Utah

I wish this Board was more active.

Any followers on here? If so, When are you, or did you get married? And where? :-)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I wish this Board was more active.

• KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish it was more active too.  I'm getting married June 4 at La Caille.  When and where are you getting married?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a newcomer here, and I was disappointed that the Utah board didn't have more talk. I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel that way!

My date/venue hasn't been decided yet (I technically haven't been proposed to yet, but I think it will be happening this weekend!).  We've talked about September, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i check the boards all the time my parents are paying for most of the wedding and between my FI and myself we are picking up the rest. so im constantly looking for new ideas that wont break our budget. 
    were getting married Oct 3 @ the castle its in layton. 
    a good idea to find venues and things in utah is to go to a borders or a barnes and noble and buy the two different utah wedding magazines (barnes and noble is slightly cheaper) but both places carry a few different other magazines. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our date is July 30th at Ivy Lane in Ogden... Very excited about the location. My FI and I are paying for everything our selves. We might have to change our day, because it turns out 3 of his siblings and all our flower girls and ring bearer can't come the day we have chosen :-( I'm glad I actually got some responses! Great to hear from you girls.

Just curious... were any of you at the "Sip and Scan" at Macy's a few weeks ago?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

There are utah brides out there! I was starting to wonder. I'm getting married in September in southern utah and we are also paying for everything ourselves... we are planning on spending between 7000-7500 on the ceremony and reception. I'm not LDS so it has been awful trying to find a venue that will cater to my needs without breaking the bank. Has anyone else had this problem?

edited December 2011
    Unfortunately northern Utah is a bit better for non LDS.  If your thinking of something outdoors there should be a lot of options, such as national parks, which would be beautiful.  Also ski resorts are often less costly in the off season, so you could try something in Brion Head. 
  • edited December 2011
    I would have to agree that Northern Utah is better for us non-Mormons. That's about our budget too, and we are having a wedding with any attendance around 300.

There are definitely obstacles when planning a non-LDS wedding around here. It seems everyone caters to the LDS, and the rest of us just have to figure it all out on our own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rmc27armc27a member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ladies I am so sorry that you have had difficulty! I am LDS, but planning a wedding that will cater to a mainly non-LDS guest list and haven't had any difficulty with people in Northern Utah (SLC). Have you contacted No. Utah vendors and asked them for recs down south? That seems to be the way I have gotten most of my vendors - through other vendor recs.
    edited December 2011
    I found that venue and dress were the only uber LDS things, the rest was not that hard.  Restraints seem good for locations, but I don't know much outside of SLC.
  • edited December 2011
    I've really been enjoying the process. As stressful as it can be, It's been so much fun to run around and do all this stuff. FI's favorite part has been the cake taste testings!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    yay!  More Utah brides!

I'm getting married on a rooftop in downtown Salt Lake overlooking the valley at sunset on August 30th.  We would like to have dinner at Jasoh's in Ogden. 

We only have 16 guests.  The wedding is important, but we both would rather spend more money on the honeymoon and we're heading to Crete for 2 weeks.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_utah_wish-this-board-active?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:109Discussion:8c25e718-191a-43bd-952c-f4001946509aPost:105f5106-21c6-47bd-a5b0-c1ff6af4ca36">Re: I wish this Board was more active.</a>:
    [QUOTE]yay!  More Utah brides! I'm getting married on a rooftop in downtown Salt Lake overlooking the valley at sunset on August 30th.  We would like to have dinner at Jasoh's in Ogden.  We only have 16 guests.  The wedding is important, but we both would rather spend more money on the honeymoon and we're heading to Crete for 2 weeks.
    Posted by 48superfan[/QUOTE]

Oh that sounds so nice! My brother used to work at Josohs... so delicious. I think small weddings are awesome. Thanks for checking out the board!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Katherine611Katherine611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so glad to see brides posting!  I'm getting married in Memory Grove on July 30.  I agree that it's hard to find a venue that caters to non LDS brides.  The second you ask if they allow a bar, most venues tell you, "Of course, as long as your guests aren't rowdy!"  Once you find your venue though, it's so much easier to get the rest of your vendors in order.
  • edited December 2011
    slbinpink~Our first date was at Jasoh's and it was absolutely perfect! 

I've been casually planning my wedding since August of last year and when vendors ask me when I'm getting married, they're shocked with all the time I have.  I haven't run across any issues when planning a non LDS wedding, but I do notice it when searching for photographers.  Most of their portfolios are LDS weddings. 
    edited December 2011
    I think most weddings in Utah are planned much faster than other areas.  I also am non LDS and found that places that have bars already are easier to deal with. 

PS I love Memory Grove, its such a great place. 
  • edited December 2011

I was raised LDS and most of my family is but I am not having an LDS wedding. I was a little surprised when looking at reception centers almost all of them do not allow alcohol at all. LIke really? Im pretty sure there are a lot of people in Utah county that drink. And if they do allow alcohol it is under very strict conditions. I do also agree with most photographers galleries being of temple weddings, it is a little annoying!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I know what you mean about trying to find a place that will allow a bar... a lot of the places I've looked at have been very condescending about it. I think I may have finally found a venue though. It's a barn in zion and the ladies that run it seem really easy to work with. I just need to go see it in person to make sure I actually like it. I'm really hoping I do since it would fit perfectly with our rustic fall theme. I haven't even started looking for dresses yet, but when I do I'll go to Vegas to shop. @48superfan, I've been engaged since last July and it's really quite funny to see how shocked people are that I haven't even started seriously planning. We just decided on our date last month.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards