May 2012 Weddings
Options

budget??!

Hey!!
I'm completely new at this-- i keep looking at all these just engaged articles and they say planning a budget is one of the most important things to do, but i have no idea how much it should be. Can anyone tell me the average amount people set aside for weddings?? Help! =/
thanks,
Rianne

Re: budget??!

• Options
    jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2010
    This (<-- is clicky!!!) link should give you the average cost of a wedding your area. The average varies from city to city, state to state.

For example, my FI and I are getting married in Boston. Couples getting married within the 02116 zip code (where our reception will be) spend between $23,990 and $39,983. Where I grew up in the 01850 zip code, just 30 miles north of Boston, couples spend between $14,680 and $24,466. It's a big difference within such a short distance.

Personally, I think that the budget is the most important factor in a wedding. It basically dictates every single thing you're able to do, spend/book. And I don't think you should determine a budget by the average amount spent, but by the amount that you and your FI are able to set aside for it. I wouldn't go broke or lose the deposit my FI and I have saved up for him to have my "dream wedding." To me, that's just not reasonable.
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • Options
    thank you soo much!! i'll definitely check it out :)
  • Options
    Np! (o: GL!!!
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • Options
    This is something I need to figure out too! There is actually a budget tool here on the knot which looks helpful....http://planning.theknot.com/wedding-budget.
    Most people I've talked to or friends that have gotten married were in the $20000-$25000 range, though I think I'd personally like to go lower, maybe $15000 or so.
    This is something my FI and I still have to figure out--how much we want to put into it and my parents haven't offered to pay for anything yet so I'll have to wait to see if they can contribute (they are currently paying my for younger sister's entire wedding). I'm hoping though with starting planning almost 2 years in advance I can find a lot of money saving and DIY tips!

:)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we've officially set a $10,000 budget :)
  • Options
    We are in college (getting married a week after we graduate) and we both have teenage siblings that still live at home that our parents support, so our budget is going to be very tight. Right now we're looking at between 5,000-7,000 at the max. I think we can make it work, as we're planning to DIY everything (invited, decor and food) but it will be hard. Good luck planning!
    May 2012: April Signature Challenge: Wedding Venue
    imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:624c4063-6446-4d30-819e-349b60c6a0c6Post:bfbb24cb-64b6-40fe-ad77-aa5672a1272f">Re: budget??!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are in college (getting married a week after we graduate) and we both have teenage siblings that still live at home that our parents support, so our budget is going to be very tight. Right now we're looking at between 5,000-7,000 at the max. I think we can make it work, as we're planning to DIY everything (invited, decor and food) but it will be hard. Good luck planning!
    Posted by kedorsett[/QUOTE]

I am in the exact same boat as you! My FI and I are paying for everything ourselves so we are trying to keep it under 5,000. We have also decided to open up a joint bank account and we plan on depositing like 20% of our paychecks into the account and let it grow over the next two years. We are also saving up our coins in coin jars to add to the fund as well. The little things help! There is a wonderful message board here on the knot that are super helpful, I've gotten most of my budgeting and DIY tips from there. I have also picked up <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Bridal-Bargains-9th-Fantastic-Realistic/dp/1889392294/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266937640&sr=1-1">http://www.amazon.com/Bridal-Bargains-9th-Fantastic-Realistic/dp/1889392294/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266937640&sr=1-1</a> this book which has been a big help as well.
  • Options
    We haven't set an actual budget yet since it is so far off, and its really hard to set aside for a wedding currently. We have found the venue that we are 100% committed to booking, and luckily they have an inclusive package for about $10,000. It includes facility rental, tables / chairs, linens, place settings, non alcoholic drink service, catering, cake, photography, floral, dj, and videography through their contracted vendors. It seems more budget friendly plus it minimizes the searching for vendors. We plan on DIY'ing the center pieces, stationary, etc so that we can have that location, but still stay within a price range we can afford.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Right there with you!
    newimagesize Anniversary Vacation
  • Options
    I am marrying my highschool sweetheart, i am 18 he is 20.. our budget is 7500 because we are paying for it on our own due to parents being tight on money
  • Options
    I'm with some of you all...I'm in graduate school and my FI is in the military and getting his degree online so we are looking at $6,000-$7,000.  The DIY and Budget Bride boards are great
    Graphics Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ladies!!!!  Reading this has made me feel a little better...I felt like I was the only one with less that $10,000 to work with! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards