Maryland

how to stay within a budget

hey ladies,
 just need some tips in trying to stay within a budget. My fiance and i have been engaged for almost 3 years and i think were finally going to get married, but are probably going to have a pretty tight budget.
Were doing our ceremony in Myrtle Beach and a reception back home.
Im hopeing to stay within a bugdet of $7000.
any advice or ideas would be awesome!
thanks

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: how to stay within a budget

• edited December 2011
    Kinda long . . . .

Beer and wine only is a great way to save money.  It should satisfy almost every one, they should be there to celebrate your marriage not get hammered on top shelf liquor anyway.

Don't have floral centerpieces.  I am painting bowls and putting floating candles in them.  for 25 centerpieces (made extra in case of breakage) including all supplies.  Less than $250.  The Knot budgeter told me I'd be spending closer to $1000 on centerpieces because it assumes flowers.

With the flowers that you do use, stick with one in season and stay away from more fragile ones like peonies (or use them sparingly instead of everywhere).

I actually started by entering in the info for The Knot Budgeter to see how it allocated money.  I then tinkered with it (and still am as there is a ways to go to our wedding) because I am spending more on this and less on that.  Or not doing something altogether.  Pick one, maybe two 'splurge' items.  Like your dress or photographer.  Compromise everywhere else.

Other really big money savers, don't have your reception on Saturday.  By us getting married on a Sunday we saved a cool grand just on the booking fees.  If we were getting married in the 'off-season' (Nov to March or April depending on location) we would of gotten 25% off all the food too.  We almost went for it, but decided we really wanted to get married outside.  A little cold in Feb in Maryland for Granny to be outside! 

Some vendors give discounts for Friday or Sunday weddings because they aren't as popular as Saturdays. We did Sunday because we figured most people take one day off for weddings anyway.  So instead of taking Friday, our guests will take off on Monday instead.

Biggest expense hands down though is always your guest count.  So go small with the guest list or go less expensive with the food.  That depends on your family size/situtation.

Also, since it sounds like you have the time.  By any supplies on sale and/or with coupons and DIY as much as possible.  I bought everything I needed at Michaels with the 40% an item coupon.  New one prints out each time.  Literally was making 3 trips per week to the store buying one thing at a time.  Did I use the 40% off coupon on something that cost $2.99?  Yes.  Savings is savings and I probably saved at least $250 doing that.  That is half the cost of our DJ.  So hells yeah I did it. 

If you do that though, you need to plan out what you are doing and how much you need of each thing.  Some items can get discontinued, so you can't always count on getting something 5 months later.  I got lucky when they discontinued something I was buying, they still had stock left at a store by my mom.

Hope this helps!
  • ladydee215ladydee215 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should try to have everything in one place like someone yard or if you can find a location that you can negoiate the price.  Do not spend more than $3,500 for your wedding and reception.  Use the rest of your money for pictures, flowers and have people help you. 

Look for companies that are just starting out because you can get alot of discounts due to they are trying to get there name out there and they are looking for business.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello!

Congratulations on your engagement!  I just wanted to message you because my husband has just recently started his own photography business and would love to do your wedding for a great price!  He is very creative and takes great photos, plus he offers an UNBEATABLE wedding photography package that includes all of your edited photos on a cd for you to print/share as you wish.  He is also offering a special where you get a free engagement shoot if you book by Oct. 31!  Check out his website at http://darrellmcdavidphotography.shutterfly.com or email him at darrellmcdavidphotography@ymail.com.  thanks!

Kristin 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards