Washington-Seattle

Trying to find motivation

So I've not been good about working out, though am watching what I eat - and not just before it goes in my mouth Smile

I'm trying to come up with some motivational techniques to get myself moving.  It's hard as I've been batting a still undiagnosed illness since last fall that makes me tired a lot of the time. 

I know I'll feel better once I get moving but I just can't seem to make myself do it.  It's not just for looking better in the wedding photos, but I know I need to do it for me and my future health and happiness.

Does anyone have any good tips they can share on how to get, and stay motivated?  I've tried joining a gym but that didn't work, we have a good exercise bike at home which I use about once a week (when I'm "good"), and both Wii Fit and Kinnect!  So the tools are there, just not the energy or desire to work out.

Any suggestions are welcome! 

Re: Trying to find motivation

• edited December 2011
    I know you said you tried a gym and it didn't work. You don't mention why so I'm still going to root for a good gym. You may have simply been at the wrong one. I am a major fan of at least the Tacoma YMCAs. To me, it's a better community than many gyms and people looking to have fun and stay healthy. Find a class that works for you, make some friends in the class, and then it will feel like a stress-relieving social activity rather than plodding along at the gym (plus you have someone else to do the thinking part of your workout for you).

That said, not everyone feels comfortable in the gym and no matter how many times people tell you that they're just happy you're there and that you go at your own pace, it's just not fun and that's okay, too.

If you're doing it all alone at home or around the neighborhood, set a time for it. Without a specific time, it will always be "after I do x..." Then, just tell yourself you only have to do 10 minutes. If you still aren't feeling it, you can quit. Sometimes you'll quit after 10 minutes but most of the time you'll find that you're having at least an alright if not good time and keep at it.

And, as always, set specific fitness goals and strive for them. Focus on being able to do things - like hiking Mt. Si - and it will be easier.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    A few thoughts:

1) I would recommend getting your illness under control. I was finally diagnosed with hashimotos (an auto-immune thyroid disease), and makes a big difference in terms of energy. If you're interested, I was finally successfully diagonosed by Dr. Weber (an MD) and a naturopath he works with. http://redmondhc.com/ This is their website, definitely check them out.

2) Next, I would examine your diet. For me, cutting out grains and legumes made a huge difference. I now eat similarly to "primal" or "paleo," have much more energy, and it's huge. 

Links I wrote on another post:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com (and the corresponding forums) + the primal blueprint book (mark has a free ebook on his website, but I went ahead and bought the book on kindle)robb wolf (http://robbwolf.com/) and his book the paleo solutiongood calories bad calories by gary taubes. plus he has a new book called "why we get fat" which is supposed to be good (I'm currently reading good calories bad calories, but haven't finished yet).And the link to that post with more links: http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/51305915.aspx3) In the primal blueprint, Mark has some great info about moving/exercise/activity. What I would recommmend, is first start by just walking and moving. I tracked my calories for awhile using a body bugg, and I can burn more than days I "exercise" just by walking a bunch, doing things like housework, etc. I also highly recommend at least 2 but not more than 3 strength training sessions per week.Let me know if you have any more questions!
  • zoiesmurfzoiesmurf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I find that if I have a specific appointment, I'm alot better about going. I have been doing pilates, as part of my recovery from a car accident. I see a private instructor so I have specific appointments, so I feel like I have to go. I also did TaeKwonDo before my car accident, and there are also set classes every week. Similar situation, they're not an option. But you could also just set appointments for yourself to do whatever works for you. The other thing that really helps me get my butt down the our apt gym, is when FI is willing to go with me after work. HTH!
    December 2011 Weddings September Siggy: Shoes
    Vintage shoes I found at an antique store about 10 years ago :)

CIMG0051

Retro/Vintage Siggy Challenge: Favorite Vintage Movie
    sabrina

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I recently started kickboxing and it has been amazing in dealing with my everyday stress, along with the benefits of exercise.  I enjoy more choreographed things and while I haven't tried Zumba, I've heard it's a blast.

Workout buddies help too.  If you don't meet them or go, you're not just letting yourself down but you're letting them down too.  Any close friends or family that you can invite over to use the Wii Fit or Kinect?  I did Dance Central with my future stepdaughter and was a blast!  We competed and took turns, so we didn't have to use up too much room AND it was such a great workout!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tbird87Tbird87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I joined a dance fitness place in Wallingford to jump start getting in shape for the wedding.  I mostly just do Zumba, which is a lot of fun and pretty good exercise.  I really like a couple of the instructors and some of the other women who work out there, and I find that I am motivated to make it to their classes.  I signed up for a monthly membership that is automatically charged to my credit card, and I find myself motivated to not waste $$ by sitting at home instead of having a fun/rewarding work out.

So i guess my trick is to have multiple motivations for everything.  If i'm not really in the "mood" for Zumba, I am motivated by not wasting $$.  Other times I may just want to hang out with my work out friends.  
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  Budget is a big issue so anything that will takes $$ isn't in the cards right now (I'm a federal employee and possibly getting a temp layoff in a week).

I keep trying to set a time or an "appointment" with myself to do it, but I think they fact that I use to have much more energy and now have very little is part of this.  It's frustrating to not be able to do what I used to do!

I appreciate the suggestions and will be going over them again today to try and figure what will work best for me.  Hoping this weekend's shopping with my MOH and BMd will help. 
  • edited December 2011
    I try to make my workout no negotiable. Look at it as you do with brushing your teeth. You're not going to say you feel too tired or just don't want to brush your teeth, right. You have to make it something you just do. Period. It's not negotiable. I too struggle daily with my weight and I know how hard it is! The other thing I do is ask myself do I want diabetes? Or do I want to suck it up and go to yoga, walk,ride my bike,etc. Try to find something you like and it will work:) it will. Stick with it and it gets easier. Good vibes to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards