Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Alternatives to Cake?

I was wondering if anyone was planning on NOT having a cake.  I am having an English Garden wedding and was planning on having several different kinds of cake stands with various desserts on them (petit fours, lemon bars, small cupcakes, etc.).  But I didn't want to have an actual cake.  Is this considered a major no-no?

Re: Alternatives to Cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am no etiquette guru, but I think it is absolutely fine b/c the whole setting of your wedding.
  • Options
    UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's fine...I'm having cheesecake, so not exactly standard wedding cake, either.
  • Options
    bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All is well....there is no written law requiring a wedding cake. Many of todays brides choose a dessert served by the venue, cheesecake, pies, and I was at one that served monogramed whoopie pies! (a PA Dutch version of an Oreo Cakester)

I think your dessert table sounds absolutely perfect for your wedding theme!
  • Options
    pavingtheroadpavingtheroad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

There is no rule that you must have cake, wear white, etc. Its your wedding so do what you want and enjoy your day. I think guests will welcome the different desserts instead of the typical cake especially for your setting

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It sounds really cute (and yummy). If you wanted to cut the cake you could always just buy a round cake frosted in white from a grocery store and decorate it with flowers. But there is no rule saying you have to have a cake.
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have a traditional wedding cake.  We had cheesecake instead.  Pics in married bio.

There's no etiquette when it comes to something like cake.  Serve what you like and what you think your guests will enjoy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Let your imagination run wild!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wanted to do this with cupcakes mini cheesecakes, truffles etc. My dad got disappointed, apparently his favorite part of weddings is the cake cutting, and He and my mom are paying the dinner (not the dessert tho) but he was so cute, telling me about all the cute cpls hes seen do the cake cutting, and all the symbolism, and suggesting we bake a giant cupcake in a soup pot (!) its the only thing he got excited about the wedding, we decided to lose the truffles, and get a small cake for cutting. Not a giant cupcake tho!

I would love lemon bars at a wedding!

• Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would like a selection of desserts rather than wedding cake.

We're going to have cake, b/c that's what we can afford. A dessert bar is about $3-something per person at our venue so it's more costly than the cake and we're on a budget.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having cupcakes from a neat place in Portland, OR! Do what YOU want!
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about tarts?
  • Options
    tme820tme820 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I've seen doughnuts used as wedding cakes.  You don't have to go with a cake, go with what you want and set it up elegantly. Be Creative and Let your Imagination go Wild. Laughing

Examples of Doughnut Cakes:

• Options
    abbiewebsterabbiewebster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is an adorable idea.....i already ordered my wedding cake but i was definately leanign towards the idea of lots of different desserts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards