Retro and Vintage Weddings

Hi Muffins!

I'm sorta kinda back!  For now... sorta kinda :P

I'm sitting in an internet cafe in my new home in Canada suffering from reverse culture shock.  I ordered an iced coffee and got some sugary slushy crap instead of coffee with icecubes in it like I'm used to.  :(  I almost started crying in the supermarket last night when I saw how pricey chicken was.  It actually had nothing to do with the price of chicken, I'm just finding moving back a little too overwhelming right now.  But... I have a roof over my head, but no telephone, internet or .... tv yet.  So when I'm not organizing, unpacking, or painting old furniture, my apartment is pretty boring.  Plus I'm here alone.  FI and I were denied a student loan so he had to go back to Pennsylvania for a few weeks to work at his current job so we can afford to set ourselves up in Canada.  grrrrrrrr.  But he immigrated to Canada with no major issues on the third, and things are looking up.  But his paternal grandpa died two days ago and I can't even call him to talk to him.  That feels pretty rubbish.  I hate feeling helpless when someone I love is hurting.

Ok here's the wedding related stuff I've been up to since August 3rd:

I dyed my crinny purple,
I went for my hair trial.  She did three styles on me--the last one was pretty good.  Sorry I have no pics of the front, but here's the back!

bought my wedding day makeup,
had my bridal shower and it was a riot!  I got basically nothing from my registry, but my lovely family made me so many gifts.  My grandma made me a set of babydoll 1940s style PJs from vintage fabric, my mum knit me a beautiful violet cotton afghan, I got lots of family heirlooms, etc.  It was bloody fantastic! (pardon my language, but it was).  My maid of honour was even there via skype webcam.  She's all the way out in British Columbia and my aunt set up the laptop in the living room, and so my MOH even participated in all the games, and did her MOH duties--writing down all the names of gift givers and the gifts they got me.  I also got to meet my darling flower girl for the first time (she was born right before I went to Japan two years ago).  Here's a picture of some of us (MOH included--notice she has a hat on the laptop) wearing funny hats for one of the games:

flower girl:

got my dress and went for my first dress fitting,
saw my vintage/borrowed veil for the first time--and almost cried.  Unfortunately, it's a bit yellowed with age, so I'll have to work on restoring that.  My FI's nan also had some beautiful lace wrist-length gloves (omg how lucky for me! My shorty search is over!),
visited the venue for the first time and got the table layout organized,
visited the minister with FI and had a pre-marrital counceling session which was awesome,
calligraphy-addressed and assembled the invites (and sent them off two days ago! OMG)  I am so SO pleased with the results.  They are absolutely beautiful, and I couldn't be happier,
I'm currently breaking in my wedding shoes (love love love them),
finished the photo cufflinks for FI,
finished the flowergirl basket

All this stuff I promise I will provide photos for in my bio as soon as I get the internet.  I was careful to take photos of the important stuff (like invitations) but I used my mum's camera.

P.S. has anyone heard from RobotCake yet? 
Our Wedding Website
Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: Hi Muffins!

• Awesome! Sounds like things are falling into place for you.
    Your flower girl is absolutely adorable!
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe
  • So glad you are (almost) back and safely home. No word from RobotCake yet. Can't wait to see your latest projects. I have some finished that I haven't put up yet.
    Anniversary
  • So glad you are doing well! We miss you terribly.
    *Katie & David* July 22nd 2011 Our Shindig and Blog Updated Weekly! Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • wowee you have been busy!!! so glad to see you back - we missed you!!!!
    ps your hair looks awesome and i cant wait to see pics of EVERYTHINGGGG

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Thanks ladies!  I missed you all too.  I'm having the internet set up on the 1st of September, so I'll be a regular again then.

I added these to my bio also, but here are some pics of the invites! (sorry for the blurry pics... the camera is on the fritz).

I also did some invites with a thinner ribbon (for those not invited to the rehearsal dinner--I saved the wider ribbon for the heavier packaging)

all packaged and ready to be licked! Ö.ö

My white calligraphy and vintage stamps!  This invite is for my American buddy Ryan, whom I met in Finland.  I tried to affix stamps that spoke to something about the guest as well as Matt and I.  (Finland, Finnish/American stamps for him, American and Toronto stamps for Matt and I).

(blurred for his privacy)

Sorry I have no photos of the RSVP envelope, but they were taken on another camera.

Our Wedding Website
  • holy moly those look amazing. you should do that as a profession...you are awesome!!

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • Your invites are awesome! I'm curious how you did the hearts.
    *Katie & David* July 22nd 2011 Our Shindig and Blog Updated Weekly! Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks ladies!

Katie--I just bought some little heart doilies.  I was going to write the names on the space on the solid heart in the middle of them, but found that the heart was too small.  So a bought a larger sized heart punch and punched some larger white solid hearts and attached those with the written names to the heart doilies.  Make sense?

I think I'm going to make up a fake invitation addressed to Matt and I for the wedding as a keepsake.  I was kinda sad that we didn't get one :P  Anyone else do this or something similar?
    Our Wedding Website
  • we have missed you and your wonderful ideas!!

Glad to hear things are looking better for you!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker photo dip1004.jpg
  • I love your hair style, and your shower looks like it was really fun-- everyone looks really cute in the silly hats :)  Looks like things are really moving along for you.

The invites look great! So creative.  That's a cute idea to address one to yourselves.  We didn't do that exactly, but we made sure to save a few extras in our keepsake box. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i missed you too! im sorry things werent going well but your a tough cookie! hope all is getting better and i am so sorry to hear about your FI's paternal grandpa! thats soooo sad! but he is in a better place now! i like the pics and i am glad it is all coming together for you! hopefully soon i will have some new updates to keep you posted but so far just more dress drama!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards