedding in November, then a reception the following March.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

Hah! That's what I was going to say.

I agree with LC - for me it would be MOST important for my sister to be there to be a part of everything. Why not just wait. It's only 4 months.

I also agree that if you get married in November though you should do it all in November. As a gues I wouldn't want to go to a ceremony in November then a reception in March. I also wouldn't want to just be invited to the reception unless it was a party and not reception-y. I mean what's your plan? Are you going to wear your wedding dress again? It's just confusing.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Fred13Fred13 member
    First Comment

I read over what I wrote again, and yes I did word it a little awkward. We definitely are not so stressed about the hanky panky but moving on with our lives. Rather than waiting nine months to move forward with the next step, we'd ultimately like to be done with it now. I suppose I was thinking as late as November to decrease the time between reception and wedding.

• Options
    4 months is not that long. Just have the whole thing in March so that your sister can be there. It's not like she's on vacation; she's in Afghanistan FFS. I don't see what the big deal is (and for the record, my BF's dad is a born again Christian who doesn't believe in living together before marriage. A lot of people don't. It's not a big deal to wait).
  • Options
    Also, moving shouldn't be something so stressful that it breaks up your marriage. Yes, moving is stressful. But seriously, not so bad that you should be scared of "what it can do to a young marriage."
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I would wait until my sister was available.

And I don't think your FMIL and FFIL should be dictating your sex life.

And are you moving TOGETHER or would one of you be on the other side of the country for a year that early in the marriage? If you're together, no problem. FI and I might move next summer for grad school. And honestly, it's the stress of not knowing if and when right now that's the worst.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Fred13Fred13 member
    First Comment
    Hm. We were thinking if we went with this plan to have a VERY intimate wedding and a snazzy reception with all the bells and whistles later on. For me an intimate wedding means moms and dads, siblings, grandmas and grandpas and extremely close friends. No aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, etc. Since, literally, every couple in this immediate set of family has had a divorce, we're still looking at 40 people. I would wear a formal dress to this but not to the reception. I was thinking something simple and sweet. "reception-y" was mentioned a little condescendingly, but it's going to be a dry wedding anyways since nobody in my family drinks. It's a celebration more than a "party" and we intend to treat it that way.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_length-of-time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b5997ded-3496-42ea-9de0-6d916df0087cPost:91a884f1-7a29-4289-a515-17f359c6eb21">Re: Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read over what I wrote again, and yes I did word it a little awkward. We definitely are not so stressed about the hanky panky but moving on with our lives. Rather than waiting nine months to move forward with the next step, we'd ultimately like to be done with it now. I suppose I was thinking as late as November to decrease the time between reception and wedding.
    Posted by Fred13[/QUOTE]

Either way it's awkward. If you have a party in March that's fine. Don't have a reception though. Have the reception the same day. I'm wondering... are you going to wear your dress again? Are you inviting people to both? are you having a WP?

If you want to have a small JOP wedding in November and a party in March I'd be more okay with that. I just think it's weird to have a reception - what is it a reception for? You've been married for 4 months!!

If it's very important to you to get married sooner then get married sooner. If it's important for you to have your sister involved then wait. That seems to be the choice you have to make - you just can't really have both.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_length-of-time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b5997ded-3496-42ea-9de0-6d916df0087cPost:4917bdeb-8327-4510-9a5e-bf8c74fc229a">Re: Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hm. We were thinking if we went with this plan to have a VERY intimate wedding and a snazzy reception with all the bells and whistles later on. For me an intimate wedding means moms and dads, siblings, grandmas and grandpas and extremely close friends. No aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, etc. Since, literally, every couple in this immediate set of family has had a divorce, we're still looking at 40 people. I would wear a formal dress to this but not to the reception. I was thinking something simple and sweet. "reception-y" was mentioned a little condescendingly, but it's going to be a dry wedding anyways since nobody in my family drinks. It's a celebration more than a "party" and we intend to treat it that way.
    Posted by Fred13[/QUOTE]

1. I'd be kind of hurt to not be invited to a wedding of 40 people, esepcially if I was your sister.

2. 40 people makes for a fine, small wedding. I don't even see the need for a later reception. Just cater it and call it a day. I mean, you still have to feed all 40 of those people the day-of, anyway.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't understand why waiting 9 months from now to get married is a big deal, given that you've said you'd prefer a spring wedding and the fact that your sister wouldn't be able to attend a wedding in 5 months.  Just wanting to be married already isn't really a good reason, I don't think.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_length-of-time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b5997ded-3496-42ea-9de0-6d916df0087cPost:aa40c5bd-4e58-4dbd-abc2-3f2f2d6db588">Re: Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception :  2. 40 people makes for a fine, small wedding. I don't even see the need for a later reception. Just cater it and call it a day. I mean, you still have to feed all 40 of those people the day-of, anyway.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]
    She is wise.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_length-of-time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b5997ded-3496-42ea-9de0-6d916df0087cPost:4917bdeb-8327-4510-9a5e-bf8c74fc229a">Re: Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hm. We were thinking if we went with this plan to have a VERY intimate wedding and a snazzy reception with all the bells and whistles later on. For me an intimate wedding means moms and dads, siblings, grandmas and grandpas and extremely close friends. No aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, etc. Since, literally, every couple in this immediate set of family has had a divorce, we're still looking at 40 people. I would wear a formal dress to this but not to the reception. I was thinking something simple and sweet. "reception-y" was mentioned a little condescendingly, but it's going to be a dry wedding anyways since nobody in my family drinks. It's a celebration more than a "party" and we intend to treat it that way.
    Posted by Fred13[/QUOTE]

You must have written this while I was replying. I did not mean "reception-y" to sound condescending. Not really sure how you got that. I just meant that I would feel very weird to go to a big reception with cake cutting, first dance, wedding dress, bouquet toss, etc. if I hadn't gone to the wedding. I would however feel okay going to a party to celebrate the marriage.

I just think that if you are inviting people to the reception they should also be invited to the ceremony. If it's a party to celebrate the marriage it's a different thing.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Fred13Fred13 member
    First Comment
    I only mentioned living together and "sex" because this tends to be the norm these days; to live together before marraige. I don't mind waiting, but without living together, we lose the option of working out our freaky habits and kinks before adding the stress of moving, finding jobs in our careers and just making things work far away from family and friends. The bonus in moving IS that we will have to learn to truly rely on eachother. I guess I'm trying to look at this from all angles and I threw too much into one post with only the simple issue of time. haha
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sing2phins, you are new. I just noticed you today. But I like you very much.

Edit: And I said that before you commented on my post!
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Aw, thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_length-of-time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b5997ded-3496-42ea-9de0-6d916df0087cPost:b8fb111d-a6f7-4068-822a-357ef6f1d175">Re: Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only mentioned living together and "sex" because this tends to be the norm these days; to live together before marraige. I don't mind waiting, but without living together, we lose the option of working out our freaky habits and kinks before adding the stress of moving, finding jobs in our careers and just making things work far away from family and friends. The bonus in moving IS that we will have to learn to truly rely on eachother. I guess I'm trying to look at this from all angles and I threw too much into one post with only the simple issue of time. haha
    Posted by Fred13[/QUOTE]

Well then to answer your original question: Having a reception 4 months after the wedding is WAY too long.

You guys are grown ups - if you want to live together it's okay for you to live together! If it's against your beliefs then again you have to make the choice - sister or sooner wedding.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree with pixie ^. Life isn't always easy. Yeah, it might be hard adjusting to living together AND moving away from family and friends, but that seems like a choice you'll have to make.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_length-of-time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b5997ded-3496-42ea-9de0-6d916df0087cPost:b8fb111d-a6f7-4068-822a-357ef6f1d175">Re: Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only mentioned living together and "sex" because this tends to be the norm these days; to live together before marraige. I don't mind waiting, but without living together, <strong>we lose the option of working out our freaky habits and kinks before adding the stress of moving,</strong> finding jobs in our careers and just making things work far away from family and friends. The bonus in moving IS that we will have to learn to truly rely on eachother. I guess I'm trying to look at this from all angles and I threw too much into one post with only the simple issue of time. haha
    Posted by Fred13[/QUOTE]

If these things can be worked out, they will be, with or without the stress of moving. If you want to live together, then do it, you don't have to be married to do that. Sure, you might piss some people off - my parents didnt speak to me for 3 months - but they'll get over it. Just don't rush into a marriage because you 'want to get it over with'. And make sure you're on the same page about this as your FI...what does he want to do?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_length-of-time-between-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b5997ded-3496-42ea-9de0-6d916df0087cPost:ba392af8-8599-4ac3-b48f-74bca2d9fc75">Re: Length of Time Between Wedding and Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with pixie ^. Life isn't always easy. Yeah, it might be hard adjusting to living together AND moving away from family and friends, but that seems like a choice you'll have to make.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Another part of being a grown up. Hard choices. It's annoying but we gotta do it!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Patience is a virtue, my dear.
  • Options
    it sounds like you're making very strange justifications for wanting to get married so that you can live together. just wait the four months. what's four months compared to the rest of your lives?
  • Options
    Don't be impetuous with the situation.  Wait for your sister to return, esp. since you'd ideally have a spring wedding anyway.  Like others have said, as an adult, you have to be able to control impulses and wait for things to happen in their proper time.  Just wait and do everything at the same time.  You have all the time in the world to be together afterwards!
  • Options
    Odd to me that you would even mention that your sister has never cared about weddings before... Maybe she cares about yours because she's your SISTER??
  • Options
    There ARE ladies here who did not live with their now-husbands before marriage who might be able to talk to you about the adjustment. And there's also a Christian weddings board: http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings

They might have a high percent of people who are waiting. Might be nice to talk to those who are in the same boat?
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Posted by Fred13[/QUOTE]

I had a friend who had a 40 person wedding (including dinner afterwards) and then a "reception" months later.  Don't do it.  It was insulting to those of us (about 100 people) who were only invited to the later reception.
  • Options
    I can understand your feelings - FI and I are not living together (due to our own personal beliefs) before marriage - and trust me, I'm couting down the days!  However, as much as I would love to just marry FI right now, there are pleanty of advantages to waiting too.  We are able to spend time planning the wedding we want, and we are learning LOTS of patience (which will probably come in handy later on too - haha).

There is NO WAY I would have a wedding where my sister (or family member, or even best friend/MOH) could not be present!  Like others said 4 months is worth the wait to have everyone there.  How long have you been engaged?

Also, about the 'not living together' part.  I obviously don't have anything against waiting for marriage, but don't do it because someone else wants you to.  If you want to wait, do it for YOUR OWN beliefs.  If you do it just to please someone else, you will get bitter and blame them.

Just my two cents :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    OP:  Not to hijack your post, but.... 

I also had very similar views, about not living together before marriage, but life didn't go that way.  My fiancee hurt his knee at basic training camp (US Army) and had nowhere to go: either to his parents in NY to live with them (at 34 years old) or move in with me. He had lived with his cousin before boot camp & split all his stuff between his folks & me.  So, he came to PA & we've been living together since November 2008 & to be honest, I'm so glad it's happened that way.  Living with someone is totally different than being engaged but living separately, or any other dating/engaged situation.  I honestly feel it's a great test to your relationship  to live together before being married.  It's a whole new world!!!

Although I was raised & still am Brethern, and did NOT plan on this, it's what life handed us & we went with it.  Yes, my parents & grandparents were upset but they loved me & stood by me.  The pastor at my church however, had a different plan: He single-handedly forbade me from playing piano at my church (where I grew up, and my parents & grandparents were married) because I refused to kick my man out & continued to 'live in sin'.  (it was the biggest 'slap in the face' I could have been dealth, as I'm pretty good at playing piano, love to do it, as well as so many of my church family providing encouragement & all that jazz)  He's only been at my church for 5 years and has made 'waves' with quite a few people & has already turned away  a bunch of long-term members.  Nobody else at church knew about it (the elders' team, music & worship committee)...only the pastor & his wife.

I guess my point is, that, you shouldn't rush into getting married, just cuz you want to.  It's a promise to yourselves (& to God, if you feel that way) that you will be together the rest of your lives....and like mentioned before, 4 months is so insignificant in comparison to 50 years.  Patience is a great virtue and does make you stronger. 

Plus, I would think you'd need the time until next Spring to get things booked, reserved, prepared & planned.  Would your venue & vendors even be available so soon (novemeber)?  I didn't see anybody else mention that aspect and I was curious about all that stuff: invites, menus, music, decorations, favors etc etc etc.  And, you said you both love Springtime anyways, plus your sister will be around.  It's like a win-win situation to wait til then.

Anyways, sorry to write a novel, but I understand where you're coming from, but like mentioned before, it needs to be YOUR & FIANCEE's beliefs that are influencing your decision, not being afraid to 'feel the wrath' of a parent scorned.  If it feels right for you guys, that's all that matters.

Good luck! :-)
    When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things must happen: There will be something solid for us to stand on, or we will be taught to fly. -Patrick Overton
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards